May I post a suggestion? Re: Wheelchairs

homer424

Mouseketeer
This may be a moot point, but for those who may be renting/bringing a wheelchair for the first time: I suggest getting a mesh shopping bag from a discount store-I bought mine at Walmart but I am sure they have them anywhere-and then use it to attach to the back of the wheelchair. One handle of the bag over each handle of the wheelchair and it is a convienent place to stuff all your stuff plus it is away from the wheels and if anything leaks or busts, it will flow out of the bag and not stay contained in until the next time you open it up.

Like I said, you probably all are going "duh, Donna!" but I did not think of this until a day before our trip when a friend of ours who went suggested this. So if this just helped one person, then I did my part! LOL

Donna

homer424 said:
Like I said, you probably all are going "duh, Donna!" but I did not think of this until a day before our trip when a friend of ours who went suggested this. So if this just helped one person, then I did my part! LOL

Nope, it's not a "duh"-worthy suggestion! Thanks, Donna - it's a GOOD idea!

Good suggestion for those using a wheelchair. One thing I try to remember each time I leave my room with the ECV is a towel for the seat area. The FL sun can bake the seat even in cooler months.

JudithM said:
Good suggestion for those using a wheelchair. One thing I try to remember each time I leave my room with the ECV is a towel for the seat area. The FL sun can bake the seat even in cooler months.

I always do this too. Don't tell Disney, but last trip I forgot not to do this on check-out day, and I now have one extra white towel at home!

Andrew

I think it's a good idea.
My DD lives in her wheelchair and has a variety of different bags hanging from it. Bags are not something we really think of telling people because they are so common to us that we totally overlook them.

As long as we're making suggestions, I have one:

If you don't usually use a wheelchair at home, especially for the long days that "doing Disney" requires, it can be very hard on the back/hips/bum. You can always snag a pillow from your hotel room, but my DH found last trip that putting an Obus form (bottom and back) in the chair helped somewhat.

Of course, this becomes a little less convenient if you're only renting a chair at the parks, but if you're using a resort WC or one from an offsite company, and it will go with you everywhere, that extra padding can make a difference. A small cushion might also work.

Although we're convinced that nothing short of shock absorbers will make the Animal Kingdom less bumpy!

Shelley

Read my Disney blog!
http://www.movershakerbirthdaycakebaker.blogs.com/remember_the_magic

My sisters wheel chair comes with a bag. It comes in really handy!!!

Thanks Donna for that great tip! I just started posting on this board, so all tips and suggestions on this board I take into consideration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter