May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 31: The Walt Disney World Thrill Ride Tour – Epcot

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
Part 31: The Walt Disney World Thrill Ride Tour – Epcot: The Only Way to Ride Test Track

May 30, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)

I arrived at Epcot at 8:00 am and they were just letting cars in. I would not get free parking today, but my parking is free anyway with my annual pass. I would have parked in Disney-MGM Studios like yesterday, but I didn’t feel like experiencing Van on Demand again. I parked in Journey, row 6 and I had forgotten to write it down.

I walked to the front gates. There was no need to wait for a tram. My ankles were still hurting a bit from yesterday. I was supposed to meet two people here for the tour, but I didn’t see them. I walked around the ticket booths and didn’t see anyone that I recognized. About 5 minutes before opening, the Jammators came out and played for us. I would have gotten a better view if a guy wasn’t standing right in front of them. He was recording them with his video camera. I guess the zoom feature wasn’t working. I was tempted to throw a rock at him (if I could find one).

The park opened at 8:30 and I headed straight to Test Track. I first got a Fast Pass and my return time was 8:55 to 9:55. I didn’t really need to get one since there was no line, but that seemed to be the only way I could walk through the regular queue. I always use the single riders line when I go on Test Track. The standby line seems to be outside. The only way to see the queue these days is to grab a Fast Pass.

I then went into the standby line and I entered the preshow area immediately. There again were the same two people I saw a few days ago! Test Track is usually open from 8:30 to 10:00. These people must work 13 ½ hour days, seven days a week! It must be rough, but if that will make guests happy, then so be it!

I rode in the front seat on the passenger’s side. The same things weren’t working as a few days ago. The onboard video was out and one of the corrosive chemical robot arms weren’t working. I exited the ride and waited a few minutes for my Fast Pass window to open. When it did, I went through the Fast Pass line.

I walked slowly through the queue and videotaped it. The stuff there is interesting, but it is noisy. I didn’t mind it for the few minutes that I was in the queue, but I think that it would drive me nuts after a few hours of wait! I think the Cast Member was waiting on me since he left the doors open until I entered. The preshow was starting when I entered. The Cast Member must have been very patient since he was not tapping his toes or show annoyance in his voice. It was like, “Right this way, sir!”

This time, I sat on the front seat, driver’s side. I never get to sit on the driver’s side since I always use Fast Pass. The ride was the same, but it seemed like a new experience since I was on a different side. I videotaped the final speed test. It was hard to hold onto my camera while the car zoomed along.

Next was Body Wars. I walked on the ride. My only wait was a few minutes for the preshow. I noticed that when one of the characters called our mission number, he said “229er.” Now why do people say “Niner” in movies? War movies do it for a ship number or mission number, like “119er.” What is the significance of an extra “-er” on a number? People must think that it sounds really cool to say it. If your street address ends in a 9, maybe you ought to add an “-er” on it, like “349er First Street.” People will think that you are so cool!

I got on Body Wars and our cabin was half full. I would think so since most people are probably hitting the fist ride that they see, which would be Spaceship Earth. I didn’t find Body Wars too exciting. There are a few bumps and shakes, but nothing much. I think that I am de-sensitized to simulator rides since I rode the ultimate and roughest one in the planet at Universal Studios – Back to the Future: The Ride!

I headed to Epcot’s exit. There were people coming in, but the crowd wasn’t so bad. I headed to the monorail to go to the Magic Kingdom.

Thanks for the great report! :D

Barry, thanks for the great reports. We did just about the same thing you did for Test Track when we went in June. We got the idea from reading the trip reports board. We got our FP for TT, rode the singles line, then went to Body Wars before returning for our FP. I wish that they'd make Body Wars more like Back to the Future. For some reason, I get sick on it. On the other hand, I can ride BTTF over and over and never feel sick at all. Must be the DeLorean!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter