May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 32: The Walt Disney World Thrill Ride Tour – Magic Kingdom

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
Part 32: The Walt Disney World Thrill Ride Tour – Magic Kingdom: Like Sardines in Cans

May 30, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29er-year old)

I arrived at Epcot’s monorail at 9:45 am for a trip to the Magic Kingdom. There were very few people waiting. When I arrived at the Transportation and Ticket Center at 10:00 am, people were packing into the monorail to the Magic Kingdom like sardines again! The monorail line was halfway down the ramp! Yesterday, I went over via the ferryboat. Today I will try the monorail. The monorail wasn’t as packed as a New York City subway, but I think every monorail run was to capacity. I really wasn’t expecting huge crowds like this in May. I was expecting crowds to be moderate after the Memorial Day weekend.

As I arrived and entered the park at around 10:15 am, I noticed that a train was waiting for passengers. I hurried to the entrance, but by the time I made it, the train had already left. The Cast Member said that another one will be around in five minutes. I decided to wait for the train. My ankles were still hurting a bit from yesterday, so I wanted to try to stay off my feet. My next stop was Animal Kingdom and I would get enough walking there.

As I waited for the train, I pondered about the crowds. Even as I entered, people were packed into the park like sardines. Everywhere I turned was another person. As much as I like some of the rides at the Magic Kingdom, if I had to cut out a park during a Disney World visit, I’d probably cut the Magic Kingdom. Otherwise, I’d do it first thing to avoid the monstrous crowds.

I departed the train at Mickey’s Toontown Fair to ride the Barnstormer. I arrived at 10:30 am. The posted wait for the Barnstormer was 15 minutes, but I was on in 5. The ride was fun, but short. I was anticipating 60 minute waits later in the day. I think that is too long to wait for such a short ride. Too bad I can’t get a Fast Pass for this one.

I walked from Mickey’s Toontown Fair to Tomorrowland for Space Mountain. I knew that for sure I would have to pick up a Fast Pass for this one. As I walked to Tomorrowland, something surprising happened. I shifted my weight and my ankle stopped hurting! Whoopee! I could’ve done cartwheels if I was gymnastically inclined. I was now really ready to be on my feet all day!

I went to Space Mountain and the standby wait was 45 minutes. I picked up a Fast Pass and my return time was from 12:35 to 1:35. As I passed by the stage near Space Mountain, I noticed some school groups there. One school group was all dressed in black suits and they walked in “S” formations around the stage. I started singing, “Here come the Men in Black…” Seriously, I figured that the park was crowded because a lot of school groups were there. It made sense on why they were here. They could have an extended vacation with the Memorial Day weekend. I never thought of that!

I had three other rides to check. I walked to Fantasyland and I wanted to ride the Mad Tea Party, but it was a 15-minute wait. I didn’t feel like waiting that long for the ride. It doesn’t bother me, but this is one of the few rides I get self-conscious on when I ride it alone. I feel like I am hogging up a cup to myself when a family of four can enjoy it. I decided to mark the wait down and add 15 minutes to my total tour time.

I headed back to Mickey’s Toontown Fair to ride the train to Frontierland. I knew that Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad would have huge crowds, so I would have to wait in line for one of them. When I arrived at Frontierland, I checked out the wait times. Splash Mountain had a 35-minute wait and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad had a 25-minute wait. I couldn’t get a Fast Pass since I was already holding one. I decided on the shorter wait for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

I hadn’t waited for a ride for this amount of time in a long while. The wait didn’t feel overly burdensome since the line was constantly moving. The line was kind of deceptive, though. When I thought that I would go into the loading bay, the line moved behind a wall and I waited some more! The wait was indeed 25 minutes long. I rode the coaster and it was fun! I tried to videotape the ride, but all I ended up getting mostly was the back of a lady’s head.

It was close to noon, so I decided to plan my next move. I was making a Fast Pass plan.

Glad to hear your ankle didn't hurt anymore! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter