May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 34: Walt Disney World Thrill Ride Tour – Animal Kingdom

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
Part 34: The Walt Disney World Thrill Ride Tour – Animal Kingdom: All That Walking

May 30, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)

I arrived at Animal Kingdom at 3:00 pm. As I entered Animal Kingdom, I noticed that the park put up large directional signs. I’m not sure if people are still getting lost, but the signs help you in guiding you on where to go. I also noticed that Animal Kingdom was more crowded at 3:00 pm than I remember. When the park first opened, it was deserted by 3:00 pm. I miss those days!

I checked the information board. The Cast Member standing beside it gave me a hearty “Hello sir!” Dinosaur had a 60-minute wait. Kali River Rapids had a 50-minute wait. I decided to get a Fast Pass for Dinosaur and wait in line for Kali River Rapids. I think 50 minutes is too long for Kali River Rapids, but I had to do it for the test.

I went to Dinosaur and the standby wait was 25 minutes. I got a Fast Pass anyway. I didn’t want to walk all the way to Kali River Rapids for a Fast Pass and come all the way back to Dinosaur for a ride. My return time was 3:40 to 4:40. I noticed that Dinosaur had some new dinosaur statues. They even had a cast of Sue on display! It was a good time for some photos.

I took the long walk to Kali River Rapids. As I took the trip, I noticed a pattern at Animal Kingdom. You walk into a land. Then you pass a lot of food and drink shops before arriving at the ride. No wonder there are so many food and drink shops – you’re so tired after the walk that you need refreshment! Michael Eisner must have patted Joe Rhodes on the back!

The wait for Kali River Rapids was 35 minutes, although it felt more like 15 minutes. I was on the ride and this was the first time I ever got soaked on it. As the raft went down the waterfall, my back was facing the water below. That means I’m at ground zero! The raft hit the water and, sploosh, I got hit by the drink! I will leave a wet spot on the Dinosaur seat for sure!

I went back to Dinosaur to use my Fast Pass. The long walk dried me off. I was still a little damp, though. The standby wait for Dinosaur was still 25 minutes. I used my Fast Pass and was on in about 5 minutes. I was able to fill in an empty single seat in the front of a vehicle. The ride is fun, but I wish Disney would do something with the dark spots. The ride is like dinosaurs, dark spot, dinosaurs, dark spot, etc. Maybe Dr. Seeker needs to come on the speakers and say, “Sorry, folks, Disney ran out of money during this part, so we’re just going to bump you around in the dark. Have fun!”

It was now time to go to Disney-MGM Studios. I took the bus over and arrived at 4:30.

barry skips a bullet! turn in next time when he trys to go 13 stories in an abanded elevator!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter