May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 37: COSI

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
June 1, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)

Other than theme parks and roller coasters, I like to visit aquariums and science museums. I can stare at fish all day at aquariums. As for science museums, I have a special affinity for them since my first job was at one (although they did end up laying me off). Also, I feel like I learn so much from science museums. When I walk out of one, I feel my head is 10 pounds heavier from all the stuff I learn. The thing that made me want to visit COSI is that they were playing Dolphins. I hadn’t seen it on an IMAX screen since the Orlando Science Center. Plus, my Orlando Science Center membership gets me free admission to many science museums around the country. The IMAX film would be at an extra cost.

I arrived and the day was sunny. I felt a slight chill, but it was warm enough to wear shorts. I got admission to COSI. Admission to the exhibits was free, but the IMAX movie was $5. I noticed that I didn’t have my camera. I had my video camera, but not my still camera. I wouldn’t have any good pictures then. I decided to see if the gift shop had any. They did, but a school group was trying to check out at one time. I decided to eat first and then come back later when the line is shorter. I ate in the cafeteria and had a burger and fries. By this time, I had a hard time looking at another burger. I almost had the pizza, but they looked so tiny and they would not fill me up. The burger was good and reasonably priced. I then picked up a disposable camera at the gift shop.

COSI had a traveling exhibit called “A Dinosaur Named Sue.” The bones looked a lot like the ones I saw at Animal Kingdom and for good reason. Disney World bankrolled part of Sue’s bones purchase. The exhibit had some interesting things. The most interesting thing was how the view of a T-Rex changed over time. 100 years ago, scientists saw the T-Rex as a slow, lumbering beast. Today’s view is like Jurassic Park: fast and a hunter.

It was getting close to 3:00, so I headed to the Extreme Screen Theater for the Dolphins film. The screen was a large, curved screen. Most IMAX screens are domed shaped. Still, it was chance to see the movie on the big screen. I have it on DVD, but it’s just not the same as seeing it five stories tall. While I waited for the show, a few kids behind me were carrying on. A man wore a bandana with a Confederate flag on it. The kids behind me were saying that the man had a racist flag on his head. They were trying to speak low so that he wouldn’t hear them. I thought that if they carried on like this during the movie, I would have to move. They stopped chattering during the movie.

When I saw Dolphins previously, I had to hold my breath because the underwater scenes were so realistic. I didn’t do that this time. I didn’t cry as hard when they showed the Sam LaBuddy film. Still, it was good to see the movie again on the big screen.

After the show, I headed to other parts of the museum. I went into the Progress area, which showed COSI’s progress from its openings in the 1950’s to today. It also had some old computers, like a Commodore 64. I think I still have one in my closet!

Next I visited the Life area, which had exhibits about the human body. The most interesting part of the area was Spirit. The area had a warning that said people may find the attraction too disturbing, to which I responded, “Turn it up, dude!” Actually, the Spirit area was the most interesting area in the whole museum. It showed how people view death and the ceremonies associated with death. It also had video screens of people talking about death – a woman with terminal cancer, a young girl, a WWII veteran, and others. Other areas of the exhibit showed things about the eye and had a game were you could use an eye laser (not on a real eye, of course). One exhibit I noticed that generated some attention was a breast cancer exhibit. A 12-year-old kid was giggling at the pictures of breasts. I’m sure that he will see breasts in a different way in a few years!

I headed downstairs to the I/O area. This had a lot of exhibits about computers. The area that interested me the most were computers connected to the Internet. I hadn’t checked the boards in a few days, so it was a godsend! I sat at a computer for a long time and caught up on the boards. I could have stayed here for the entire visit, but if I wrote that I hung out at COSI during my days in Ohio, people would have responded, “You traveled all that way just to use the computers? Can’t you do that at home?” Besides, Millenium Force at Cedar Point was calling.

I then headed to the Oceans area, which was in rehab. It was open for a quick walkthrough. I went back upstairs to the Space exhibit. The entrance to the exhibit was a rotating tunnel, much like the one at WonderWorks. This time, Dick Dale was played in the background. I didn’t get a chance to explore the exhibits since the area was crowded with people. I headed back to the Spirit area and I was the only one there. I watched some of the video. There was also a laser show in the back. It was kind of deep, but I had trouble figuring out the point of all of it.

COSI was close to closing, so I headed back to the airport to pick up my bag. Parking at COSI was $4 for a few hours. As I approached the airport, I saw a big billboard that said turn here for parking. I did that and I pulled into an off-airport parking lot. I didn’t know that it was. I took the bus to the airport and picked up my bags. That took me about 5 minutes. I hopped back on the bus and the driver recognized me. I got back to my car and paid for parking. For about 15 minutes of parking, it costs me $1.93. Perhaps airport parking would have been cheaper.

I then headed off to Cedar Point.

which COSI did you go to I want to take my kids, i heard there is one in Toledo is this the one you went to? We live in MI and this only take us an hour or so get to.

Commodore 64? LOL! I still have my VIC 20!! To think, today's calculators have multiple times the memory of that paper weight! LOL! :D

Originally posted by mickeyinjune
which COSI did you go to I want to take my kids, i heard there is one in Toledo is this the one you went to? We live in MI and this only take us an hour or so get to.

I went to the one in Columbus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter