May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 38: Off to Cedar Point!

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
June 1, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)

I had printed out directions from Mapquest.com, it said to go up I-71 and then Route 250 to Cedar Point. I was reading the website Guide to the Point and there were posts saying avoid the area because of construction. I said to heck with the construction because I am going to take the direct route. I’m not going to get lost because of roundabout directions.

I headed up I-71 and it was like any other Interstate. I did see something that interested me. I saw a really tall sign that said, “ADULT.” I guess he means adult videos. I wanted to pull over to see if the big sign said “ADULT” and a small sign said, “education.” A sign in the window would say, “Learn Windows Millenium in four classes for $10 a class!” Gas was more expensive here than in Florida. Florida gas was running around $1.49 a gallon. In Ohio, gas was running around $1.79 a gallon. Avis did offer a pre-pay gas program for $1.75 a gallon. I was thinking that maybe I should have taken it.

I then headed to Route 250 and I was following a big truck on the way up. I’ve never seen so much farmland in my life! I did see a small town with a post office. I may have to drop off mail there on the way back. I also noticed a mailbox in the Detroit airport. I may drop off mail there too. My postcards would have weird postmarks then. Some of my Disney postcards were dropped off in Tampa. Others may be dropped off in Ohio. You would expect them to have Orlando postmarks! I also stopped at McDonald’s for a burger. They were advertising a Brat meal deal. I had never had a Brat. I thought they were referring to the crying kids I saw at Disney! I was tempted to try one, but it would have gotten messy if I ate it while I drove.

I arrived in Sandusky in about 2 ½ hours, but the trip to the Cedar Point causeway seemed to take a long time. I kept on following the signs to the causeway, but I think I was going in circles. The signs pointed me to the causeway, but I saw about 10 signs. It felt like I was going around and around. I found my way to the causeway and as I crossed it, I could see Cedar Point in the distance. It was all lit up and it was like finding heaven! I had to pay $7 for parking, which would be refunded when I checked into the Breakers. I drove by and saw all the wonderful coasters. I couldn’t believe I was here! I felt wonderment, but not as much as when I saw Islands of Adventure in person for the first time.

I pulled into the Breakers parking lot and got out of my car. It was cold! I was in shorts and it felt like 50 degrees. It was really windy that night, which made the cold feel worse. I had packed wrong for the weather. I had packed all shorts and t-shirts. I only had one long-sleeved shirt and one long-sleeved shirt. I would have to wear the jeans for the next few days. I hope I don’t fall in the mud!

I checked into the Breakers and got a room. Since I got the cheapest room available, my view wasn’t great. I had a view of the back area and an air conditioning box. Employees would sit there from time to time during smoke breaks. The room was nice and the bathroom was roomy. I’m not sure if I would pay $115 a night for it again, though. I guess that I am spoiled by the Universal Orlando hotels. If I am going to pay $100 or more a night for a hotel, I want to be able to jump the lines! Cedar Point doesn’t have such an offer (which is good or bad, depending on your point of view). The good thing about the hotel is that it is a short walk away from the park. Coastermania tomorrow would last from 8 am to midnight tomorrow. After being on my feet for that long, I wanted someplace to crash at without having the deal with driving.

I had some time to explore, so I took a shower and changed into jeans. I walked down the beach and looked for a way to get to the entrance. I couldn’t find a way to get in. I had to get to Guest Services by the entrance for my Coastermania tickets. I would probably have to drive to get to the front gates. I did leave some footprints on the beach. I wonder how many people will be able to see my footprints when they walk along the beach.

I went back to my room and fell asleep around 11:00. Tomorrow I would wake up early for Coastermania at Cedar Point!

Great report Barry. can't wait to read 'bout the coasters! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter