May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 39: Coastermania at Cedar Point

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
June 1, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)

I woke up around 6:00 am and headed out for breakfast. I couldn’t eat the breakfast buffet at the hotel because it was too early. The restaurant opened at 7:00 and Cedar Point was selling Coastermania tickets at 7:00 am. I wanted to be there to buy my tickets. I put on my Florida Coaster Club t-shirt and searched for breakfast.

I found a donut shop in Sandusky. Breakfast there had bacon, two eggs, and hash browns for $2.50, including coffee. What a deal! I had that and I wasn’t too filled up. I didn’t want to eat a lot since I planned on riding the roller coasters all day. I went back to Cedar Point and bought my Coastermania tickets. I got a two-day ticket and a button. The button was for ERT on Raptor, Mantis, Blue Streak, Magnum, and Millennium Force. The morning ERT was for Raptor, Mantis, and Blue Streak. The rest of the coasters would have ERT in the evening.

The day was gloomy and a little rainy, but nothing that would close the park down. I entered the park and at 8:00, the manager of Cedar Point came up and gave a short speech. He said Blue Streak would have a delayed opening because of the rain, but everything else should be running. The chains dropped and a few kids started running. Some people said, “It’s the running of the bulls!” There should be no need for bull running during ERT.

I wanted to hit Raptor first, but it wasn’t open yet and the line stretched down the midway. I went to Mantis instead. The wait was about 5 minutes. As I was waiting, I noticed something different. Cedar Point ride ops talk a little bit about the ride while you are loading. They tell you how many inversions there are and the ride time. I haven’t heard that before on any other coaster. They certainly don’t do that on the Hulk Coaster! Mantis is a stand-up coaster and I don’t think I liked the sensation on my first ride. On my second ride, the rain started coming down hard during the ride and I had no time to worry about any sensation other than being wet!

I went to Raptor next. The wait was about 15 minutes. On my Florida Coaster Club t-shirt, the back says, “We ride all year.” One guy came up to me and jokingly said, “I hate you – ‘We ride all year.’” I guess he is from a state where the parks are open seasonally. Too bad he can’t ride coasters in December! He can always vacation in Florida in December. Raptor was a fun ride! It was very smooth. It’s not as good as other inverted coasters like Dueling Dragons or Montu, but I liked it. I nominated Raptor as one of my favorite steel coasters in the park. I had so much fun that I rode it one more time.

Blue Streak was open, so I rode that. This ride was a surprise. It’s a great wooden coaster! It’s fairly smooth and gives some good airtime. I was surprised that it ran smooth considering the age. The sign outside the ride said it was built in the early 1900’s. I don’t ride wooden coasters too often because Florida doesn’t have too many, but I enjoyed Blue Streak! I did Raptor two more times and the wait was about 15 minutes each.

I was getting hungry, so I got some M & M’s from a vending machine. The park seems to have M & M’s and Pepsi vending machines all over the park! I also noticed that Raptor and Mantis didn’t seem handicapped accessible. To get to the loading areas, I had to climb up stairs. Most of the time, I would go up a ramp. I was trying to figure out how you could get a wheelchair to the loading bay and I didn’t see anything out in the open. I did notice too that the employees seemed kind of sad. I think it had something to do with the weather. Most of the employees had their raincoats on with the hood tightly around their faces. I suppose if I had to sit in the cold and rain all day, I would be sad too!

It was getting close to 10:00, so I decided to go on the coaster that made me travel so far to ride…Millennium Force!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter