May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 40: Cedar Point

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
Part 40: Cedar Point – A Wise Man Can Hear Millennium Force in the Wind!

June 1, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)

I headed to Millennium Force and the wait was 40 minutes. I got in line. The ride op said that we had to store backpacks and loose items in the lockers. I had my fanny pack on and they didn’t ask me to put it in a locker.

The wait was about 40 minutes, but it felt shorter. The line was constantly moving. As I waited, I noticed Millennium Force has a unique sound. In the distance, you hear a “Whooo” sound. As the train races by, it goes “Whoosh!” as it travels down the track that wraps around the queue. People start talking and laughing.

I got on and I was in the middle. I was so excited to ride Millennium Force that I expected a lot from it. The first drop is amazing! It’s 300 feet straight down! Then it was onto the rest of the ride. I was disappointed with the rest. It was fast. The airtime kept you in the air for a few seconds. It felt like you’re gliding in the air. I wasn’t impressed with anything else. I wasn’t sure if I would ride it during ERT later in the night.

I decided to ride Magnum next. I walked through Frontiertown and I didn’t realize how long the whole area was. This is probably one of the few themed areas of the park. Most of the park seems like concrete, trees, and coasters. You could also hear Millennium Force whizzing by at some parts in Frontiertown.

I finally made it to Magnum and the wait was 5 minutes. I didn’t really like Magnum. It has some nice speed, but the end bunny hops are kind of painful. As I go over the bunny hop, my thighs hit the lap bar. Then I come back down and back up into the lap bar. Ouch! A lot of people do like Magnum, though.

As I exited Magnum, I met a man and a woman from another coaster club. The woman wanted a picture of the back of my shirt. The back said, “We ride all year.” She asked if I had rode Millennium Force and what I thought of it. I told her it has a nice first drop, but the rest was disappointing. The woman had the same reaction to the ride and she said that it grew on her. The man said that he respected my opinion, but he enjoyed Millennium Force. He said that some people don’t like it because it is over too fast. You can appreciate Magnum because it is a longer ride. I wondered if I should give Millennium Force another chance during ERT. Maybe I would.

Next I went on some of the wooden roller coasters. I went on Gemini. Gemini is a racing coaster with a red and blue side. The red side was only running that morning, however. I rode it anyway and I waited about 5 minutes. Some of the things on the ride seem out of date. The word Gemini written on the front is in a 1970’s, computer spacey font. You might as well pull out the John Travolta white disco suit! The ride was good, though. It was pretty smooth. The end part is neat, where both trains do a U-turn on the tracks. During this moment, I leaned over too much and my head bopped with the head of the kid who sat beside me! I apologized to him, but he didn’t seem to notice the bopping.

Mean Streak was next. The wait was about 5 minutes. As I waited, a man and his son noticed my Florida Coaster Club shirt and said that my home park must be Busch Gardens. After my Rhino Rally encounter, my home park is Islands of Adventure. The son then opened his jacket and showed off his Dueling Dragons shirt! My Mean Streak ride was pretty terrible. The ride was so rough that I had trouble enjoying it. It was like riding a jackhammer. I decided that would be my only Mean Streak ride during my visit.

I rode the Cedar Creek Mine Ride next. I waited about 5 minutes for this one. The ride op was introducing the ride and he said, “Cedar Point is the home of four world-class wooden roller coasters. The Cedar Creek Mine Ride isn’t one of them.” He’s right. The coaster isn’t the best in the park. It’s kind of slow and not a great ride. The one good thing about the coaster is that it is in a lovely location. It’s over a pond and lush trees surround the coaster. After the ride was over, the ride op said, “It’s Coastermania every day at Cedar Point…just without the ERT.” I almost sat beside someone, but the only empty seat on the train was by the kid who I zonked in the head at Gemini! I didn’t want him to give me the evil eye!

The next ride was Disaster Transport. This is a good reason why Cedar Point shouldn’t make themed coasters. They should leave that to Universal and Disney. The wait was about 20 minutes, which was about 15 minutes too long. The theme of the coaster is that you’re transporting volatile chemicals to Alaska.

It seemed to me that they were trying to copy Space Mountain on a 99-cent budget. The inside of the building looks old and worn. One person behind me said the place smelled like a zoo! I never really believed I was going to Alaska either. It seemed I was being launched into outer space. The neat thing about the ride is that I got to ride a bobsled coaster. I’ve never been on one and I’ve built many of them in Roller Coaster Tycoon. It was an interesting experience. The bad theming counters the bobsled experience. I also want to find out where I can get the stairs that transport me from Alaska to Ohio. That will save me a lot on airline tickets! Why couldn’t we take those stairs from Ohio to Alaska instead of taking a moldy bobsled?

The Space Spiral was right outside, so I went on that. My wait was 5 minutes for this. It was interesting to see the park from the air. You can see several coasters together. My footprints from last night were still in the beach! I wondered if I returned a year later, would my footprints still be there?

I went to Blue Streak next. Beside Blue Streak was an arcade that had a lot of older arcade games, like Bezerk, Asteroids, and others. I hadn’t played Bezerk in a while, so I went for a go. The machines must be pretty old since some of them didn’t take my money! I rode Blue Streak two times and it was pretty much a walk-on both times. I love the airtime on this one!

It was nearing 2:00 and lunch was available for Coastermania participants. There were hot dogs, beans, ice cream, and soda. I filled up on the food! The picnic area was close to Blue Streak. I got a seat facing Blue Streak and watched it go by as I ate. It was good entertainment until two people sat in front of me! I got some good photos of Blue Streak from the back.

I was getting tired, so I took my car back to the Breakers and rested. I was watching “Jerry Springer” with the usual guests with two lovers or something. Then I fell asleep. I wasn’t planning on doing that, but I think the last few days took the energy out of me.

Great commentary, Barry! I'll bet you are looking forward to returning to CP in September! :D

Great report! Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy MF as much as you thought you would. :D

Your comments about the rides are the exact same as mine. I like the fact that your are honest about your reviews.

MF is all about that first drop. After that, there's not much left to it. That's why parks need to build more Giga coasters. But when I say this, the people tell me to go ride MF. Well, I have, and need something with more big hills. At least MF is a smooth ride, Intamin rules.

The first two hills on Magnum are cool, but then the bunny hops at the end are rough. Even worse, I've read reports of the lap bar coming down and stapling the people, ouch, that would hurt.

When you see coaster shows on tv, everyone says the same thing when asked what part is the best, "The First Drop."

Some of the rides at CP are outdated and rough, just like you mentioned. That's why the fans are screaming for the newer versions. It all comes down to money. Lucky for people in Florida, we have B&M coasters, plus 2 woodies that are smooth.

Great reports.

I kind of like it when a park leaves the old signs on the coasters. It's like a trademark for each coaster. It's a very old park and some people probably get nostalgic when they see the old signs.When in September will you be there? I will be at CP on the 7th and 8th. Hope to see you there!

I would have to say that my report on magnem was the same. it IS REALLY REALLY RUFF. Other than that i love it. Millenium force is a coaster that you rather love it or you don't. I was so amazed by it. It's just TOO SMOOTH!!! The hulk is smooth but has harsh parts in it. I like that.

Originally posted by joe
I kind of like it when a park leaves the old signs on the coasters. It's like a trademark for each coaster. It's a very old park and some people probably get nostalgic when they see the old signs.When in September will you be there? I will be at CP on the 7th and 8th. Hope to see you there!

I will be there from 9/14 to 9/17.

I'll post A TR when I get back so you can have an idea of wait times at Millenium Mania and the other days. I'll also warm up MF for ya, lol.

I'll be at Cp 9/6/ thru 9/9. I have never been and I have been looking forward to it but it sounds like some of the things I can not wait to try may not be as great as advertised. Are MF, Magnum and Rapter all they are built up to be? (I apologize for the CP questions, I know this board is for IOA but I really want to know). Thanks in advance!

Also, Barry, thank you for all you great trip reports. I was wondering, How do you compare the Hulk and DD to the coasters at CP? I have been to SF Great Adventure twice this year and outside of Nitro (210 footer I believe by B&M that is smooth and fast) I feel that Hulk and DD not only hold their own but outclass all other coasters at SFGA. Any opinion is appreciated.

Thanks again,

jb

I guess it all depends on what you like. I like coaster with inversions but some prefer hypercoasters over 200 ft. Cp is definitely worth it because they have a great variety of coasters. Will you be there for Millenium Mania?

Personally, I think the Hulk is a lot better than MF. MF is faster, but the Hulk is more fun. I'd ride MF though. As for Magnum, I liked the drop and the pretzel turn, but the last bunny hops were painful! A lot of people like Magnum, but I'm not too fond of it. Raptor is pretty good and smooth!

As for Millennium Mania, I will be there on 9/14. :)

I will be at CP for Millenium Mania 9/6 and 9/7. It will be my first visit to CP and I was beginning to think I expect too much. I love all kinds of coasters but prefer smooth to bumpy so I generally like steel rather than wood. But an old, unkept steel coaster can almost be unridable. There are a couple at SF great Adv. that will rattle your head pretty bad. This I do not care for.

Has anyone been to Millenium Mania or some other similarpromo event before at CP? Are the waits for the rides long? Just curious.

Thanks,

jb

25 times on MF! I was hoping to get maybe 4 or 5 rides. On a trip to SF Great Adventure back in April it was a bit cool and so by late in the day the temperature chased the crowds away and what was an hour plus wait for Nitro became a virtual walkon. I must have had 10 or 11 rides in a row to end the day. I din't even change seats a couple of times. I never dreamed I may have a similar chance at CP with Millenium Force. FOTL at IOA has spoiled me into haiting long lines so I hope last year repeats itself. Thanks for the info Barry.

Incidentally, I find the back seat preferable to the front seat on Nitro (it seams much faster) but I prefer the front seat on Hulk and DD. What is your preference on MF?

jb

As a first time reader of this site and a dedicated Cedar Point Coaster fan, (and past employee) I feel the need to defend our coasters. Yes Millenium Force is mostly about that first hill and the wait for the first seat is worth the extra wait, the Raptor is the other coaster that the front is a must to get the true experience. For a smooter ride on Magnum I sit in the very back, I am not a true fan of the classic wooden coaster but I find Gemini and Blue Streak to be old favorites. If they were updated I think people would be upset because they are the old stand-bys. As for the Mine ride, Disaster Transport, and the Iron Dragon, I look at these as coasters that I rode with my parents (and still do) and great starter coasters for young enthsiasts. They create memories of how far coasters have come in such a short time. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to get to IOA in October to try out some great new rides, but I think it's cool to see the history of coasters from the Blue Streak to the Millenium Force all in one park. I can't wait to see what is next.

I never really got a chance to find a favorite seat on MF. I was always directed to the first available one. It seemed pretty smooth on all the seats I was in.

I do like the coasters at CP and I would ride them all (except for Mean Streak). In fact, I am going up again in September! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter