May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 46: The Columbus Museum of Art

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
June 3, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)

I headed to COSI. I passed by the Columbus Museum of Art and I noticed a big sign saying, “Eye Spy.” It was an interactive exhibit. That sounded neat, so I decided to go check it out.

I expected to pay $6, but admission was $4. I also expected to pay for parking, but the cashier said parking was free today. What a deal! I went to see the Eye Spy exhibit. The exhibit was to expand people’s knowledge about art. The exhibit said that art was not just paintings and sculptures. There were several things to move and touch in the exhibit. It was a cross between an art exhibit and a science museum.

One part of the exhibit was a touch screen that showed what the employees do at the museum. Another exhibit showed how art can deteriorate if people were allowed to touch them or take flash photos. There were also exhibits of animation art and 3-D art. Three larger sections showed off Dutch painters, the artist Elijah Wood, and Aztec art. Except for the Dutch painters, the other two weren’t something that you would expect to find in an art museum.

The Dutch painters exhibit had Dutch clothes that you could try on. The area had a big flipbook where you can view other painting. An area for kids had them creating their own art. I found the Elijah Wood part the most fascinating. He had carved art out of pieces of wood. He mainly did Biblical scenes. I am not the most religious person, but this shows that art can be anything. In fact, Elijah Wood did not realize that he was an artist until someone said that he was. The Aztec area had some Aztec art, a puzzle to put together, and some questions that you could flip up a panel to see the answer.

I walked around the rest of the museum. There was an area on propaganda art, which showed photos taken during the Depression. These were good to study to show how effective black and white photos can be to convey emotion. Black and white photos can sometimes be more powerful than color photos. I walked through the Elijah Wood section and the outdoor art section.

I spent over an hour at the museum. I came to Ohio to ride roller coasters, but I’m glad that I spent some time exploring other things. I felt a little rich culturally after the experience.

I went back to my hotel and prepared for my flight home. I ate dinner and fell asleep at around 7 pm.

Wow, what a great exhibit! More museums should have things like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter