• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Maybe it's just me...

Guys - second warning on this. Any more arguing/attacks and the thread will be closed. Thank you.

Someone's obviously never bought ice cream in the grocery store before.:D

See - these response actually prove my point for me.

In order to enjoy WDW anymore, many of us have to settle for less. How is that an ok thing?

Never mind. Disney will continue to survive and thrive because there will always be the vacationers who are happy to have any amount of Disney at any price. But I’m still with the OP on this one...

Not sure on the kids clubs being free. The parties are still limited but yes they can get crowded. The good news is I’m not being forced to buy any upgrades. I’m choosing to buy them. Gotta love America!
No, you're right on that. I cannot find where they were free, but I seem to have misunderstood a conversation I had with someone else. That said, doesn't really matter does it, since the Kid's Clubs at the Deluxe resorts are going away later this year (another staff cut?). So your only choice will be the (at least initially) limited special event at the CR or in-room babysitting (which is actually cheaper). So instead of paying maybe $30 for two hours of Kid's Club while you and your spouse go have a nice dinner, you'll pay $60? for your littles to have a similar experience somewhere else. Maybe it's just me, but it still feels like a gouge.

No, you're right on that. I cannot find where they were free, but I seem to have misunderstood a conversation I had with someone else. That said, doesn't really matter does it, since the Kid's Clubs at the Deluxe resorts are going away later this year (another staff cut?). So your only choice will be the (at least initially) limited special event at the CR or in-room babysitting (which is actually cheaper). So instead of paying maybe $30 for two hours of Kid's Club while you and your spouse go have a nice dinner, you'll pay $60? for your littles to have a similar experience somewhere else. Maybe it's just me, but it still feels like a gouge.

Interestingly enough - they are piloting a new Kids Night Out function at the Contemporary starting in april!!

There has been atleast a bit more info released than what is listed here - signups will occur nightly at 5pm at the contemporary - it doesn’t seem like it’s something you can reserve in advance.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...buts-april-13-at-disneys-contemporary-resort/

I think that this still seems like a significantly more premium experience than the old kids club! And certainly more fun than the in the room sitter! But not sure that it’s cheaper... regardless - I am happy something is back! I always felt guilty leaving my kid at the kids club while I went aNd had a magical night (I ended up taking my kids to club Villian for this reason!) - I wouldn’t feel guilty leaving them here!

Some times the product stays the same but some years they cut things down or change the quality of the meats or cheese, etc. Unfortunately that is how businesses are now. I blame all of those greedy corporate men that need millions and millions of dollars at the expense of everyone else. The only way any of that will change is if the government puts a salary cap on it, which it never will because they are the greedy men.

Or if they get massive push back from consumers. That is how it works. Enough people complain and stop buying whatever product, and change happens. And it can happen, just look at JCPennys. It can work at WDW, it just takes enough people willing to not book or not buy a certain add on, and it gets discounted.

I still think Disney adventures have a reasonable value of the cost for a 1 week visit. Depends on when you go- crazy busy or not so crazy times throughout the year. Adding parking fees at the already overpriced resorts was a bad impression to me because it only targets folks whom drive or rent a car flying in. I would have been less disappointed if they just said the new fees were a resort fee and everyone would contribute.

Because of the re-alignment of the company-adding consumer products to the parks division will turn the once magical place into a larger merchandise shopping center- everywhere you walk-someone will be trying to sell you something.

when the fair comes to town here it costs ~$3 to ride each ride. They charge about $40 for a day pass with unlimited rides. I think that living in MA/CT/NY for my life means I am only accustomed to high prices so the Disney prices are high - but not nearly as high as they might feel to those of you that can pay $10 for a county fair ride pass!!!

I don’t think rides at a fair can ever be compared to anything disney has to offer, you pay $10 opposed to $100 because it’s a tenth of the quality... and I agree you’re not getting anything in NY for $10 so that might have me jaded as to what is expensive or not as well

Well no of course it can’t be compared as in quality of attractions. My comparison was in if I pay $10 and would feel cheated if 1/3 or even 1/4 of the rides were down, why would I not be upset when paying $100?

Sorry.... but after last July's Ohio State Fair accident.... we will NEVER ride another Fair ride!!! Just sayin'!! :(

Interestingly enough - they are piloting a new Kids Night Out function at the Contemporary starting in april!!

There has been atleast a bit more info released than what is listed here - signups will occur nightly at 5pm at the contemporary - it doesn’t seem like it’s something you can reserve in advance.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...buts-april-13-at-disneys-contemporary-resort/

I think that this still seems like a significantly more premium experience than the old kids club! And certainly more fun than the in the room sitter! But not sure that it’s cheaper... regardless - I am happy something is back! I always felt guilty leaving my kid at the kids club while I went aNd had a magical night (I ended up taking my kids to club Villian for this reason!) - I wouldn’t feel guilty leaving them here!
Yes, that is the event I was referring to in my previous post.

Just another viewpoint on when the decline started, for us.
We book with a certified Disney travel agent and have been doing so for several years. Each year we booked, we received a nice gift from Disney for booking with them. One time it was a very well made, sturdy, Disney tote bag, which I still use. Another year, it was a beautiful Disney photobook, nothing cheap at all. The next year, 2013, it was another beautiful photo scrap book.
Then, we skipped 2014 and booked with our TA again in 2015. There was NO gift at all, just a cheap plastic document holder. Ever since then, we get the yearly cheap plastic document holder.
So, I would definitely say that, 1) Disney is getting cheaper, and 2) Disney doesn't value their loyal customers anymore.
That is the same time that I noticed a decline in customer service at the parks, and the other multitude of changes that have occurred.

I know the gifts were a small token of appreciation, but they were not cheapened at all and very nice to receive. Not anymore, sadly.

We book with a certified Disney travel agent and have been doing so for several years. Each year we booked, we received a nice gift from Disney for booking with them. One time it was a very well made, sturdy, Disney tote bag, which I still use. Another year, it was a beautiful Disney photobook, nothing cheap at all. The next year, 2013, it was another beautiful photo scrap book.
Then, we skipped 2014 and booked with our TA again in 2015. There was NO gift at all, just a cheap plastic document holder. Ever since then, we get the yearly cheap plastic document holder.
So, I would definitely say that, 1) Disney is getting cheaper, and 2) Disney doesn't value their loyal customers anymore.
That is the same time that I noticed a decline in customer service at the parks, and the other multitude of changes that have occurred.

I know the gifts were a small token of appreciation, but they were not cheapened at all and very nice to receive. Not anymore, sadly.
Just out of curiosity did you book with the same TA each year?

Aren't those gifts from the travel agency and not Disney? Why would Disney give someone a gift that books through and agent where they loose money on commission instead of giving a gift to someone who books directly?

It's been in decline for several years in my opinion. We've seen less positive CM interaction, declining service and quality in the restaurants and resorts, etc. We also had the birthday pin experience with our DS who turned 8 on our most recent trip in January. He had seen his sister get noticed for her birthday pin two years previous and expected the same kind of attention. He got ignored so often that he started pointing his pin out to servers and CMs. If my single digit aged kid notices it, there's no doubt it's happening because that kid can be oblivious.

I think we are all to blame in part for the lack of pin acknowledgement. When people ask, they are told to pick any day and pick any celebration. When relatively few guests were wearing the pins it is much easier for CMs to fuss over those guests, and maybe give them an extra snack. But once everyone is told to just go for it, it ruins it. Just like the divers at the Coral Reef.

When everyone tries to be special it makes it hard for the CMs. And then no one is special.

Aren't those gifts from the travel agency and not Disney? Why would Disney give someone a gift that books through and agent where they loose money on commission instead of giving a gift to someone who books directly?
That was why I asked if it was the same TA. I can only imagine it was the TA who chose to provide those gifts over the years to increase the chance of coming back to them and to add to the overall experience of using them. I'm not a TA nor do I know someone who is one for Disney so I don't know if it's possible Disney gives things here and there to TAs. I just can't imagine Disney gives TAs what the PP is describing to give to their clients. If my thoughts are correct and it was the same TA sounds like perhaps money-wise they decided to cut back on the gifts they give. If it was a different TA then maybe one TA was doing a lot more for their clients than another was.

I’ve seen TA “deals” where they offer various things (bags, coolers, plushies, TP memberships,etc) depending on the cost of the trip you book.

I suppose that record attendance would have to include people who've never been before, otherwise attendance would be flat or even decreasing as the regulars naturally wander away/die off.
Attendance was down in 2016 compared to 2015. (2017 data hasn't been released yet, so I share those years as the latest full year account).
Profits were up in the parks, but attendance was down.

I expect WDW's 2017 attendance will rise due to the opening of Pandora. I'll be interested to see what DLR's numbers are for 2017. 2016 was clearly down after the 60th anniversary celebration, which brought in a ton of people. With all the construction that's been happening over the last year, I'll be interested to see if DLR's numbers fall, stay around where they were in 2016, or rise.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/business/media/disney-theme-parks-universal-attendance.html

I think we are all to blame in part for the lack of pin acknowledgement. When people ask, they are told to pick any day and pick any celebration. When relatively few guests were wearing the pins it is much easier for CMs to fuss over those guests, and maybe give them an extra snack. But once everyone is told to just go for it, it ruins it. Just like the divers at the Coral Reef.

When everyone tries to be special it makes it hard for the CMs. And then no one is special.
Syndrome syndrome?

But honestly, how hard is it to notice a kid's pin and wish him a happy birthday? He got more birthday acknowledgement on a three night Disney cruise before his birthday and without the pin than a six night stay in WDW with the pin. That's kind of sad dontchathink?

I’m kicking a dead horse, I know, but 2013 marked the beginning of the changes at WDW.

As mentioned upthread there are many who believe WDW is the cash cow to keep all the underperforming entities afloat.

I believe in free enterprise and support every business’s right to do business however they wish and make a profit. I do not believe WDW was NOT making a profit prior to 2013. But - somewhere they decided to separate every last cotton picking red cent from every visitor. It started with ride rationing to adjust staffing, included bench removal, and new ideas are now rolling out weekly.

They will always have a new batch of customers. And until it affects their bottom line, they won’t be too worried about losing repeat/long-time guests. It just stinks if it was your happy place.

Thankfully. I’ve found lots of new happy places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter