Maybe some good news! Treatment trials showing signs of hope!

Clinical trials, science, medicine is ever-evolving. What didn't work one day may lead to something working another day. What works today may not work in the future.

But this is most promising we've heard thus far.
:)

Oh definitely agree. Especially with this virus.

Some folks don’t seem to take good news well.

I was just on MGH website and they still have a bunch of trials on drugs that have been declared (in the digital news world ) not to work and to be too dangerous. If its a toss between MGH and similar ranked US hospitals and pretty much anywhere else I'm going with MGH & similarly ranked.

Not sure what this means.

So am I understanding this correctly? There have been two (at least) studies in this drug. The one in China did not show it to be effective. But the one here, that Dr Fauci is talking about said it showed promise.

And the pp is trying to say that the one in China is the only study we should believe?
I don't believe the Chinese would allow any study conducted in their country right now to say a drug developed by a US company is effective against a coronavirus.

So you don't believe Dr. Fauci? I though general consensus on these boards was he was one of the good ones.

Let's just stick to the topic at hand actually!

I didn’t dismiss the the other studies. I made a comment that news articles, and in particular headlines, can be misleading. If you would just read what I actually wrote instead of putting your own bias to my post. What did I say that was false? If you actually do have a scientific background, you would agree with my comment that randomized, double-blinded, controlled studies are far more informative.

And to the other comment about not believing anything from China.....there’s a difference between an international scientific journal and a government news release. To presume it has anything to do with whether the drug is made in the US or China. I bet you don’t even have an idea of what a Chinese company was trying to do with Remdesivir. ;) Read up on that before making your comment.

I don't see any reason to make this political. Fauci and the FDA have shown to be more than willing to act independently when it comes to treatments for COVID 19.

How was my comment political in any way? Because I used the words president and WH?
I guess those vocabulary words are off topic regardless of context?

Edit: When and where in this world did I even remotely hint at the fact that Fauci and the FDA is being restricted by the WH administration?

Last edited:
I didn’t dismiss the the other studies. I made a comment that news articles, and in particular headlines, can be misleading. If you would just read what I actually wrote instead of putting your own bias to my post. What did I say that was false? If you actually do have a scientific background, you would agree with my comment that randomized, double-blinded, controlled studies are far more informative.

And to the other comment about not believing anything from China.....there’s a difference between an international scientific journal and a government news release. To presume it has anything to do with whether the drug is made in the US or China. I bet you don’t even have an idea of what a Chinese company was trying to do with Remdesivir. ;) Read up on that before making your comment.

I said nothing about dismissing China or the other study, just presented some of the more positive news coming out today. And after you posted it, I added it to the first post.
I also didn't say anything you said was false - if I did I apologize - can you show me where I said that?

I was honestly just asking if you question Dr. Fauci, more of a curiosity to me as I haven't found him to be disingenuous. I was surprised that you did. (and no, I'm not a fan of the current administration)
That's all. Sorry you are upset.

Last edited:
I was honestly just asking if you question Dr. Fauci, more of a curiosity to me as I haven't found him to be disingenuous. I was surprised that you did.
That's all. Sorry you are upset.

I don’t view Fauci’s position as being part of the “administration.” I presume this is a common opinion of many. Yes, he is hired by the WH to provide consultation on the matter. But, that doesn’t necessarily mean he is one of the regular WH staff.

I don’t view Fauci’s position as being part of the “administration.” I presume this is a common opinion of many. Yes, he is hired by the WH to provide consultation on the matter. But, that doesn’t necessarily mean he is one of the regular WH staff.

Okay.

The reason I linked those articles in my first post is because this is the first time I've "seen" Dr. Fauci have such a strong reaction to one of the drugs that were trialed. If someone else from WH were to be touting the good news, I wouldn't have linked them.

It is generally advisable to use care in presuming anything.
FWIW, I think you are assuming a lot.

Not sure what this means.

KK, It means the studies at Partners Healthcare are still live which means that other countries saying they are not worth it in a cost benefit analysis doesn't hold in these big US hospitals, because the studies are still live.

I think lots of medications are still promising. Look at HIV & the effort that went into creating the perfect cocktail, each medicine used is ok but together they are life changing. That took ages but that was starting from zero in virology, we aren't at zero any more. I talk about Tamiflu alot because it has saved my life and those of my kids more than once, if you were to only use it on the sickest people it would have been called a fail because people don't get "compassionate care" sick in 48 hours & it only workls in the first 48 hiours. Point is, maybe the drug is already in use but the Dr's haven't figured out the best way to use it, or the best timing, or how to add other drugs to the mix make it less toxic, or maybe dosing is too much or too little. Just saying I trust US Dr's a million times before I listen to a single peep out of other places & I honestly do read for keywords, keyplaces - if certain places or organizations are so much as mentioned I completely tune it out.

Last edited:
Okay.

The reason I linked those articles in my first post is because this is the first time I've "seen" Dr. Fauci have such a strong reaction to one of the drugs that were trialed. If someone else from WH were to be touting the good news, I wouldn't have linked them.

Well - i think it's hopeful. And I appreciate the post.

The sooner we can get something together that looks like this is treatable, the sooner things can go back to normal.

Here is why when it comes to drugs and vaccines, a randomized, double-blinded study using controls is necessary to have a holistic understanding of the effects.

While the entire news cycle and market is busy falling for today’s news of limited findings, a more comprehensive study that was published today with slightly different outcomes is being ignored.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31022-9/fulltext

Here’s the authors’ summary:

Our trial found that intravenous remdesivir did not significantly improve the time to clinical improvement, mortality, or time to clearance of virus in patients with serious COVID-19 compared with placebo. Compared with a previous study of compassionate use of remdesivir, our study population was less ill and was treated somewhat earlier in their disease course (median 10 days vs 12 days). Such differences might be expected to favour remdesivir, providing greater effects in our study population, but our results did not meet this expectation.
Is this the results that were quickly removed from news outlets a couple of day ago or was that another study that showed remdesivir had no benefit?

This whole thing stinks of trumps hydroxychloroquine overhype again.

Is this the results that were quickly removed from news outlets a couple of day ago or was that another study that showed remdesivir had no benefit?

This whole thing stinks of trumps hydroxychloroquine overhype again.

I'm genuinely asking - did you read all the articles linked in the first post? I added all being discussed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter