"Maybe We Should Go To Disney World Next Week" An Impromptu May DR *COMPLETE*

After we got out of the pool we decided to go to DTD for a late lunch/early dinner at Raglan Road. By the time we got there Rob wasn't feeling very well. He decided he wasn't really feeling up to eating at RR, which was a bummer for me because I was really in the mood to eat there. We walked around for a little bit and I did a little shopping and then he asked if I would be up for ice cream. It goes without saying that I am always up for ice cream. :laughing: He was feeling a little better and that's what he wanted. With my arm twisted we made a return trip to Ghirardelli!

Rob once again opted for the Hot Fudge sundae with cookie dough ice cream.

This new addition to the menu caught my eye the first time we ate here this trip.

I was going to order it the first time, but they were out of chocolate chip cookies that day and would have to sub in white chocolate macadamia nut cookies. I didn't like the sound of that so I decided to wait. I am so very glad that I did. Behold, the Cookie Bits Sundae!

I subbed in for all cookie dough ice cream, which was a great decision! Rob is in love with their cookie dough ice cream and I would have to agree that it is extremely amazing. I couldn't quite finish all of this massive sundae. It was extreme. I was in a cookie coma. :laughing:

As much as I enjoyed this, I still think I will stick with the Mint Bliss. It is still my favorite, but I would definitely recommend this sundae as well! :thumbsup2

Love your ice cream posts. Will definitely have to check out when we are at SSR in November.

Sorry your AK morning wasn't a success. I have to say, in spite of the park's relatively weak attraction lineup, it still grows on me every time I visit. The quick service and snack options easily beat MK and DHS, Expedition Everest is a decent ride even without a functional yeti, and (of course) the theming in Africa and Asia is incredible. :goodvibes I'm excited to see how Rivers of Light and Pandora change the park - hopefully AK will handle the crowds and live up to its potential.

The Cookie Bits Sundae looks really good. Since I won't be able to visit L'Artisan des Glaces without a valid WDW ticket, maybe Ghirardelli will serve as a replacement on my next Orlando trip. :laughing: Actually, I may already have a replacement - Florean Fortescue's at Diagon Alley! :thumbsup2

Man, you keep making trails end sound better and better. Seriously giving it for consideration for September as that eggs Benedict looked awesome. Especially since we don't typically make ADRs so good to know it's not to busy.

Sorry AK was a bust but at least you got a Mickey pretzel out of it. We had issues with the safari FP line being long too in January, can't believe they haven't fixed that yet.

And ice cream for dinner; ) love the way you roll.

I love the fish & chips too , so yummy and I don't fish ... Yep no fish but I'll eat the fish and chips in Epcot (( weird )) In the car now using my husbands hot spot for my iPad ... headed to Disneyland and my twin grandsons. The boys would love to go to Ghiradellis at California adventure. I'm trying to knock off 20 lbs before our WDW trip so no ice cream for me this time ( well my a taste lol )
As always love reading along and added back trails end for breakfast one morning after reading your review. That's one problem and plus with online dining reservations since you can make changes ... Yet I seem to be changing things all the time. When we used to have to call I made my reservations and rarely made changes (( so many options and easy now to switcharoo))

Your Choc- Chip Ice cream Sundae-

OMG! Foodgasim. I will need to add this to the to do list asap.

Reading a review on ice cream at 7 am in the morning isn't a good idea. It's going to be a long day!!!!! :-)

Thanks for posting where to get the cronut! I asked 3 people in WS our last trip and no one could tell me.:sad2:

Love your reviews of Trail's End breakfast. It is a hidden gem for sure.

Love your ice cream posts. Will definitely have to check out when we are at SSR in November.

It's a quick trip over there from SSR. And you can burn off the calories on the walk back. Well, a few of them anyway. :laughing:

Is there anything at Ghirardelli on the snack credit?

I saw something on here that says anything under $5 is a snack credit. That takes all of the sundaes out of the running but I think a small cone might count as a snack.

Sorry your AK morning wasn't a success. I have to say, in spite of the park's relatively weak attraction lineup, it still grows on me every time I visit. The quick service and snack options easily beat MK and DHS, Expedition Everest is a decent ride even without a functional yeti, and (of course) the theming in Africa and Asia is incredible. :goodvibes I'm excited to see how Rivers of Light and Pandora change the park - hopefully AK will handle the crowds and live up to its potential.

The Cookie Bits Sundae looks really good. Since I won't be able to visit L'Artisan des Glaces without a valid WDW ticket, maybe Ghirardelli will serve as a replacement on my next Orlando trip. :laughing: Actually, I may already have a replacement - Florean Fortescue's at Diagon Alley! :thumbsup2

I am the opposite with AK. I used to love it and now it's wearing thin for me. I know Disney doesn't want you to think of it as a zoo, but to me it should be way better than a zoo and outside of Everest and Dinosaur, it's just not. Last year I went to Philadelphia Zoo for the first time in many years and I was so impressed! If you put those two rides in there I would be there once a month. It was so cool to stand mere feet away from a cougar and not search for one hidden in the brush back by a fence while riding in a bumpy vehicle. I think having such an overwhelmingly positive zoo experience, coupled with a total lack of seeing animals this trip really kind of put a damper on AK for me. I still like it, but it's becoming a half day park for me without feeling a desire to return a second day during the trip. I do agree however that the theming cannot be beat and the snack options have considerably improved. I wish they would get a must-do table service option together. I'm dubious about Avatarland, but I'll keep an open mind. I am looking forward to the new nighttime show, so maybe positive change is coming to draw me back in.

I am 100% trying L'Artisan des Glaces this trip! For you, I think Ghirardelli will stand in nicely until you decide to return to WDW again. I seriously need to try butterbeer ice cream! I loved the actual butterbeer there, so butterbeer ice cream will probably suit my tastes as well.

Man, you keep making trails end sound better and better. Seriously giving it for consideration for September as that eggs Benedict looked awesome. Especially since we don't typically make ADRs so good to know it's not to busy.

Sorry AK was a bust but at least you got a Mickey pretzel out of it. We had issues with the safari FP line being long too in January, can't believe they haven't fixed that yet.

And ice cream for dinner; ) love the way you roll.

I feel like I am seriously drumming up business for Trail's End. :laughing: It's definitely a great one to use as a filler since it never seems that busy.

You really can't beat a Mickey pretzel! That line is insane! It was bad on our trip last October too and it kept us from riding it one day. This time it was even worse! I couldn't believe how ridiculous it was. FP+ is great for the most part, but I can't stand how long it takes for people to scan their bands. When we used it on our other AK day this trip the line was still pretty long and they were constantly shouting out to only have one member of your party scan their bands. And of course, every single group that walks up stands there trying to scan everyone's band, even though I've heard the CM say at least 50 times not to do that. It's frustrating. Even Rob did it after I told him I would scan for us. Nobody listens! Even my husband! :lmao:

Keep up the posts. I'm really enjoying them.

Thanks so much! More updates today hopefully! :goodvibes

I love the fish & chips too , so yummy and I don't fish ... Yep no fish but I'll eat the fish and chips in Epcot (( weird )) In the car now using my husbands hot spot for my iPad ... headed to Disneyland and my twin grandsons. The boys would love to go to Ghiradellis at California adventure. I'm trying to knock off 20 lbs before our WDW trip so no ice cream for me this time ( well my a taste lol )
As always love reading along and added back trails end for breakfast one morning after reading your review. That's one problem and plus with online dining reservations since you can make changes ... Yet I seem to be changing things all the time. When we used to have to call I made my reservations and rarely made changes (( so many options and easy now to switcharoo))

That's too funny that you'll do the fish and chips there. It is especially yummy and not terribly fishy tasting. Yay for Disneyland! How fun! It's hard to resist Ghirardelli. Especially once you get in there and smell the waffle cones. It's intoxicating.

I am the same way with constantly switching reservations. It's terrible. Online makes it too easy to constantly mess with. I do the same thing with DVC. Now that I can book online I'm always toying with my hotels too. I'm too indecisive to be allowed to change my mind so often. :laughing: At least the $10 ADR cancellation charge keeps me from messing with them once I'm there.

Your Choc- Chip Ice cream Sundae-

OMG! Foodgasim. I will need to add this to the to do list asap.

That sundae was insanity! I highly recommend splitting that one. It was so over the top!

Oh wow, I really want ice cream right now
Yummy!

:laughing: I think we're going to make this next trip all about the ice cream. I want to try it all!

Reading a review on ice cream at 7 am in the morning isn't a good idea. It's going to be a long day!!!!! :-)

:lmao: Just writing these posts always make me hungry. It's dangerous to look at these food pictures for hours!

Thanks for posting where to get the cronut! I asked 3 people in WS our last trip and no one could tell me.:sad2:

Love your reviews of Trail's End breakfast. It is a hidden gem for sure.

Too bad you couldn't find the cronut last time! At least you know for next time. :thumbsup2

We are seriously obsessed with TE. It's our new favorite spot.

Okay, not exactly WDW related, but I had to share. Rob has always wanted to try an eating challenge and we found out that a new place near us had a challenge. His brother told him about it and he decided he had to give it a try. Here are the details of the challenge. It's the Carnivore Challenge!

And here it is in all its glory.

Rob's little sister decided to try it too.

He was all smiles before he started eating.

That smile didn't last long. :lmao:

You had 20 minutes and 2 seconds to eat it. Did they do it?

Here is my SIL's result.

She was so sick. Epic fail for her.

And here is Rob's result.

Soooooo close! We were all trying to get him to just shove the last of it in his mouth but he couldn't do it. He said he was so full that he couldn't even think clearly. His body couldn't do what his brain was telling him too. This took away all desire to ever try an eating challenge again. He's was pretty bummed he didn't quite make it. Especially since he was one bite away from finishing. 20 more seconds on the countdown and he would've had it.

One more food update and this one is Disney related. Today is my *cough* 31st *cough* birthday and in pure grownup fashion I got what any mature adult would get for their birthday. A Frozen themed cake!

I have better pictures I'll post later, but it turned out awesome! Rob always gets me my favorite cake from a nearby bakery and this year he did very well with the theme. Plus he got me cups and plates to eat from.

And of course, and Olaf balloon.

It has been a very Disney birthday! party:

Okay, more birthday plans for today, but I will get back to real updates shortly.

Happy Birthday! party: You have such a thoughtful husband. I really have enjoyed all of your reviews keep them coming.

Happy happy birthday! He was so close I have never done an eating challenge I have thought about it but haven't found the right one yet.

The eating challenge looks so overwhelming - I'm amazed Rob did as well as he did. Happy belated birthday, by the way!

I am 100% trying L'Artisan des Glaces this trip! For you, I think Ghirardelli will stand in nicely until you decide to return to WDW again. I seriously need to try butterbeer ice cream! I loved the actual butterbeer there, so butterbeer ice cream will probably suit my tastes as well.
Ghirardelli is a definite candidate for an ice cream stop when I'm next in Orlando. :thumbsup2 And it's great that L'Artisan des Glaces is on your must-try list! It's still a great spot, even though they removed the pineapple sorbet. :sad:

And I hope the bolded part means you're considering a visit to Diagon Alley! Haven't been there yet (an all-Uni trip is coming up soon), but DA appears to be one of the most immersive theme park experiences of all time (up there with Tokyo DisneySea and Cars Land).

wow - that is one BIG pile of food in that challenge!!!

you couldn't just shove that last bite into rob's mouth so he could win??!!!

(happy belated b'day!) :cheer2::cake::jumping1:

Happy Birthday! party: You have such a thoughtful husband. I really have enjoyed all of your reviews keep them coming.

Thanks for the birthday wishes! So glad you are enjoying the reviews. More coming up tonight finally!

Happy happy birthday! He was so close I have never done an eating challenge I have thought about it but haven't found the right one yet.

Thanks so much! :goodvibes

I couldn't believe how close he was! He was waiting for the right one as well. I think it will be his last one though. He's traumatized. :laughing:

The eating challenge looks so overwhelming - I'm amazed Rob did as well as he did. Happy belated birthday, by the way!

Ghirardelli is a definite candidate for an ice cream stop when I'm next in Orlando. :thumbsup2 And it's great that L'Artisan des Glaces is on your must-try list! It's still a great spot, even though they removed the pineapple sorbet. :sad:

And I hope the bolded part means you're considering a visit to Diagon Alley! Haven't been there yet (an all-Uni trip is coming up soon), but DA appears to be one of the most immersive theme park experiences of all time (up there with Tokyo DisneySea and Cars Land).

Thanks so much for the birthday wishes! I was amazed by how much he ate as well. I didn't know he had it in him! :lmao:

I am trying SO HARD to get Rob to commit to a day trip to Universal! One of my girlfriends is also trying to make a long weekend trip happen for the two of us in April, so we'll see. I have my fingers crossed that at least one, if not both, will pan out!

wow - that is one BIG pile of food in that challenge!!!

you couldn't just shove that last bite into rob's mouth so he could win??!!!

(happy belated b'day!) :cheer2::cake::jumping1:

Thanks so much!

I seriously thought about doing that! I knew he would hate me in the moment, but thank me later. :laughing:

As we made our way back to our car I happened to notice a sign advertising that the Toadies were playing at the House of Blues that night. We went inside to ask a few questions about the show and see how much tickets were. They were really cheap and the show was still a few hours away, so we decided to head back to the resort while we decided whether or not to go.

After a lengthy decision process back at the room we decided not to go. My feet were killing me and as much as I wanted to go, I really didn't think I could stand on my feet in a big crowd for a few hours. Just didn't have it in me. I do regret that we didn't go because they are a 90s band that we love.

No longer full from the ice cream, the decision now became... where do we eat?

I REALLY wanted Mexican food, but didn't feel like trekking over to Epcot. We actually considered going off property for dinner, but in the end, convenience and sheer laziness won out. :lauhging: Old Port Royale it is!

It was beautiful outside and the stroll over to the food court was lovely.

My one blurry shot of the inside.

I ended up with a standard counter service favorite of mine, the Bacon Cheeseburger with fries.

I weirdly adore the counter service cheeseburgers. I don't know what it is, but I love them more than any other cheeseburger. This one was delcious!

Rob got the Jerk Chicken Sandwich with Crispy Onions, Chipotle Sauce, Swiss and a side of fries.

He enjoyed it, but didn't rave about it.

For dessert I went with an M&M cookie.

This was decent. The chocolate chip cookie was better.

Rob got the cheese danish.

I thought this was an odd choice. More of a breakfast option than a dessert option to me, but who am I to judge.

We set up our laptop with the previous episode of Amazing Race and had an enjoyable room picnic together. Not the option we originally had in mind, but it was tasty and as long as we're together, we're always having fun. Especially in Disney World! :goodvibes

Our last full day in WDW started very early. We once again made it to MK for the rope drop show! I can't get over how cute it is! It's so simple but sweet. After a few rides Rob was hungry for breakfast. He decided to stop for a favorite treat from a previous vacation. Sleepy Hollow Refreshments, here we come!

He was initially going to go with the Sweet and Spicy Chicken Waffle, but they didn't start serving those until 11am. It was still a ways off until 11am, so he went with the special listed at the counter.

Ham and Cheese Omelet Waffle!

Not nearly as spectacular looking as the description implied. He thought it was just okay. He wouldn't get it again, but he didn't dislike it.

Bummer. Oh well. Now I'm off in search of a breakfast treat for myself...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter