• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Maybe younger people like SSR better than OKW?

tvwalsh

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
My 35 year old daughter who has been to OKW many times since we bought in in 1992, went to SSR this time. She actually liked it better than OKW. She liked the spa, the new pool, the "newer stuff" (quote), and the better workout facilities. She also liked being closer to DTW.

I still like OKW better but maybe it is, partly, an age thing. I am 62.

is she single?

then yes single younger people like SSR better -you can walk back from PI.

they also like BW better.

I'm around your daughter's age and I do prefer SSR - mostly for the dining options and the fact that I really like being able to walk to DTD - we use that perk at least once each day. IOur preference is more about how much we use DTD as a spot to wind down (and the fact that we are night owls) than anything.

I am a younger person who LOVES OKW!!! I like the OKW setup better than at SSR too...

I'm not 35 any more....(my how things change in ten years....) I'm going for the first time VERY SOON, and really looking forward to it.

But I think that it has less to do with the age of a person as with a mindset... What I mean is that there may, just may, be something intentional about SSR in that it is a Resort and Spa. It has one of (if not the) best health clubs workout areas in all of WDW. There's not a ton of deep fried stuff at AP. Maybe the distances between buildings encourage a healthier lifestyle.

This may be one of the reasons why many people like to trash the place.

We're not 35, but we're an active family that enjoys running and walking, and we're looking forward to something other than deep fried corn dogs and cotton candy delivered to your beach chair....

(Now if I could somehow reconcile this with the pool bars, and staggering home from PI, I'd really have something here, right?!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!)

I've liked SSR location ever since we stayed there when it was the Disney Institute. I like being close to DTD since we typically travel in the Fall when the park hours are shorter.

I like SSR better & I don't think I qualify as "younger" anymore (if I live to 90, I'm middle-aged ;), but I don't "dislike" OKW. I just like the atmosphere at SSR. I'm not really a walker - I have a bad ankle, but I do enjoy the stroll to DTD. DTD was always a part of our trips, even before we joined DVC.

Haven't stayed at BW or BCV yet, but I generally prefer the "resort" type atmosphere as opposed to the "hotel" type atmosphere.

I'm a bit clausterphobic (sp??), maybe that is why I prefer SSR - lots of open space.

Sorry, I can't even remember 35.

Lol, me too - and OKW is my favourite :thumbsup2

But I have a short trip coming up and I am thinking of giving SSR a try just so I can have an informed opinion :)

We stayed at SSR for the first time this March...2 40-something couples and 4 teenagers. All of us loved OKW but this was definitely better for this trip. The close proximity of the Congress Park pool, main pool, community hall etc gave the kids far more options. We usually stay out late in the hot tub and didn't have any complaints filed against us !! At OKW the hot tubs can be very close to the villas and this definitely can disturb some sleepers, even if they are relatively quiet. The quiet pool definitely had a much younger crowd, probably 20 - 30 year olds,

The kids walked to DTD every night and loved the freedom. They are too young for the clubs but this made them feel like they were still enjoying atmosphere.

We will continue to stay at both as we do still like OKW but with this particular mix of guests SSR really fit the bill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter