MB+ or regular MB, my view

The biggest positive of the MB+ compared to the normal MB is that the + is rechargeable so in the end you can keep reusing the MB+ instead of buying another one down the road. I'm sure at some point they will phase out selling of the normal bands.

You are right, they already are phasing out the old MB's. It can be difficult to find them on property now.

The biggest positive of the MB+ compared to the normal MB is that the + is rechargeable so in the end you can keep reusing the MB+ instead of buying another one down the road. I'm sure at some point they will phase out selling of the normal bands.
True, good point.

True, good point.
For what it actually does it's kinda neat and kinda meh. It would be nice if they would/could included a fitness tracker to count steps and even a clock or a button you could tap to get the time told to you. I think they figured it they made it light up to the fireworks and vibrate it would appease people.

For what it actually does it's kinda neat and kinda meh. It would be nice if they would/could included a fitness tracker to count steps and even a clock or a button you could tap to get the time told to you. I think they figured it they made it light up to the fireworks and vibrate it would appease people.
Yes, steps. That would be nice.

for me, it's all about cute LOL. Yes, I am lame. I like that the center pucks aren't plain like the old ones and that they light up :-) Are they any more useful or necessary, heck no, but I like mine.

I gave in and bought one for our trip last Sep. I like the designs and like how I can use it at DLR and DCL, so it kinda justified the price (i did order a discounted band when I booked). I wish I didn’t have to recharge it every night. It’s one more thing I have to find an outlet or USB plug for.

I’ve been able to use a regular MB for years. Rechargeables fail eventually also. Question though, what type of port does the charging cable have on each end?

I have two of them, one is blue tooth to the phone,

they are cool they do weird thing on different rides ….

if the extra 15 bucks per person is an issue ….. maybe Disney isn’t the right vacation spot

the cable is usb on one end and something Disney on the other ….

both of mine have the same cord

I have one but I got it at a discount when they first came out with a room reservation. The only reason I got it was I liked the design. I don't mind charging it every night, I just put it on to charge when I charge everything else I have to charge. I also have some of the original ones that only certain resort guests got when they were testing them before they rolled them out, I also have some of the ones that came out after that that you got when you booked a room or renewed/got an AP, I also have a few of the puck type ones, again they were free with a room or AP. I take a few of all the types when I go and they all work. I don't buy ride pictures so I'm not sure about those. I don't really have a preference of one over the other.

Probably also depends how often you go to Disney. I have a older magic band from a few years ago and would probably just use that if we go again in the future. Older magic bands are sealed units and the battery will eventually die. However, the band serves 2 functions and only 1 of them requires the battery. You can still use an older band for all of the other functions not requiring the battery.

We have both and end up sticking with our regular magic bands. 2 times the magic band plus died during the day. It’s also a hassle to charge each evening. It’s honestly just easier to use the regular one. If you really want the benefits of the plus maybe just get one for 1 person in the party.

Edit: just learned the basic functions of regular magic band don't require the battery to be charged. In the case MB+ wins all around except cost.

Last edited:
We have both and end up sticking with our regular magic bands. 2 times the magic band plus died during the day. It’s also a hassle to charge each evening. It’s honestly just easier to use the regular one. If you really want the benefits of the plus maybe just get one for 1 person in the party.
I'd say it's no more a hassle then charging a cell phone and cell phone power banks at night. But to each their own

I'm usually the guy who has to have every new thing.

During our trip in Nov of 2022, the MagicBand+ was available, and I figured we'd most likely buy them that week.

After watching so many people waving their arms at various statues and things and getting no response, I realized I would have been ticked off if that were me.

I don't really need to make sure I charge another 2 things every night, and I honestly didn't find anything it does that I wanted. Maybe it does something with Photo Pass???? But we have never used that and never will.

I'd say it's no more a hassle then charging a cell phone and cell phone power banks at night. But to each their own
It's just another thing to remember. Plus I have to remember to pack the charger. And then if I forget after a long day then I'm screwed the next day. If you have kids you might have plus in a few and outlets are limited in hotel rooms.
To me the biggest benefit of a magic band is increasing convenience and reducing friction. The og accomplishes that more then then the plus.

Out of curiosity, I just went and checked the pre-arrival availability for a potential trip I have in July. I only have 5 regular magic band options (themed to MK lands) and they are the same price as the plain color MB+ $24.99.🤷‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter