• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MCO Car Rental Information

EACarlson

DIS Veteran
We see many threads here asking about car rental information at MCO. I'm hoping to have this kind of turn into a one stop for questions and answers.
There are ten companies that have their vehicles on site at MCO and do not require a shuttle. To the best of my information, all ten are available at all three terminals. Nine of those ten are owned by three companies: Hertz, Enterprise and Avis. The other is Sixt, which is a European company that is generally busier at Terminal C than it is at the other two. All of the below assume that you are a member of their "loyalty" clubs and have rented from them or one of their corporate cousins in the past. First rentals can have different rules.

Enterprise Group operates National, Enterprise and Alamo. All three offer a skip the counter option, and offer aisles to choose from. The major difference is in the age and quality of the vehicles and how those aisles are allotted.
With National you get access to the Emerald Aisle. If you reserve a mid size or above, you can choose any vehicle that is on that aisle. There can be anything from a Prius, to a Suburban, to a Minivan, to a Pickup Truck available. You never know what exactly is going to be available. If you really need a specific size, you need to reserve that size.
Enterprise you reserve a specific vehicle class and can take any vehicle from that class' aisle. You may be assigned a specific vehicle if you book an class with fewer options, Jeep, large SUV, Exotic, etc.
Alamo seems to work just like Enterprise. I've never rented from Alamo at MCO.

Hertz operates Hertz, Thrifty and Dollar. Only Hertz let's you skip the counter. Thrifty and Dollar stopped offering that in 2023.
Hertz offers Gold Canopy service, you walk out to the garage and your name is on a board with either Gold Aisle or a space number for your assigned vehicle. Gold Aisle operates much like National, you can take anything on the Aisle without regards to the actual class and pay the reserved amount.
Thrifty and Dollar are pretty much identical and operated as such. With no way to skip the counter, sometimes their lines get long and it can take a while. The offset to that is that they are generally much less expensive than Hertz. The vehicles are usually older and have more miles than the Hertz fleet and sometimes their maintenance isn't as good.

Avis operates Avis, Budget and Payless. Avis let's you skip the counter, Budget and Payless do not.
Avis doesn't operate an aisle, when you skip the counter you get assigned a vehicle, usually while you're in the air, in the app. It will have the make, model, color and spot number in the garage. Upon arrival you just walk out to the garage and get in your assigned vehicle.
Budget has changed recently and they do not pre print the contracts anymore and have them in the garage. Everyone has to go to the counter, which the few times I've walked by a Budget counter since the change, is always the busiest one in the airport. When you get your contract it will have a spot number assigned.
Payless I know almost nothing about, but I would assume it operates much like Budget since I've found they often share fleets and counters much like Dollar and Thrifty do.

Sixt is an outlier. It's the only European based company, does offer a check in online option but says you still need to visit the counter to get the keys. I don't have any firsthand knowledge but that seems out of whack with how MCO usually works. They are also going to be much more meticulous when you return the car about damage. A scrape or scratch with most of the other US companies will likely not be noticed or reported. With Sixt you can expect them to find and charge for any damage done. Definitely take pictures and/or video when picking up and dropping off. Because they are a very large player in Europe, many of the European visitors that come into Terminal C are more likely to use them than the domestic travelers at Terminals A and B.

General Tips.
Download the apps.
Book direct or at least with a third party that allows you to put in the loyalty number, I personally use www.autoslash.com.
If you need a specific size vehicle, book that size. Minivans are hard to come by on the aisles of National and Hertz. It's possible but don't count on it.
Always fill up before return, the best place is the Wawa at 6500 S Semoran Blvd, about a mile and a half north of 528. Any stations closer than that charge drastically inflated prices for fuel.
Keep checking for rate drops, very few things change in price as drastically as rental cars. I've had rental cars start at $700 for the week that when the trip actually came, I paid less than $200.
Know your insurance. Does your personal insurance cover you while driving a rental car? Does your credit card offer rental car insurance? If you have an American Express, almost all of them allow you to purchase a very good rental car policy for $20/rental, most of the rental car companies charge something like $20/day.

Great information. I booked Hertz for an upcoming Feb trip using Capital One CC points. I am Gold Five Star and I see the reservation in my App. Because I booked with 3rd part points, I called customer service to determine if I can go straight to the car, they said yes but I did not feel confident they knew for sure. If anyone has done this and know for sure, I would love to hear.

AMEX Premium Car Rental Protection
I second the Amex insurance suggestion. While some cards might have primary insurance built into it automatically as a card perk, pretty much every Amex cardholder can join the car rental insurance program but you have to sign up for it ("Premium Car Rental Protection"). This coverage is primary insurance and has a flat fee for a rental up to 42 days. There are two options available - a lower tier and a higher tier. Both are sufficient to cover almost all rentals but the higher tier plan does come with more coverage, which is a nice luxury if you are renting a large or luxurious vehicle.

Once you sign up for the PCRP all you have to do is use that card to pay for the rental car with the agency. Your next card statement will be charged the plan amount (most options are $19.99 and $24.99 but prices do vary a little due to state laws & regulations).

Other tips
- Leverage your memberships and loyalty programs. Whether it is AAA, AARP, Costco/Sams Club/BJ's, a hotel brand, or airline program - you can often times get cheaper prices, free upgrades, free extras, or other benefits with your car rental by using your memberships with other groups.
- Never take the pre-pay fuel option. Unless you somehow can return the car with pretty much no fuel left in it, the deal is going to lose you money. I've never seen a deal on the price that the companies will charge per gallon either. As stated above, the Wawa station is close by and easy to fill up before returning your vehicle. Save yourself some money by spending 5-10 minutes getting gas yourself.
- Trust the on-site companies. There are numerous off-site companies that require a shuttle and they'll give you a better deal almost certainly but they come with less reliability and a higher likelihood of hidden fees + add-ons. This is not to say that you should not consider one of the national brands' off-site options. Taking an Uber to a different Enterprise location for example is not as easy as simply walking out of the terminal but it can save you a decent amount of money.
- Unless you get an absolutely ridiculous price that is impossible to pass up, do not prepay for your rental. Prepaying comes with limited options to cancel and very rarely can you do so for free. You might pay a few bucks more for a pay later option but it likely can save you some headaches in the end, plus it could end up cheaper anyways as prices vary wildly over days, weeks, and months.
- Unless you are going to be traveling everyday on a toll road and using it heavily on those days as well, taking the "unlimited tolls" option is likely going to not save you money and be quite expensive. The better options include:
--- Use your own transponder. The toll roads around the area are part of the EZ Pass system so a lot of other states' transponders will work in Florida. It's also possible to get a FL SunPass transponder as well if you wish.
--- Use Visitor Toll Pass. Download the VTP app, put in your information, reserve the pass, pick up the hang-tag pass, use it, and return it. No fees outside the toll fees. Pretty easy to use but can currently only be picked up in the Terminal A baggage area.
--- Pay cash. It does vary by the road but there are still cash payment options for some/most of the toll roads in the Orlando area, so if you make sure to stop at them, it is possible to simply pay cash. But make sure you actually do as it is quite easy to accidentally miss one of the cash plazas and end up with a toll violation or triggering the rental car company's toll program for the day.
--- Rental car company Toll Program. Most companies offer a program where you will only be charged a fee for any days that you use a toll road plus the actual toll cost. It is the easiest option on the list but generally will cost you the most due to the $5 (give or take a few dollars) daily usage charge in addition to the toll fees.
- Don't be afraid to ask for an upgrade or see if a different vehicle is possible, especially if it is a slower period of the year. And be nice to the employees, not only because kindness makes people want to help you but also simply because service industry people have a bunch of negative experiences so a positive one is always nice to help balance things out.

More tips:
  • ALWAYS have AutoSlash track your reservation for lower rates. You can tell them which companies you want them to search once you get the confirming e-mail that they're tracking your rental.
  • NEVER pay in full in advance, as these rates lock you in and you can't cancel for any reason.
  • Don't assume Costco gives you the "best" rate; they don't do business with all the companies. I haven't found that Costco's rate is the lowest for a couple of years now. AutoSlash has always come up with a better rate, usually through Priceline. You should input the company's loyalty program number when booking on Priceline through AutoSlash, btw.

Avis operates Avis, Budget and Payless. Avis let's you skip the counter, Budget and Payless do not.
In January this year (2023) we had a Budget rental booked via Costco, with our Budget Fastbreak number attached. When I turned on my phone after landing, a text message popped up from Budget with a code to click. That opened a page showing our car's make, model, and color, its license plate number, and which parking spot it was in. All we had to do was find the car, load the luggage, and show ID as we exited. It was the best rental car pickup experience we've ever had.

Has that changed since January?

Is that process no longer in place now?

Last edited:
In January this year (2023) we had a Budget rental booked via Costco, with our Budget Fastbreak number attached. When I turned on my phone after landing, a text message popped up from Budget with a code to click. That opened a page showing our car's make, model, and color, its license plate number, and which parking spot it was in. All we had to do was find the car, load the luggage, and show ID as we exited. It was the best rental car pickup experience we've ever had.

Has that changed since January?
No, your January experience remains exactly the same. 🤣

:cutie: I guess I should edit my post to ask whether that process was discontinued after January!
Yes, in April or May they made a corporate decision to eliminate most of the benefits of FastBreak. My company booked me with Budget at BNA in May, the Budget line took almost two hours.

Yes, in April or May they made a corporate decision to eliminate most of the benefits of FastBreak. My company booked me with Budget at BNA in May, the Budget line took almost two hours.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind next time!

I'm confused, we rented with Budget in October and were able to skip the line in the terminal by using the counter in the parking garage which had no line. Are you saying in the last month they stopped utilizing the counter in the garage and you must visit the counter in the terminal? Or are you saying the line in the garage was 2 hours? Asking because this will change who we rent from in a few weeks.

Sharing another data point, we rented with Avis in September and the app did not tell us which spot to go to. We went to the counter in the parking garage and they gave us our paperwork which had our spot number on it.

I'm confused, we rented with Budget in October and were able to skip the line in the terminal by using the counter in the parking garage which had no line. Are you saying in the last month they stopped utilizing the counter in the garage and you must visit the counter in the terminal? Or are you saying the line in the garage was 2 hours? Asking because this will change who we rent from in a few weeks.

Sharing another data point, we rented with Avis in September and the app did not tell us which spot to go to. We went to the counter in the parking garage and they gave us our paperwork which had our spot number on it.
The counter in the parking garage is not supposed to be used at all anymore. I would say your situation is either an unannounced change or you got lucky with an employee that didn't want to send you back in to the terminal.

The counter in the parking garage is not supposed to be used at all anymore. I would say your situation is either an unannounced change or you got lucky with an employee that didn't want to send you back in to the terminal.
Hmm.. I didn't get that vibe at all (and I definitely have in past years when there was an issue with a car) and others got in line behind me and it didn't look like anyone was turned away. Budget's site for MCO does still say go straight to the counter in the garage for all terminals. Let me try and see if I can get other's recent experiences to see what the norm is.

So disappointing that these companies are making it so much less convenient to get off the plane, grab your bags, and get your car...... I wonder if it's staffing issues that are making them do away with going right to your car? Might need to review the companies that continue to do that - I really don't want to be spending hours in line waiting for my car. I prefer the "Lightning Lane" version of bypassing the standby line!

So disappointing that these companies are making it so much less convenient to get off the plane, grab your bags, and get your car...... I wonder if it's staffing issues that are making them do away with going right to your car? Might need to review the companies that continue to do that - I really don't want to be spending hours in line waiting for my car. I prefer the "Lightning Lane" version of bypassing the standby line!
A lot of it is that it's easier for them to upsell in person vs on an app. Plus car companies oversell their selections so some companies likely prefer making people come to the counters so they can more accurately assign cars on an at need basis vs the company needing to maintain specific lanes, etc.

Following along to find out about Budget recent experiences. I have heard the horror stories of the lines at MCO recently with FastBreak and its heart breaking. As stated above I had the same experience of the QR Code exit in Oakland about a month ago and it was the greatest experience I had with a rental car. I was hopeful they added this to MCO. I pick up my car on Wednesday and I will not be happy to wait for 2 hours to get a car. I was thinking of prepaying with budget to save $50 but if the line is like that I would rather go with Alamo and skip the counter and go right to my car even for more money.

Following along to find out about Budget recent experiences. I have heard the horror stories of the lines at MCO recently with FastBreak and its heart breaking. As stated above I had the same experience of the QR Code exit in Oakland about a month ago and it was the greatest experience I had with a rental car. I was hopeful they added this to MCO. I pick up my car on Wednesday and I will not be happy to wait for 2 hours to get a car. I was thinking of prepaying with budget to save $50 but if the line is like that I would rather go with Alamo and skip the counter and go right to my car even for more money.
Please report back, whatever you do! We had the wonderful QR code Budget pickup at MCO in January, and I’m really distressed to hear that they stopped using it afterwards!

Please report back, whatever you do! We had the wonderful QR code Budget pickup at MCO in January, and I’m really distressed to hear that they stopped using it afterwards!
Will do. I spoke with someone from Budget yesterday and they told me they have the QR still offered and the car will show up on the app but I still have my doubts. I have a car reserved with Alamo also just in case. Budget is cheaper but I am not waiting 2 hours plus for a car

Alamo works same as Enterprise(at least from my experience in May 2023). We reserved a minivan. Went to the garage and was told to go to aisle "X"(don't remember which aisle it was) and was able to pick anything in that aisle that was a minivan.

Any updates on Budget and the fastbreak? We pick up on Tuesday and don't want to wait for 2 hours in line when we have signed up for fastbreak. I got an email from Budget saying I don't have to wait and go to the garage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter