MCO or Port Canaveral hotel before cruise?

WishUponAStar3

Believer In Big Dreams!
So I figured out my post-cruise hotel (Polynesian- thanks to all on here who encouraged me to add another day in the Disney bubble! 😍) and now I just need to settle on our hotel for the night before. I currently have us booked at Residence Inn Cape Canaveral, but since then I've heard a number of people say it's not THAT close to Port Canaveral and that we'd need transport from our hotel anyway, and staying at MCO Hyatt is easier and to just get up earlier the next day for the drive to the port? What do you all usually do?

I want to make sure we're at the port by 11 AM at the latest, since part of the reason I booked concierge was to be able to get an early port arrival time and enjoy as much of the ship as possible on debarkation day. With my family not really being early risers, I figured Residence Inn would be a lot easier on embarkation morning as opposed to having to get up and leave our hotel much earlier. That said, after a 1-hour drive to the airport and 3-hour flight with two small kids, I love the idea of not having to immediately put them back in car seats for yet another hour-long drive to Cape Canaveral, and being able to just relax after landing. Which do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!!

Would you consider staying at the Hyatt inside the airport? (Just re-read your post - that was part of the question. ) 🤭

Just checked - one night, one room, 2A 2K, 2 queen beds. AAA rate is $294 + tax.

Hyatt member rate is $299 (can join when booking), if not AAA member.

Use Disney bus from the hotel lobby (priority BG - with Concierge going first) @ $45 pp OW.

Nice hotel. We stayed and did the bus ride in September.

If you think this is your choice and the price (or better) is still available, BOOK it. I booked it, saw a price drop, re-priced it and then watched the price climb.

We appreciated arriving at the airport, grabbing our bags (actually had checked in first) and letting the bus get us there. I was up early and got Dunkin when they opened. We had a room credit (Amex) so got some room service breakfast.

So many additional steps not required; made it feel so easy.

Stay at Cape Canaveral. There is NO hotel within walking distance of the port there. Everyone does transfers and shuttle or take a quick Uber if you don’t have a car.

For not being early risers I would rather get to Canaveral and hang out there. Residence Inn is nice - last stayed there in 2021 - and it is very close to port.

I currently have us booked at Residence Inn Cape Canaveral, but since then I've heard a number of people say it's not THAT close to Port Canaveral and that we'd need transport from our hotel anyway,
The RI is one of the closest hotels to the port. Every hotel in the area will require a shuttle/uber/lyft/taxi to get from the hotel to the ship.

You mentioned concierge, and no car-correct? DCL transport at the airport boards by groups, concierge being the first. That would assure your port arrival time. But you have an hour ride and you will need to get up early for that. The Residence Inn is lovely for a family. Stayed there many times as a family. You would not have an hour ride to the port, could sleep in a bit. They have a decent breakfast. Nice pool. Then just the shuttle, taxi or Uber to the port for 11am . Not sure what I would due-depends on my flight. Early in the day, I would transfer to the port and be done with it. Late day, evening arrival, I would stay right there at the Hyatt with an early call the next morning. Good luck with your decision.

Which do you recommend?
We love staying at Port Canaveral. We've done the Homewood Suites 3 times. One cruise we stayed in Orlando, and it made the morning seem so rushed.

Also, we've taken to doing 1-way car rentals, so I like the ability to drive around Cocoa Beach the day before in case we need anything (e.g., the airline broke my dad's suitcase in October and we had to go buy a new one at TJ Maxx).

With a car, you can really stay anywhere in Port Canaveral or down to Cocoa Beach. There are a few hotels that have rooms with two double beds AND a sofa bed, if you need three beds. Also, seriously compare the price of a weekly rental for your entire cruise, because sometimes it's cheaper than two one-way rentals, and that allows you to skip the stops at the rental place. Plus you can leave the car seats in the car during your cruise!

Some hotels will provide shuttles to and from the port...and let you leave the rental car at the hotel.

As for the discussion of not wanting to put the kids back in their car seats, it's going to be 30 minutes or more for the kids to stretch their legs while you get your bags. What time do you get in? You don't necessarily have to go straight to the hotel from the airport. We're getting in at 11 am, and going to get lunch then possibly a round at one of Disney's miniature golf courses before driving to Cocoa Beach. We're staying at the Hampton Inn, which not only has a pool but also a pathway direct to the beach.

To me, it depends on when we arrive at MCO. If it's in the morning, then staying in the Cape Canaveral area is the way to go. If arriving later in the afternoon or evening, then it's better to just stay at the MCO Hyatt.

Would you consider staying at the Hyatt inside the airport? (Just re-read your post - that was part of the question. ) 🤭

Just checked - one night, one room, 2A 2K, 2 queen beds. AAA rate is $294 + tax.

Hyatt member rate is $299 (can join when booking), if not AAA member.

Use Disney bus from the hotel lobby (priority BG - with Concierge going first) @ $45 pp OW.

Nice hotel. We stayed and did the bus ride in September.

If you think this is your choice and the price (or better) is still available, BOOK it. I booked it, saw a price drop, re-priced it and then watched the price climb.

We appreciated arriving at the airport, grabbing our bags (actually had checked in first) and letting the bus get us there. I was up early and got Dunkin when they opened. We had a room credit (Amex) so got some room service breakfast.

So many additional steps not required; made it feel so easy.

Thank you soo much for this info!! So helpful!

To me, it depends on when we arrive at MCO. If it's in the morning, then staying in the Cape Canaveral area is the way to go. If arriving later in the afternoon or evening, then it's better to just stay at the MCO Hyatt.

Good point! We land at 4 PM. What would you do in that case? It’s a Sunday, so hopefully rush hour traffic to Cape Canaveral wouldn’t be an issue?

Good point! We land at 4 PM. What would you do in that case? It’s a Sunday, so hopefully rush hour traffic to Cape Canaveral wouldn’t be an issue?
A no brainer must do for us has been a Beach Facing Room in Cocoa Beach. We enjoy knowing PC is only minutes away AND IF worse came to be - we could schlep to the Terminal :duck: , but seriously we CHILL after arriving and wake up EARLY (5am+/-) just to watch the ship as it glides by heading into the channel then back into a cozy bed for a bit (or not) then up to watch the sunrise while listening to the waves coming ashore and we even have a small breakfast before heading out.

A no brainer must do for us has been a Beach Facing Room in Cocoa Beach. We enjoy knowing PC is only minutes away AND IF worse came to be - we could schlep to the Terminal :duck: , but seriously we CHILL after arriving and wake up EARLY (5am+/-) just to watch the ship as it glides by heading into the channel then back into a cozy bed for a bit (or not) then up to watch the sunrise while listening to the waves coming ashore and we even have a small breakfast before heading out.
Which hotel would you recommend? This sounds like a plan!

Which hotel would you recommend? This sounds like a plan!
We've stayed in a few but prefer the Low Key older Best Western even though it's a bit farther from the Port. Some who arrive at their hotel earlier in the day might go out for a dinner but since we're in the chill mode as soon as we pass the Port we walk across A1A to Publix and do a Grab n Go Back to the room for a dinner on the balcony or inside if buggy.

I’ll share a secret. We found a complete gem of a hotel about 1/2 hour from, and a very easy drive to Port Canaveral. Check out the new Courtyard Marriott Titusville. It has an awesome pool area, its rooms are large and are space themed with a projector in each room to place stars on the ceiling at night, and it is the perfect place if you want a pre or post stay to visit Kennedy Space Center. It’s right there! And the best part of our last cruise…..we were able to take in an actual launch the night before our cruise from their top deck viewing platform. It may have been the highlight of our stay pre-cruise! Also enjoy the Adirondack chairs that line the river for viewing…just a cool experience!! Even though the launch schedule is unpredictable with weather and complications, it’s still worth booking for the atmosphere, and maybe you will be lucky enough, too! Even the food in the lobby bar area and the viewing deck was delicious. Two thumbs up for this beautiful property. Great customer service and I could have stayed a week! Already booked again for our August cruise on the Fantasy and can’t wait!

Landing at 4pm, I would just stay at the MCO Hyatt, and take DCL bus to the ship. Staying near the port, you’re not checking in to your hotel until after 6pm. Doesn’t really leave time to enjoy the area or pool even, assuming you'll have to fit dinner in after you get there.

Landing at 4pm, I would just stay at the MCO Hyatt, and take DCL bus to the ship. Staying near the port, you’re not checking in to your hotel until after 6pm. Doesn’t really leave time to enjoy the area or pool even, assuming you'll have to fit dinner in after you get there.
Or consider any of the dozen hotels on Augusta National Drive, just off MCO property. All with shuttles, most with free breakfast, all less expensive than the Hyatt in MCO.

Or consider any of the dozen hotels on Augusta National Drive, just off MCO property. All with shuttles, most with free breakfast, all less expensive than the Hyatt in MCO.
That's true... but DCL Transfers from the Hyatt Lobby now include some "perks" that some folks may consider to be "worth" the additional cost of the MCO Hyatt. Those include luggage transfer directly from the hotel room to the ship, check-in at the Hyatt lobby by CC status with assigned bus, no PAT/early boarding group. By comparison, staying at any other airport area hotel requires shuttle to the hotel (with luggage), shuttle back to MCO (with luggage), drag luggage to the DCL Transfer check-in location, waiting in crowds (possibly in long lines) for the DCL Transfer which is first-come/first-served, and must get a PAT during DCL online check-in and boarding number will be higher (later).

Personal choice how much extra someone is willing to pay for MCO Hyatt, but it definitely has more "perks" recently than in years past.

That's true... but DCL Transfers from the Hyatt Lobby now include some "perks" that some folks may consider to be "worth" the additional cost of the MCO Hyatt. Those include luggage transfer directly from the hotel room to the ship, check-in at the Hyatt lobby by CC status with assigned bus, no PAT/early boarding group. By comparison, staying at any other airport area hotel requires shuttle to the hotel (with luggage), shuttle back to MCO (with luggage), drag luggage to the DCL Transfer check-in location, waiting in crowds (possibly in long lines) for the DCL Transfer which is first-come/first-served, and must get a PAT during DCL online check-in and boarding number will be higher (later).

Personal choice how much extra someone is willing to pay for MCO Hyatt, but it definitely has more "perks" recently than in years past.
All things to consider. I did the off site hotel because the money I saved was enough to offset the perks of staying and the Hyatt MCO.

Landing at 4 PM, by the time you've deplaned, collected any gate checked strollers, gone to the restroom, and picked up luggage, you're looking at 430. Then it's schlepping to the car rental desk and checking in there, unless you have a skip the line membership that's already activated, picking up the car, installing car seat(s)...It's 5? Maybe...

And that landing at 4 PM is predicated on your flight not being delayed for any reason....throw in any unanticipated delays and you have to bump out the time lines.

If it was me, I'd just stay at the Hyatt and deal with the early wake up the next morning.

So I figured out my post-cruise hotel (Polynesian- thanks to all on here who encouraged me to add another day in the Disney bubble! 😍) and now I just need to settle on our hotel for the night before. I currently have us booked at Residence Inn Cape Canaveral, but since then I've heard a number of people say it's not THAT close to Port Canaveral and that we'd need transport from our hotel anyway, and staying at MCO Hyatt is easier and to just get up earlier the next day for the drive to the port? What do you all usually do?

I want to make sure we're at the port by 11 AM at the latest, since part of the reason I booked concierge was to be able to get an early port arrival time and enjoy as much of the ship as possible on debarkation day. With my family not really being early risers, I figured Residence Inn would be a lot easier on embarkation morning as opposed to having to get up and leave our hotel much earlier. That said, after a 1-hour drive to the airport and 3-hour flight with two small kids, I love the idea of not having to immediately put them back in car seats for yet another hour-long drive to Cape Canaveral, and being able to just relax after landing. Which do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!!
I would stay right at the Hyatt in the airport. So easy...just get up and bring all your luggage down to the Disney Cruise lounge, they will take your luggage and you can go get something to eat, or shop in the airport. We had a lot of fun when we did this. And they take the bus from the lounge right to the ship. It couldn't have been easier. Real peace of mind knowing you'll be on time for the ship, nice and early. We'll do this again when we go in September. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter