MCO to resort

KSR0330

DIS Veteran
Any recommendations for a safe and reputable car service from MCO to my resort (female traveling solo)? I'm considering taking Mears, but would prefer to pay more and not have to wait / arrive 3 hours early. Thanks!

I'm on the fence on dealing with lyft/uber or booking ahead for a town car. Following this thread to see if it sways me one way or the other. We don't have rideshare in our tiny little town and we have no experience with it other than using a Minnie Van from resort to resort on our last trip. How far is the Uber/Lyft pick from the luggage pick ups? And with the town car service, is that where you see the driving holding up your name at the airport? Not sure if these questions will help the original poster, but I'm hoping because I'm in the same boat. Actually, a boat to WDW would be awesome!

I'm on the fence on dealing with lyft/uber or booking ahead for a town car. Following this thread to see if it sways me one way or the other. We don't have rideshare in our tiny little town and we have no experience with it other than using a Minnie Van from resort to resort on our last trip. How far is the Uber/Lyft pick from the luggage pick ups? And with the town car service, is that where you see the driving holding up your name at the airport? Not sure if these questions will help the original poster, but I'm hoping because I'm in the same boat. Actually, a boat to WDW would be awesome!
How far is the rideshare pickup at MCO? Depends on what terminal your plane arrives at. At A/B the rideshare area is quite close to the luggage pickup. At Terminal C, nothing is near anything--so be prepared!

OP, do you have any objection to taking a regular old taxicab (as opposed to a rideshare)? You don't have to book in advance and the price is probably a bit less than a town car service. We used to use a town car service but stopped after we had to deal with a very earlier pickup time for the return trip--no better than Mears.

These days I often take the Mears shuttle to the resort and a rideshare back to the airport.

I've used Uber at least 5 or 6 times as a solo female, and I've always felt very safe. They send me a description of the car, including the license plate, which I always check both ways. The drivers have always been polite and respectful. Before I used Uber the first time, I was a little uncomfortable about it because that's the way I am! But now I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

I agree with Uber or Lyft. I always text a screenshot of the vehicle and driver information to a friend or family member once I get it, if I am alone. I also keep the app open, there is an emergency type button you can hit in case of an emergency. It tracks your location and knows where you are. Even with a car service or a taxi, you are still getting into a car with someone you don't know, and you don't know how thorough a background check the company does - if at all. At least with Uber and Lyft they do checks and have some safety features built in to the app.

Frequent solo female traveler here - have used Lyft every time (to and from the airport) with no issues. The pickup is right outside baggage claim at MCO and I've never waited for more than a couple of minutes for a car.
Like other posters have mentioned, the app has safety features built in to share your ride with another person so they can watch your progress, or so you can call emergency services.

I can understand the hesitancy if you're not accustomed to using ride share in your daily life. For me there's no need to use it at home (although my husband has a few times when his car was being serviced), but on trips anywhere, it's a lifesaver.

Honestly I am not an uber or lyft person but I don't mind taking Taxis. Last time I took a taxi from MCO there was no wait and my driver was extremely friendly.

I've used Uber at least 5 or 6 times as a solo female, and I've always felt very safe. They send me a description of the car, including the license plate, which I always check both ways. The drivers have always been polite and respectful. Before I used Uber the first time, I was a little uncomfortable about it because that's the way I am! But now I wouldn't hesitate to use them.
I’ve had the same experience with Uber/ Lyft. I was very anxious about getting into a rideshare alone the first time I used it (between some issues in my past and my chronic anxiety life is FUN sometimes 🤦🏻‍♀️).

There is a feature in the app that allows you to send your ride info in real time to another person (like gps info that another person can use to see where you are). When they arrive I take a second to text someone and say something to the driver like “sorry about that, just needed a second to let friend/ husband know I’m in the car and on my way.” Maybe unnecessary but it really can’t hurt. I also let them greet me by my name and do not offer it first.

I have had good luck with Lyft, but because of this thread I looked into Tiffany’s, had a good long conversation, I was able to express my concerns / failures of other companies.

I was impressed with their answers, I travel for a living, have taken car services in most states in the US and a few parts of Europe, and i was impressed…
Level of detail, to the car, driver, and trip…
Easy of accommodation….
Fair/competitive, an expected pricing…
and most importantly they own the cars and employee the drivers….
Most of the other companies don’t and that leads to a service issue…

I will be using them for my next trip

On one trip, after a mix up with DME, I took a good old fashioned taxi. Safe, bonded and insured, we had a safe, uneventful trip to BLT. Cost was less than a rideshare or town car, and I felt safer knowing they were regulated, instead of just some crazy guy with a side gig.

Thanks, everyone. I've never used Uber/Lyft or a taxi. I looked up prices and according to Google (which I know may not be totally accurate) it says ride share is about $40-$80 each way (I'd assume closer to $40) and taxi is $60-$80 each way. Florida Town Car Service is $115 round trip and will meet me right at baggage claim. For me having things all set up is worth the bit of extra money.

Thanks, everyone. I've never used Uber/Lyft or a taxi. I looked up prices and according to Google (which I know may not be totally accurate) it says ride share is about $40-$80 each way (I'd assume closer to $40) and taxi is $60-$80 each way. Florida Town Car Service is $115 round trip and will meet me right at baggage claim. For me having things all set up is worth the bit of extra money.
As much as I love rideshare the math and assorted logistics don’t always work out for us vs car service either.

For our August trip for 4 of us (2 adults, 1 adult sized 16 year old, and a 6 year old who needs a car seat plus all of our luggage and a small stroller) the rideshare to accommodate all of us would be around $98 plus tip on average, one way. Car service with a grocery stop and a car seat included is $219 plus tip round-trip and for $25 more I can have the driver meet us at baggage claim to help us with our luggage. Well worth the $23- $48 difference to me.

As a frequent solo traveler I usually use Uber or Lyft, whichever is cheaper at the time. The times I arrive (usually early in the morning) they are MUCH less than a taxi would be. Next trip I am going to give the Mears service a shot from the airport to my resort for $16.50, i am not in a huge hurry to get there, but I will Uber or Lyft back to MCO so I can choose my own timing and not have to worry about multiple stops on the way.

I used Happy Limo one trip and it was great and easy, especially because I had a really early flight home and they were waiting for me at 4:30am outside my hotel so I didn't have to hope for an Uber.

That said, I use Uber/Lyft all the time at home and when I travel and the safety precautions built into the app are helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter