MCO to Swan

i luv the duck

Mouseketeer
This is my first solo trip to DW and will be staying at Swan Resort. I won’t be renting a car so I’m trying to figure out what is the safest form of transportation to use from MCO to Swan. I’ve used cabs, Uber, Lyft in the past but I was always with my husband. Have you ever had an uncomfortable experience with a ride share? What should I avoid?

This is my first solo trip to DW and will be staying at Swan Resort. I won’t be renting a car so I’m trying to figure out what is the safest form of transportation to use from MCO to Swan. I’ve used cabs, Uber, Lyft in the past but I was always with my husband. Have you ever had an uncomfortable experience with a ride share? What should I avoid?
Swan has a bus or go to the boardwalk inn for their bus

Someone will likely fill some of the void that the cancelation of the WDW Prison Bus from MCO created. It will cost money, but it will be there. It is to big a void to go unfilled. There won't be as many, as often but there will be something authorized by Disney complete with Disney decals I'm sure of it. Disney only wanted to stop paying for the service, it would be foolish of them not to authorize a reputable transportation company, probably one that still owns the original Magic buses. Don't hold me to that prediction, but it seems like a no brainer. It will be costly, but it will be very much like what was always there except now you'll have to have to pay for it.

I was with my son for the Uber from MCO to the Dolphin but I would do that again if I was traveling alone and I'm a fairly cautious person. I picked the "comfort" level on Uber which is supposed to be nicer/newer cars and more legroom. At the time it was only about $5-10 more than the regular Uber. Seems like there is a way to pick more experienced/more highly rated uber drivers but maybe that is just Uber black.

I pulled up Uber right now and a regular Uber is $37 from MCO to the Swan and Comfort is $43. Uber black is $76 and that's a professional driver. I'd go with the Comfort one - just thinking someone with a newer car probably is more professional and wants to take care of the vehicle, etc. I have gotten regular Ubers in Orlando and I was never afraid of the drivers but some of the cars were meh - one didn't have working seatbelts. I always get the "comfort" ones now unless the price is crazy different and usually it is not.

I've done a lot of solo trips this past year and have been using Anthony Hinds Transportation to and from MCO. He is such a nice man and I always feel safe with him. Message me if you want his contact info - he's around $60 each way. And he is always game for a single stop on the way to the hotel - I always pre-order with Target and they bring it out to the car.

I would also feel comfortable taking a cab from the airport.

I have also used Lyft to/from The Dolphin at times, too and never felt uncomfortable.

Someone will likely fill some of the void that the cancelation of the WDW Prison Bus from MCO created. It will cost money, but it will be there. It is to big a void to go unfilled. There won't be as many, as often but there will be something authorized by Disney complete with Disney decals I'm sure of it. Disney only wanted to stop paying for the service, it would be foolish of them not to authorize a reputable transportation company, probably one that still owns the original Magic buses. Don't hold me to that prediction, but it seems like a no brainer. It will be costly, but it will be very much like what was always there except now you'll have to have to pay for it.
Mears (the company that runs Magical Express) has already announced their new service, Mears Connect, which is basically a paid version of DME without the Disney name. mearsconnect.com

I’ve stayed at the Swan and Dolphin four times total. There has never been Magical Express to those hotels… so Mears has been the option of choice for decades.

If you want to take a shuttle, just stop by the Mears desk (which is on the ground floor of the airport before you leave) or book advance on their new website at MearsConnect.com. It’s probably the most cost effective way for a solo traveler. People have sometimes reported finding discount codes when booking in advance online (the transportation forum can probably help with that here on disboards). You may have to share a ride with other guests at nearby hotels, as the shuttle will make multiple stops. But I’ve also lucked out and been the first stop or even the only passenger.

I tend to use Mears one-way from the airport, because I’m not in a rush and it’s not bad to see other nearby resort hotels. But when returning, I’ll tend to book an Uber or Lyft so that I can be sure to arrive for my flight on-time without being given an unreasonably early shuttle departure. Of course, that comes with a much higher price tag.

Edit: see below. Others have pointed out that Mears has stopped shared shuttles during covid.

Last edited:
Mears discontinued shared shuttle due to covid. I don't think it's resumed
Mears Connect is starting in January. It's effectively the same service as DME without the Disney name, for a nominal fee ($32 per adult round trip).

Mears Connect is starting in January. It's effectively the same service as DME without the Disney name, for a nominal fee ($32 per adult round trip).
Disney's initial DME material included inbound luggage service and outbound RAC as part of DME. By all accounts Mears won't be offering those perks.
I don't know when the OP is traveling. A poster mentioned walking over to the Mears desk and booking a transfer to Swan i don't think that service is available.

I suspect Mears connect will service Swan

Disney's initial DME material included inbound luggage service and outbound RAC as part of DME. By all accounts Mears won't be offering those perks.
I don't know when the OP is traveling. A poster mentioned walking over to the Mears desk and booking a transfer to Swan i don't think that service is available.

Mears has mentioned the luggage service being a possibility in the future, but that won’t be happening right away.

Ah got it. The last time I went was pre-Covid, so I didn’t realize they had stopped shared shuttles. The standard Mears service seems a bit expensive for a solo traveler, and there probably aren’t any great options that aren’t inflated. Even rental cars are a bit expensive now due to the shortage. Hopefully it will be better soon.

As someone else mentioned Uber Comfort was a big step up from Uber - Ive seen standard Uber show up and not even allow people to put stuff in the trunk going from Hotel to MCO.

A more professional driver with a higher rating - the app ask asks you about temperature and conversation options - most help with your luggage and its a nicer car.

You can also look into using Tony Hinds - he is well known on the Universal Boards of this site - that is a private car service that will give you a decent rate round trip.

If you do use Mears make sure you book it in advance - if you come in at off hours it can be a bit of a hassle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter