Me and the Magic Kingdom 30 Years Ago

cardramblues

Mouseketeer
Hey guys, I thought since it was a rainy day here in the STL and I have the day off, I would post some pics that I found last night at my Grandpa's house. My Grandparents took my sister and I to the world for our first trip in 1980 and of course I have been hooked ever since. I was 5 at the time and still have many fond memories of my first trip. Anyway here are some of the pics I thought you all might enjoy...

My sister and I getting to know our transportation:
disney1038.jpg

This is us with Pluto. It must have been a hot day in Florida, look at poor Pluto's tongue!

disney4041.jpg

For comparison sake, this is my middle son last year at the exact same age as I was. Thank goodness they moved Pluto into the AC.

image103.jpg

Anyone remember Friar Tuck or tube socks? Disney's Robin Hood was one of my favs as a kid so this was a thrill for me (in case you can't tell from the photo):

disney6043.jpg

I remember when Mickey walked out on Main Street, he could have just as easily been Elvis. Kids screaming and running everywhere, but you can spot me in my bright green Mickey Ears. Disney has come a long way with their character meets:

disney5042.jpg

Have to run a few errands, but I will post some more in a little while.

Thanks for sharing! Could you imagine Mickey walking out onto Main Street now? He would get mobbed! :scared1:

Awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!

Here's one of me and my mom at disney land about 24 years ago.

2959125770041152154LWNTeL_ph.jpg

I love looking at people's Disney pics from years prior to the mainstreaming of the digital camera! Thanks for sharing!

Hey everyone, sorry it took me so long to post some more pics. Here are some from Fantasyland...

Is it possible my Grandparents used touringplans for this trip? Check out the empty Fantasyland (notice the Skyway).

disney6048.jpg

This attraction hasn't changed much (at least it has more shade now):

disney6049.jpg

Another pic looking back toward the castle:

disney6051.jpg

Anyone remember the swan boats? They sure add to the beauty of the castle:

disney2039.jpg

Was I the only one that thought we were actually being attacked by a giant squid? This was probably my favorite as a kid R.I.P.:

disney6046.jpg

disney6045.jpg

I think the topiaries have come along way, don't you?

disney6044.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pics, I am going to try and dig up a few more. I'll post them as soon as I find them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter