Meadows construction stakes

Love Ft Wilderness

Mouseketeer
Just getting around to posting this. These pictures are from our stay at the Fort in December. We noticed several construction stakes in the meadow area around the playground and frisbee field. I highlighted the stakes' locations in the pictures below. Any idea what it may be?

Meadows1.JPG
Meadows2.JPG

Meadows3.JPG

@Love Ft Wilderness,

I went over to the Meadow field this morning and only found two stakes still standing but found the holes in the ground where the others had been.

This one was between the frisbee golf target and the tennis courts.

This one was by a tree near the sidewalk behind the pool slide fence.

Those were the only stakes standing but as I said, I found evidence of others in your photos. I took two pictures as examples. This first one was the location up by the volleyball net post. See the circular muddy spot in the ground?

Same for this one also out near the frisbee golf target.

I'm afraid to tell you what I'm about to tell you.

I think I saw those kind of stakes down around River Country, the Settlement Trading Post, and Pioneer Hall (HDDR & TE) before the construction started for the now paused DVC project on old River Country.

They take soil core samples to determine the make of the ground for many feet below ground level to know how much support/footings/pilings are going to be needed to support the planned buildings above ground for that location. I guess two more samples are needed. They literally push/twist a hollow tube straight down deeper and deeper which fills with dirt, sand, clay, peat, etc. which they then pull out to analyze to find the strength of the ground.

Sadly, it appears to me that some construction is planned for that area.

Darn it.

Bama Ed

@bama_ed

Thank you for checking that out and the pictures. We were afraid something like that would happen for DVC amenities yet to be determined.

Ugh. Let's hope the ground is not conducive to what they need.

So sad.

@bama_ed

Thank you for checking that out and the pictures. We were afraid something like that would happen for DVC amenities yet to be determined.

Ugh. Let's hope the ground is not conducive to what they need.

So sad.

Hopefully, there's quicksand just below the surface and thus unsafe to build ANYTHING on.

Bama Ed

PS - also, because it says "PSI" on the stakes, it could be some kind of pressure test where they go down into the soil and apply pressure and see how much it gives or resists/presses back. But it's the same principle as what I described above. What weight can the soil support and how much assistance would it need.

Hopefully, there's quicksand just below the surface and thus unsafe to build ANYTHING on.

Bama Ed

PS - also, because it says "PSI" on the stakes, it could be some kind of pressure test where they go down into the soil and apply pressure and see how much it gives or resists/presses back. But it's the same principle as what I described above. What weight can the soil support and how much assistance would it need.
Maybe there's a sinkhole down there that will open up. Then we would have our own mini-River Country. :tongue:

You were a real BIRD DOG on this one, @Love Ft Wilderness . You knew something was up before everyone else did.

https://blogmickey.com/2024/04/disn...for-new-5500sqft-building-at-fort-wilderness/

Thanks to @wdw_dine_junkie for the link.

Bama Ed
We're on a visit at Epcot this weekend and spoke to an ex-Trail's End server who mentioned there was a rumor of a sit-down restaurant coming to the Fort. I wonder if that's what this will be.

Thanks for the update @bama_ed

I the size of the building and a lift station right next to it sure point to something more than a replacement for Mickey's Backyard BBQ. I doubt it would be finished and open by our November DIS Meet, but they may be far enough into construction to get a better idea.

j

We're on a visit at Epcot this weekend and spoke to an ex-Trail's End server who mentioned there was a rumor of a sit-down restaurant coming to the Fort. I wonder if that's what this will be.

Thanks for the update @bama_ed

Very well could be - it is obviously a very central location for such a facility.

I’ve been searching here to see what everyone thought about the permit on the 5500sq ft bldg. This is the only thread I’ve seen it brought up.

When we were there in February there were a lot of stakes in the food truck area and most of the areas between Pioneer hall, the Settlement store and the marina. I told my wife that my suspicion was the entire area would be changed due to the DVC component being added to the Fort. We were both pretty sure that some big changes were coming.

@bama_ed Just remember "hots on the left, colds on the right and %#@& dont run up hill" and the lift station will make more sense 8-)

On edit, I forgot to add "payday is Friday"

Last edited:
I hope it's not a BBQ restaurant - Disney already has enough of those and the BBQ is available at Trail's End! And if it is, I hope they update what is available in grab and go because 2 BBQ spots is overkill!!

(I live in the South and when I vacation, the last thing I want is BBQ cause I can get it at home!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter