• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mears experiences…

That's just awful. I'm sorry that happened to your family. That must have been so stressful.

It was a mess, and even worse because we have two little kids. My 6 year old realized we were panicked and started crying, thinking we wouldn't be able to get home. I'm still so angry over the whole thing. And it's a bummer because I've used them before, had planned to use them again. But we'll be booking with Sunshine Flyer next time, or maybe just a private service. I could have forgiven the late bus (not a big deal, these things happen), and even the bus pulling away....IF customer service had done something to correct the situation. But the rep just kept acting like it was our fault.

Oof, that's tough. Very sorry to hear that happened. Did they get back to you with refund info?

We just had a terrible experience with Mears and I will not use them ever again. I was a repeat customer and was planning to use them on our next trip, but not now. We were there waiting 15 minutes prior to pick-up time, but the bus was 20 minutes late (I even called after 10 minutes to make sure everything was okay - they said they were behind schedule but everything was fine). Bus finally pulled up, and then LEFT WITHOUT US within literally, 2 minutes. I'm not exaggerating. I called Mears immediately and the rep just kept telling me that "if the driver doesn't see you they mark you as a no show and leave." We didn't even have the time to pick up our bags and gather our children before they were just..... GONE. There was no solution offered, the rep didn't say the bus would come back, or they would send someone else, or even apologize. Just kept repeating that the driver marked us as a no show, so they left. I started to get heated and the girl put me on hold without even saying "please hold." I didn't even KNOW I was on hold. And then she just left me there until I realized she wasn't coming back. I hung up, called again, just to be put on endless hold again until we started panicking that we were going to miss our flight. We had to arrange for, and pay for, alternative transportation and are still in the process of getting our money refunded.
“Process of getting our money refunded”
I hope you mean you sent 1 email and they replied the refund is in process. Any pushback from them and you should file a charge complaint with your cc/bank. Also, if they agree to refund and you don’t have your cash within a week of them agreeing to refund you I would file a charge complaint.

Wow...did they say why the bus driver didn't wait more than 2 minutes?

Can I ask which hotel you were at? Where were you when the bus pulled up?

I'm not sure how things go now. I remember waiting for Magical Express and sitting on a bench outside but that was over a decade ago and at Pop Century. Obviously things are so different now.

“Process of getting our money refunded”
I hope you mean you sent 1 email and they replied the refund is in process. Any pushback from them and you should file a charge complaint with your cc/bank. Also, if they agree to refund and you don’t have your cash within a week of them agreeing to refund you I would file a charge complaint.

I sent an email yesterday, and am waiting for a response. I asked for a refund of what we spent for the taxi we paid to get us to the airport, and I'm hoping they'll make it right. Honestly I am almost expecting push back after some reviews I've read from others with similar issues, who were refused a refund. If they won't refund the money, we're planning to take it up with the credit card company.

Wow...did they say why the bus driver didn't wait more than 2 minutes?

Can I ask which hotel you were at? Where were you when the bus pulled up?

I'm not sure how things go now. I remember waiting for Magical Express and sitting on a bench outside but that was over a decade ago and at Pop Century. Obviously things are so different now.

Their explanation was that the "driver didn't see us so they marked us as a no show and left." The implication was that we weren't where we should have been.

We were at the Grand Floridian, and waited right out front of the hotel lobby by bell services. I watched the bus pull up (which was plastered with Disney Cruise Line logo, so if I hadn't known to look for the vehicle number I'd never even have thought that bus was meant for us). There were also LOTS of people around, any one of those people could have been the intended passengers.... It's not like they pulled up and the place was deserted so they assumed no one was there. When the bus started to pull away, I assumed he was moving up or something, it didn't cross my mind they were actually LEAVING. They barely stopped! My husband even ran after the bus trying to flag it down, but they were gone.

That is really horrible. I'm so sorry. We're still trying to figure out how we'll get to/from the airport in January and Mears was at the top of the list but now..........

That is really horrible. I'm so sorry. We're still trying to figure out how we'll get to/from the airport in January and Mears was at the top of the list but now..........

I really would encourage you to look elsewhere. In general I don't like to talk down businesses - I don't like getting people in trouble, or jeopardizing their jobs or hurting a small business owner in our crappy economy. Our Mears transfer TO the resort was already a little rocky (took 2.5 hours to get there and we were the first stop! - we waited at two separate gates at the airport for passengers to board) but I wouldn't have made a big deal over that. I knew it's a shared ride, so whatever. I also wouldn't have made a big deal out of the bus being late upon pickup - things happen, and it's not like they can control traffic. We've also used Mears before without any real issue so I was apt to just chalk it up to a one-off and book with them again next time.

But leaving customers stranded and then blaming them, offering zero solution or assistance, and then literally just hanging up on me.... it's just inexcusable. My family was panicked, I had little kids depending on me, and the company I'd trusted to get us all safely home took our money but treated us like dirt. It's not about panning a business, but about feeling like I couldn't TRUST them to deliver the service they promised. I'd hate to see another family go through what we did (it was a really stressful way to end an otherwise wonderful vacation), and a quick google search was all it took to find dozens of reviewers with experiences similar to ours. Doesn't see like this was a one-off.

I sent an email yesterday, and am waiting for a response. I asked for a refund of what we spent for the taxi we paid to get us to the airport, and I'm hoping they'll make it right. Honestly I am almost expecting push back after some reviews I've read from others with similar issues, who were refused a refund. If they won't refund the money, we're planning to take it up with the credit card company.
Wait, what? That’s compensation, not a refund. I thought you meant Mears charged you for the bus you didn’t get. For a Mears bus charge you have a case against the merchant for failure to render services. For the charge to the taxi company the cc/ bank cannot help you. You told a taxi to take you to the airport and they rendered the agreed services, filing a chargeback on that would be fraud.

We were at the Grand Floridian, and waited right out front of the hotel lobby by bell services.
Don’t the buses pick up at the island across the way from bell services? If the bus pulled up to the island and you were by bell services I can see how you got missed. Sucks they didn’t wait a couple minutes but it definitely could have been an honest mistake on the drivers part.

We just had a terrible experience with Mears and I will not use them ever again. I was a repeat customer and was planning to use them on our next trip, but not now. We were there waiting 15 minutes prior to pick-up time, but the bus was 20 minutes late (I even called after 10 minutes to make sure everything was okay - they said they were behind schedule but everything was fine). Bus finally pulled up, and then LEFT WITHOUT US within literally, 2 minutes. I'm not exaggerating. I called Mears immediately and the rep just kept telling me that "if the driver doesn't see you they mark you as a no show and leave." We didn't even have the time to pick up our bags and gather our children before they were just..... GONE. There was no solution offered, the rep didn't say the bus would come back, or they would send someone else, or even apologize. Just kept repeating that the driver marked us as a no show, so they left. I started to get heated and the girl put me on hold without even saying "please hold." I didn't even KNOW I was on hold. And then she just left me there until I realized she wasn't coming back. I hung up, called again, just to be put on endless hold again until we started panicking that we were going to miss our flight. We had to arrange for, and pay for, alternative transportation and are still in the process of getting our money refunded.
Well, they are not accredited by the Better Business Bureau so you can’t file a BBB complaint

Wait, what? That’s compensation, not a refund. I thought you meant Mears charged you for the bus you didn’t get. For a Mears bus charge you have a case against the merchant for failure to render services. For the charge to the taxi company the cc/ bank cannot help you. You told a taxi to take you to the airport and they rendered the agreed services, filing a chargeback on that would be fraud.

They did charge us for a bus we didn't get. I booked it three months ahead of time for the round trip, but the bus I booked for return left without us, meaning the service was not rendered.

The taxi we wound up taking was a Mears taxi - since they are the same company I am asking them for a refund for the taxi. I figure one way or the other, our return to the airport was through Mears... I always obviously intended to pay for the return that I booked ahead of time. I'm not asking for a refund for that. What I'm asking for is the refund for the Mears taxi, as we booked and paid for a less expensive option originally, did not receive the service we paid for, AND had to pay more than we intended due to their error. Essentially I want the difference between what I paid for originally, and what I paid them total after having to use the Mears van to get back. If they won't refund the taxi, I'll contact my credit card about the original charge, since they took payment for a service they did not deliver.

Last edited:
Don’t the buses pick up at the island across the way from bell services? If the bus pulled up to the island and you were by bell services I can see how you got missed. Sucks they didn’t wait a couple minutes but it definitely could have been an honest mistake on the drivers part.

I'd never taken Mears from GF before, so I had no idea where exactly the bus would pull up. Also, at no point did they tell us we needed to be on that island or we'd be left behind.

I could understand an honest mistake on the driver's part, but they legitimately gave us no time. If customer service would have said okay, the bus is coming back for you, or we're sending someone out, I would consider the situation rectified. But I called Mears IMMEDIATELY and they basically were like, too bad, and then then disconnected me. I'm more upset with customer service than I am with the driver.

I'd never taken Mears from GF before, so I had no idea where exactly the bus would pull up. Also, at no point did they tell us we needed to be on that island or we'd be left behind.

I could understand an honest mistake on the driver's part, but they legitimately gave us no time. If customer service would have said okay, the bus is coming back for you, or we're sending someone out, I would consider the situation rectified. But I called Mears IMMEDIATELY and they basically were like, too bad, and then then disconnected me. I'm more upset with customer service than I am with the driver.
My last stay (got home about 2 weeks ago) was at AKL. I asked outside at bell services where I was supposed to go for the Mears bus, since Mears didn't give me any info about the pickup location and I haven't used Mears from AKL in a long time.

At AKL, the Mears stop is NOT at the front entrance. You have to walk across the road in front of the entrance to a smaller area--down a few steps and of course there's a ramp so you don't have to drag your suitcase down the stairs--where the bus stops. There's a bench there. The bus pulls up in front of the bench. If one is standing at AKL's front entrance, the bus driver would never see you.

I haven't used Mears from GF, so I don't know what it's like there, but is it possible they have a similar not-right-out-front location for the pickup?

OP, I hope you get satisfaction from Mears. I've found them very easy to deal with. For example, I had this recent trip booked before they announced a discount. I emailed them about it and they gave me the discount, crediting my card. No questions asked. Likewise, I switched resorts this trip, emailed them with the new info, and they immediately emailed me back with the new info. Please let us know how things turn out.

We've used Mears at least 3 or 4 times since the change from MDE and have had on time service with zero glitches. It is super unfortunate that some other posters have not had that experience, but we have had no issues. Even got update texts when the shuttle arrived to AKL last time we were leaving there. (For some reason, maybe because it was super early, they had us in a smaller van by ourselves and not the big bus-- we had not paid the premium for private transportation.)

I really would encourage you to look elsewhere. In general I don't like to talk down businesses - I don't like getting people in trouble, or jeopardizing their jobs or hurting a small business owner in our crappy economy. Our Mears transfer TO the resort was already a little rocky (took 2.5 hours to get there and we were the first stop! - we waited at two separate gates at the airport for passengers to board) but I wouldn't have made a big deal over that. I knew it's a shared ride, so whatever. I also wouldn't have made a big deal out of the bus being late upon pickup - things happen, and it's not like they can control traffic. We've also used Mears before without any real issue so I was apt to just chalk it up to a one-off and book with them again next time.

But leaving customers stranded and then blaming them, offering zero solution or assistance, and then literally just hanging up on me.... it's just inexcusable. My family was panicked, I had little kids depending on me, and the company I'd trusted to get us all safely home took our money but treated us like dirt. It's not about panning a business, but about feeling like I couldn't TRUST them to deliver the service they promised. I'd hate to see another family go through what we did (it was a really stressful way to end an otherwise wonderful vacation), and a quick google search was all it took to find dozens of reviewers with experiences similar to ours. Doesn't see like this was a one-off.

Yikes. Is 2.5 hours normal?? I don't recall it ever taking that long on Magical Express.

I'm really nervous about the transportation options for our family. Lately our son, who is autistic, will not get into any car other than our own. Wouldn't even get in my parents car with his regular car seat recently. He literally ran away screaming (would be very unsafe at an airport.) So we think a bus is probably our best choice. And it looks like Mears and Sunshine Flyer are the only bus options. We could rent a car but from looking at it, that might be upwards for $500+....yikes.

Yikes. Is 2.5 hours normal?? I don't recall it ever taking that long on Magical Express.

I'm really nervous about the transportation options for our family. Lately our son, who is autistic, will not get into any car other than our own. Wouldn't even get in my parents car with his regular car seat recently. He literally ran away screaming (would be very unsafe at an airport.) So we think a bus is probably our best choice. And it looks like Mears and Sunshine Flyer are the only bus options. We could rent a car but from looking at it, that might be upwards for $500+....yikes.

I'm honestly not sure. Our last trip we also used Mears but I really don't think it took as long as it did this time. This was the first time that we boarded the bus, waited, then drove to another gate to board more passengers. I'm not sure if this is the norm now, or if we just happened to experience a one-off.

Our last trip December 2022, we took Mears Private Car. It was on time, met us at baggage claim, direct to YC, and picked us up at YC for the return to MCO. The communication on the pickup was good but not so good on the return however we were waiting outside at pickup so all was good. I thought the return car was a little dirty not the pickup car from MCO. Next trip in October we are going to use the Minnie Van service. I do have a rental car reservation on file but it will be a waste for money since we don't go anywhere. Sorry for all your trouble.

We used Sunshine Flyer last week for our return trip to the airport. We stayed at BWV. Our flight was at 5:30 pm and our pick-up time was at 1:30. And we were the last pickup before leaving for the airport. Thats 4 hours early. I am one to always give myself plenty of time to get to the airport but 4 hours is way too much time. But, they were on-time and very pleasant.

We used Mears Connect about a year ago while staying at BLT and they never showed up for our return trip. The staff at the front desk said they had also not shown up for a family earlier in the day. I think we are just going to take Uber/Lyft in the future.

Magical Express could very well take that long at times depending on whether or not the bus was there already or you had to wait, what resort you were staying at, how many resorts were being dropped off on the trip and the drop off order, etc. That’s not even considering traffic. Beach Club took forever to get to when I went in 2019.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter