• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Measuring heights for rides

When measuring your children at home, should you measure with their shoes on? I figure yes, since they will be wearing shoes in the park. But do you think the Disney measuring sticks are an inch higher to accommodate shoes? I just measured my 5 year old in shoes, and he measured 44 3/4 inches, so I'm hoping he'll be able to do the 44 inch rides (flight of passage, expedition everest, space mountain) if he wants to. I realize it's close, and he might not be able to. But I wonder if I should get him an ILL for Flight of Passage. Thanks.

The height is with shoes on, the key part is they can't duck under the bar, they need to let the bar hit their head.

Its with shoes, and no not a taller stick. The first time we went YDD was 39.5" with shoes on. She missed all the 40" ride by a tiny itty bitty smidge ( probably half an inch- ha!). My girls are super tiny, so they had to wait to ride bigger rides. You can always check your kids shoe soles. Some are thinner, and some thicker, if you are worried about height, use a thicker soled shoe.

Because of the tragedy of the teen falling out if ride; parks are getting VERY strict with size, weight, height.
All attractions in Orlando are under a microscope . There will be no more fudging so guest can ride attraction.

the key part is they can't duck under the bar, they need to let the bar hit their head.
This! Teach him to stand up super tall and straight. If you can put a ruler or something up above his head that would be good -- teach him to try and bump his head.

Because of the tragedy of the teen falling out if ride; parks are getting VERY strict with size, weight, height.
All attractions in Orlando are under a microscope . There will be no more fudging so guest can ride attraction.
Yes! The attractions that have a height requirement do so because the ride is not built to safely restrain a person under that measurement. The CM's are not trying to be mean or "ruin my child's vacation because we came all the way from XXX to specifically ride this ride". It is for the person's safety, and sometimes it is not only children who do not meet the height requirement. Same reason Disney does not allow seat belt extenders, especially those brought by Guests. Safety. It's why it is the first Key, because it is the most important. And don't stuff a child's shoes with paper towels, it won't work. The CM's who work a height restricted attraction have seen and heard it all.

I'm definitely not planning on trying to cheat the measurement system, I just want to know what to expect.

Also today at the doctor he measured 42.25 inches without shoes, so he might be a little short even with his shoes. But he told me he doesn't actually want to ride Space Mountain and Expedition Everest, just Flight of Passage. So it might not be a big deal if he isn't considered tall enough.

I'm definitely not planning on trying to cheat the measurement system, I just want to know what to expect.

Also today at the doctor he measured 42.25 inches without shoes, so he might be a little short even with his shoes. But he told me he doesn't actually want to ride Space Mountain and Expedition Everest, just Flight of Passage. So it might not be a big deal if he isn't considered tall enough.
He’s tall enough to ride everything in all the parks. I think 40 inches is the tallest height requirements.

It's confusing, I once wrote a blog post that grouped all the rides together with heights since you couldn't really find the information on Disney's site at the time in any way that was easy to remember!

The "try to hit your head" thing helped my 3 year old twins. NOT cheating the system (1 was tall enough for Slinky and 1 wasn't), but it just helped them not to be scared or duck down.

a tip i read here a long time ago which proved true...have them ride early in the day if they just make it.. apparently spine compresses through]out the day, only about a centimeter but it prevented my little munchkin from a second ride later on in the day after being tall enough in the morning

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter