Meatless Appetizers - Recipes?

L107ANGEL

<font color=purple>Tipsy Pioneer (Committed PUI)<b
Help please!

I need some ideas from the creative ones here please.

We are hosting Christmas Eve and most abstain from meat.

I do the usual shrimp, cheese and cracker, desserts every year.

Any ideas on other dishes I can serve?

Thanks in advance!!:sunny:

As far as a meatless appetizer, spinach dip is always a favorite with my family.

INGREDIENTS
1 box (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, cooked, cooled and squeezed dry
1 container (16 oz.) sour cream
1 cup Mayonnaise
1 package Vegetable recipe mix
1 can (8 oz.) water chestnuts, drained and chopped (optional)
3 green onions, chopped (optional)
DIRECTIONS
Combine all ingredients and chill about 2 hours.

I buy a loaf of Kings Hawaiian bread and hollow out the center to make a bowl, then I pour in the spinach dip. After chilling it for several hours or overnight, I serve it with Hawaiian bread and crackers. When I make it, I always double the recipe for large gatherings.

I just had a christmas party last night and we have a lot of dietary restrictions (gluten, dairy, and egg allergies!) to remember, so I had 2 choices for appetizers:

1. cheese board (for those who can eat cheese) - "fancy" selections from the cheaper-cheese-purchasing-place Trader Joes, along with apricot preserves, grapes, and gluten free crackers

2. Frozen bag of shoepeg (white) corn, 2 cans of black beans, one diced red bell pepper, one diced red onion. Mix well and then add olive oil and balsamic vinegar to coat all contents generously. Salt to taste (or not at all if you serve with chips that are salted).

both were hits!

You can make as much or as little as you like

Mushrooms small ones, if you can't get the small ones then slice them in half put them 'in a ziplock with olive oil garlic balsamic vinegar and italian herbs put in the fridge and every once ina while shake the bag. Marinate overnight before serving drain and serve in a bowl.

Zuccini pie

4 large zucchini
3 cups of bisquick
1 teaspoon season salt
4 eggs
1/2 oil
half cup finely chopped onions
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped

leave the skin on the zuccini and thinly slice rounds the easiest way to do this is to use a vegtable peeler
mix all the ingridients in a bowl put into a pan and bake at 375 for about 45 minutes or until you stick a toothpick into it and it comes out clean.

Can be served warm or cold

This is a huge hit at every party I've ever been too!

Brie Bites

In mini phyllo cups, layer chopped gingerbread cookie crumbs, a spoonful of pepper jelly, and a slice of brie cheese. Bake at 325 for 8 - 10 minutes. These are addicting and so pretty. The jewel tones of the pepper jelly really make them look Christmasy, and they're so easy.

Hot corn dip. Sounds weird but OMG it's so good. I've had this recipe on my Pinterest boards for over a year now but had never made it. Then I was invited to my brother's house for a football game along with a couple other people. It was a HIT!!! Everyone loved it. My brother then "demanded" me to bring it to his house Christmas Eve LOL and my cousin asked if I could bring it to her house this coming Saturday for her Christmas Party. Sounds like a plan to me. It's really, really good. I actually added in cut up rotisserie chicken to make it a bit heartier but the original recipe would work well for you since you need a meatless dish.

http://www.ibelieveicanfry.com/2013/02/hot-corn-dip.html

I really like the old school french onion dip (sour cream and packet of lipton's dry soup mix) with almost anything. Good with veggies or chips

Also goat cheese with honey drizzled over the top and pecans or walnuts then serve with bread rounds

Lasagna sans meat, garlic bread, salad, dips, veggie tray plus the apps and I would guess people would be stuffed. :thumbsup2

We found this recipe a few years ago in a magazine and has been a hit ever since.

1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup Mayo
2 green onions, finely chopped
3 Tbsp. chopped red peppers
Triscuits

Mix all ingredients except Triscuits. Top Triscuits with mixture and microwave for 15-20 seconds until cheese begins to melt. You can also stick them under the broiler.

One of my favorite is white-bean salsa served with tortilla chips. It's very easy and also looks pretty.

-- 1/2 cup or canned white beans (I prefer navy beans. I have also used great northern beans.)
-- 2 roma tomatoes
-- 1/2 a red onion
-- 1 Tbsp olive oil
-- salt to taste (I used a generous pinch)
-- 1 avocado
-- 1/2 lime

Drain and rinse white beans. Measure 1/2 cup white beans into a mixing bowl. De-seed and finely dice the tomatoes and add to bowl. Finely dice onion and add to bowl. Add olive oil and salt and mix all ingredients well. Peel, de-seed, and finely dice the avocado. Add it to the mixing bowl and top with the juice of 1/2 a lime. Gently fold the avocado into the other ingredients. Cover surface with plastic wrap to prevent avocado from browning until ready to serve.

Another option is quiche, but here is one of my favorite entrees for special occasions. It's easy and delicious. My grandmother used to make it with chicken but I modified it perfectly for my vegetarian family. Everyone, omnivore to vegetarian, loves this. (Note: It's not vegan)

Meatless Chicken Loaf

In the vegetarian frozen section (like Morningstar), I buy and thaw the meatless "chicken" unbreaded strips and make this loaf with lemon mushroom gravy. To make the vegetarian stock, I buy the Knorr vegetable soup cubes, but you can also use the prepared vegetable stock.

MEATLESS CHICKEN LOAF
3 cups chopped meatless chicken
1 cup cooked rice - can use brown rice
2 cups fresh bread crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups vegetable broth
4 eggs beaten
1/4 cup chopped pimento
1/4 cup chopped almonds

MUSHROOM SAUCE
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper - less to taste
2 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup cream or half & half
Juice of one lemon
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°

Combine all loaf ingredients adding eggs last in large mixing bowl. pour into a 9X13 pan and bake until firm and lightly golden and set, about 40-45 minutes. Allow to set for five mins before serving.

(You can also serve this as a loaf by pouring it into a greased loaf pan, pressing it down, reducing the heat to 325 and baking it for an hour. You could line the loaf pan with parchment paper to aid in removal. Cool for ten minutes before removing from pan)

MUSHROOM SAUCE PREP
Melt butter in medium saucepan, add mushrooms, cook medium heat until lightly browned. Add flour, mix well and cook for 2 minutes, add broth. Cook until thick and smooth stirring constantly. Add cream, 1/2 of the parsley, lemon juice, and salt & pepper. Keep hot until ready to serve.

Ingredients

7 Large bulbs of garlic (or two 4oz jars of Roasted Garlic from Produce section of grocery store)
1½ Tbsp Olive Oil
1½ Pounds softened cream cheese
½ Pound Feta Cheese
3 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Oregano leaves
1 Pound sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (1½ cups)
1 cup toasted walnuts

Preparation of Ingredients

1. Cut off about the top quarter of each of the garlic bulbs. Sit them on a large sheet of aluminum foil. Drizzle about ½ tsp of olive oil on each. Completely enclose them in the foil and roast in a 450 degree oven for about 45 minutes. (Or drain jars of Roasted Garlic)

2. Crumble the Feta Cheese.

3. Drain the oil from the tomatoes and chop in a food processor. (Note - these are normally found in the produce section in a grocery store.)

4. Chop the walnuts.

Putting it Together

1. After the garlic has cooled, squeeze out the pulp from each clove into a large bowl. Avoid getting any of the skin in the bowl.

2. Add the cream cheese, blending well. Then blend in the feta cheese.

3. Then stir in the oregano, tomatoes, and walnuts.

4. Refrigerate for at least two hours to one day, covered, before serving.

veggie tray, nut bowl, olives, hummus with cut pita and carrots, salsa and chips, mexican dip layered(bean dip spread, sour cream with taco seasonings, guacamole, tomatoes, shredded cheese, chopped olives) and chips. Mashed artichoke, mayo and grated parmesan mixed and cooked with celery for dipping. I could go on all night. I usually only serve one hearty meat dish and the rest are vegetarian although not vegan.

Love all these ideas too!!! I have a really great avocado salsa thing I make I'll have to find and share. It's really different and yummy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter