• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Medal Archive????

1lilspark

DIS Veteran
With all the comments on the marathon thread about past anniversary medals compared to the 30th I was wondering if there was a place that has images of medals from weekends past…

With all the comments on the marathon thread about past anniversary medals compared to the 30th I was wondering if there was a place that has images of medals from weekends past…
I'm not sure, I'm sure you could look up each year. There was a long period of time where the medals were pretty much identical every year for several of the races (marathon weekend half and full, princess half and challenge, tinker bell, and I believe Disneyland half had similar ones for a while too). It wasn't until fairly recently that they started changing them every year (around 2015-2016).
I can't imagine the uproar now if they did that considering some people's responses, but back then it was the norm.

I'm not sure, I'm sure you could look up each year. There was a long period of time where the medals were pretty much identical every year for several of the races (marathon weekend half and full, princess half and challenge, tinker bell, and I believe Disneyland half had similar ones for a while too). It wasn't until fairly recently that they started changing them every year (around 2015-2016).
I can't imagine the uproar now if they did that considering some people's responses, but back then it was the norm.
thanks....I started my rundisney journey at Wine & Dine 2016 so I was curious

@luv2cheer92 is correct about them being very much the same for long periods of time, particularly in the early years. I ran the WDW half for its first 10 years. Here is when the medals changed:

1998 - first year - crappy medal (this from someone who doesn't care about medals)
1999-2001 - same medal with the years only on the ribbons
2002-2003 - same medal with the years on a dangle
2004 thru 2007 - same medal (and same as 1999-2001) with the years on a dangle

IMG_4848.jpg

Here's an example, a lot of the Princess half medals. It seemed to be mostly every 5 years or so that they would change the design, but it was very, very similar year to year between that. Until they started doing different themes every year.
20220901_181537.jpg

They were definitely fancier by 2016. Below are the DL Tinkerbell half (5 year anniversary, you can just see that noted at the top of the medal between the large wings) (Tink herself spins), the WDW Donald half, and the coast to coast challenge medals.
IMG_7507.jpg1662138587298.png

I want to say there’s a site that has a pic of all the marathon medals (another site has diligently archived as many of the race maps as they could) but I can’t find it, google results are swamped with pics of the two most recent race weekend medals now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter