Medical emergency at home while cruising

Thank you all for the responses. Putting it off a few years is definitely on the table at this point.
Please don’t take off the table, the ability to go either. Let’s say worst case scenario you find out on a day where you can’t fly you can always fly the next day what actual statistical chances that bad things happen on the one day that you can’t get there. Statistically, it is not likely that one day that you’re not available is gonna be the day all hell breaks loose.

You need to get insurance and definitely have a passport for everyone.

First off when it comes to the week before you go, you’re gonna know if you shouldn’t be leaving because somebody is on deaths door. You just know.

Secondly, If you wait a couple years, some of that Disney magic for the younger ones will be different. Still fun but maybe not as magical.

Unless that family member is in hospice there’s also a chance this person could go on for another 10 years even in their current condition.

I was terrified my father wasn’t going to make the 2016 cruise to Alaska that I had planned. He has(2003) a liver transplant from cancer, in an out of the hospital back then, last rites given, he was a hot mess. This December I’m taking him on a Christmas cruise at 80 years old. They told us the transplant would only give him an extra five years. So I’m just saying you never know.

Don’t let life pass you by for something that doesn’t even have a date. And can you say that the person whom you’re concerned about would definitely not want you to go on this vacation and put aside your life just because of their possible worse health?

So order the passports, make that reservation, buy that insurance policy in addition to Disney’s because it’s good to have back up.
With your insurance you’ll be able to take that trip later if you need to postpone. You cannot look back and do a darn thing about “I wish I would’ve taken that trip back then. “
Everyone’s getting older. Which includes you and your kids.
And if you go, do me a favor, send me a postcard from castaway cay, so I know I did something good in my life. I really wanna postcard, and any port will do.

Make sure you have current Passports and know what other requirements would be so you are prepared.

My mom traveled extensively well into her late 80's and she had one rule about ANYTHING happening, no matter how bad, while she was away. "DON'T CONTACT ME, EVERYTHING CAN WAIT UNTIL I GET HOME I'M NOT ENDING MY TRIP" And when we took a cruise after she had major health issues and had to move into a Care Home, she made it clear then to us before we left, and to her care home staff that if anything happened to her while were gone, we were NOT to be notified until we got back. Every family is different, but her point was valid. Nothing will change the situation if you finish you trip before coming home.

Make sure you have current Passports and know what other requirements would be so you are prepared.

My mom traveled extensively well into her late 80's and she had one rule about ANYTHING happening, no matter how bad, while she was away. "DON'T CONTACT ME, EVERYTHING CAN WAIT UNTIL I GET HOME I'M NOT ENDING MY TRIP" And when we took a cruise after she had major health issues and had to move into a Care Home, she made it clear then to us before we left, and to her care home staff that if anything happened to her while were gone, we were NOT to be notified until we got back. Every family is different, but her point was valid. Nothing will change the situation if you finish you trip before coming home.
I like your point but it really does depend on that family and relationship.

If I was on a trip and something happened to me someone better tell my husband (and I do have several friends who do a lot of their travel without their spouse).

Another point is people who need to legally know in the event of an incident. For example my husband is the executor (and the paperwork is filed and we now have a copy) of his mom and step-dad's estate. If we're on vacation it's not going to matter about truly not wanting to disrupt our vacation but rather there may be things we legally need to deal with that can't wait never mind the grief we have.

Also while not stated for the OP and probably unlikely some people take long cruises. The people on the Seabourn FB pages I'm on (where the age group skews high enough) these people take very long cruises as in 50,100,140 day cruises. Even a 14 to 21 day cruise that's a long time to be in the dark about something.

Some things like if someone passes away directives about what to do with the body are time sensitive as are paperwork.

If I was on a trip and something happened to me someone better tell my husband (and I do have several friends who do a lot of their travel without their spouse).

Another point is people who need to legally know in the event of an incident. For example my husband is the executor (and the paperwork is filed and we now have a copy) of his mom and step-dad's estate. If we're on vacation it's not going to matter about truly not wanting to disrupt our vacation but rather there may be things we legally need to deal with that can't wait never mind the grief we have.

Also while not stated for the OP and probably unlikely some people take long cruises. The people on the Seabourn FB pages I'm on (where the age group skews high enough) these people take very long cruises as in 50,100,140 day cruises. Even a 14 to 21 day cruise that's a long time to be in the dark about something.

Some things like if someone passes away directives about what to do with the body are time sensitive as are paperwork.
I learned a lot in the time my mom was in a Care Home about directives and such. There was a 98 year old lady in her care home who ended up in legal limbo. There was an incident that required decisions from her children and the Care Home learned they had both just passed away from old age. There was nobody left to be responsible for decisions so they were trying to sort out who needed to take action to get a court appointed guardian. So even the best laid plans fail.

I learned a lot in the time my mom was in a Care Home about directives and such. There was a 98 year old lady in her care home who ended up in legal limbo. There was an incident that required decisions from her children and the Care Home learned they had both just passed away from old age. There was nobody left to be responsible for decisions so they were trying to sort out who needed to take action to get a court appointed guardian. So even the best laid plans fail.
Yeah certainly just making the point that not being told while away isn't the best plan either depending on the circumstances. And I'm talking about your normal circumstances not what is probably an outlier where everyone is dead, I'm talking about when you have reasons for needing to know.

My grandparents are in the 90s (my grandpa, who has dementia) and 80s (my grandma, who has had multiple cancer diagnoses over the last few years, all thankfully caught early enough that they could be addressed surgically). My Aunt and Uncle have regularly taken my Grandma on major trips (Italy and Hawaii/Aulani last summer, a Wish B2B and Costa Rica are planned for this summer), with the understanding that if something happens to my grandpa (up to and including him passing away) while they are gone, they will not be interrupting their trip to return home.

While this ability heavily rests upon the fact that, when they/my grandma are gone, my grandparents still have three other kids who can step in, it is also a reflection of the fact that my Grandpa is at a stage in life where he could pass away today or he could live for another year or more. So, while I understand the concern about taking a trip that is difficult to cut short if you don't have anyone to step in, if you do have someone who can step in until the end of your trip, I think that these sorts of getaways can be incredibly healthy when dealing with the stresses of ongoing elder care.

Since you're asking about this summer and you don't seem to have anything yet booked, my answer would be to plan something else that can more easily be adjusted if necessary.

Alternately, maybe just plan a short cruise where you could finish it out if something were to happen. But I think it would make more sense to go with a normal sort of trip that is easier to cancel or leave if necessary.

Trip insurance is a must also helicopters can't land for med evacs on any of the DCL ships that I've seen on the Magic and Fantasy.

Actually I was on that Magic transatlantic too last year that evac to the Azores in September.

Please don’t take off the table, the ability to go either. Let’s say worst case scenario you find out on a day where you can’t fly you can always fly the next day what actual statistical chances that bad things happen on the one day that you can’t get there. Statistically, it is not likely that one day that you’re not available is gonna be the day all hell breaks loose.

You need to get insurance and definitely have a passport for everyone.

First off when it comes to the week before you go, you’re gonna know if you shouldn’t be leaving because somebody is on deaths door. You just know.

Secondly, If you wait a couple years, some of that Disney magic for the younger ones will be different. Still fun but maybe not as magical.

Unless that family member is in hospice there’s also a chance this person could go on for another 10 years even in their current condition.

I was terrified my father wasn’t going to make the 2016 cruise to Alaska that I had planned. He has(2003) a liver transplant from cancer, in an out of the hospital back then, last rites given, he was a hot mess. This December I’m taking him on a Christmas cruise at 80 years old. They told us the transplant would only give him an extra five years. So I’m just saying you never know.

Don’t let life pass you by for something that doesn’t even have a date. And can you say that the person whom you’re concerned about would definitely not want you to go on this vacation and put aside your life just because of their possible worse health?

So order the passports, make that reservation, buy that insurance policy in addition to Disney’s because it’s good to have back up.
With your insurance you’ll be able to take that trip later if you need to postpone. You cannot look back and do a darn thing about “I wish I would’ve taken that trip back then. “
Everyone’s getting older. Which includes you and your kids.
And if you go, do me a favor, send me a postcard from castaway cay, so I know I did something good in my life. I really wanna postcard, and any port will do.
Trying not to. It has been a chaotic few years, and we've had several trips interrupted already. Seriously debating taking cruise funds and buying AP's because we can always get home the next day, at the latest.

Trying not to. It has been a chaotic few years, and we've had several trips interrupted already. Seriously debating taking cruise funds and buying AP's because we can always get home the next day, at the latest.
Something I'd also consider is your peace of mind. Will you enjoy your cruise if you go or will you constantly be worried and trying to check in. If you're constantly worried I'd opt to do a land vacation instead. Depending on where you live you could be home in a matter of hours versus on a cruise ship it would likely be days before you could get home.

Good evening all!
We are looking to go on a cruise this summer; tjis will be our second one!
What is the procedure/ what are options if we need to leave while on a cruise?
My in laws are elderly and not in the best health and I want to plan as best as I can.
I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I couldn’t find anything.
I got off a cruise in San Juan when I was notified my mom had a massive stroke. She lived 6 years after that and I cruised many times during that period. I won't say it wasn't in the back of my mind each time, but you can't stop living.

Make sure your family knows you're only going to be reachable by email. I always bought Wi-Fi onboard. I never had to leave the ship. I tend to just deal with stuff as it happens and not worry about the what-if.

Do you have other family members that can deal with an emergency?

I got off a cruise in San Juan when I was notified my mom had a massive stroke. She lived 6 years after that and I cruised many times during that period. I won't say it wasn't in the back of my mind each time, but you can't stop living.

Make sure your family knows you're only going to be reachable by email. I always bought Wi-Fi onboard. I never had to leave the ship. I tend to just deal with stuff as it happens and not worry about the what-if.

Do you have other family members that can deal with an emergency?
We do, but it will weigh on our minds if something happens.

I have seen too many people wait until everything was in place, or the right time to retire or travel or just be happy. But the perfect circumstances never happen and when they realize its too late for them.
In emergency situations a lot can be done by internet and phone. At least enough can be put into place temporarily until you get home. Families are spread out across the country thus long distant emergency decisions and arrangements are made all the time.

Such arrangements as you mention can be made ahead of time. So some decisions people worry about aren't really "emergencies " or as time sensitive as imagined. But it does take some planning.

I have seen too many people wait until everything was in place, or the right time to retire or travel or just be happy. But the perfect circumstances never happen and when they realize its too late for them.
In emergency situations a lot can be done by internet and phone. At least enough can be put into place temporarily until you get home. Families are spread out across the country thus long distant emergency decisions and arrangements are made all the time.
Honestly, my mom and my father-in-law would not have wanted us to put our life and our children's life on hold because of their illnesses. I would not want my kids to do that for me.

Like you said with technology you are never far away. I have face timed many times with doctors and caregivers. The chance of something happening that one week out of the year is very small. Circumstances are hardly ever perfect there is always something.

Such arrangements as you mention can be made ahead of time. So some decisions people worry about aren't really "emergencies " or as time sensitive as imagined. But it does take some planning.
They should always be planned ahead of time (like with having my 33 yr old husband already as an Executor of his mid-60s and upper 60s parents) but that is also assuming legally someone else is able to take over the duties needed.

We're not talking about what aunt Susie wants at her funeral for flowers. What I'm talking about is the idea of never being contacted when away on vacation because you don't want it to be disrupted. Certainly if someone dies someone dies you can't change that, but it doesn't mean that there wouldn't still be obligations one may have such that you can simply stay in the dark because you don't want your vacation to be disrupted. And if you're one or two days away from being home that's very different than being at the beginning of a 14 day trip.

I wouldn't want to speak for others but I think there's a difference between hypothetical thinking and then truly thinking about what would you do and want should something happen. If it's your second cousin once removed or a distant uncle vs the person you've been caring for for an extended period of time or your parent or sibling things may be different. Only the OP truly knows how their family's situation is with what medical concerns may exist.

Like you said with technology you are never far away.
Yeah but the OP is talking about a cruise which changes things. Wifi is pretty normal these days but wifi only goes so far with a ship out on the ocean.

In a few months we'll be in Italy, Montenegro, Croatia and Greece as well as airports (so not really concerned there) in France and England, in the ports I'm not entirely certain what coverage we'll have TBH and we'll need to review with our cell carriers what options we have. From what I understand the ship we'll be on the wifi is adequate but every so often people have found issues, it's still a ship in the middle of waters.

You can buy wifi on the plane but we just flew back from Cancun last week and the plane we were on the wifi wasn't working (it had been on and off all day as advised by the FAs and for our leg which was the last of the night it was not working at all).

In Mexico both my husband and I were roaming and I tended to have better coverage (with T-Mobile) than he did but near Chichen Itza it was more or less a dead zone for a bit. We did have wifi at the resort and it worked pretty well with the exception of a few places where it was unable to get out text messaging for me (inside one of the restaurants for example) as well as my phone only had Emergency Only signal in another restaurant and the wifi not strong enough at that spot. Also in Mexico my husband's family found out that with Verizon it was not automatically adding the +1 for international calling and messaging and therefore they were not getting any calls OR texts receiving or sending until they figured that out. If they connected to wifi they could at least facetime/FB message call.

In Puerto Rico in January I had full signal but my husband struggled more for his (Verizon), there was only 1 dead spot where both of us lost signal driving back at night to our hotel.

All to say tech is there but tech does not mean connection to back home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter