Medical help near WDW?

liznboys

DIS Veteran
Is there a walk-in clinic near WDW? And where is the nearest hospital/ER? And finally, where is the closest pharmacy? We have 3 young sons, one of whom has asthma and allergies, and I'd like to have some basic info. on hand, just in case.

Thank you!

Celebration Hospital is right outside the gates, I think on the right if you are heading toward I-4. And then the walgreens is on the left right past that. There is also an Eckerds not to far in the other direction.

If you use a pharmacy close to your home that has a branch in the WDW area, I'd suggest using them. They can transfer your prescriptions temporarily to that location (it worked really slick when I needed a prescription from Target - they even took care of getting a "vacation override" from my insurance).
The hotels have a list of doctors that you can get from the desk. It includes walk in clinics, hospitals and even a doctor's service that does house calls to hotel rooms.

We used the Centra-Care(I think that's the name) Walk-in clinic. They provided free shuttle service to and from the resorts. Also there is a pharmacy adjacent to the clinic.

The centra care walk in clinic is on 535, near Hotel Plaza Blvd. There is also an CVS/Eckerd on 535 in the same direction as the Centra Care clinic, and a Walgreens on 535 in the other direction.

If you get the exact names of these hospitals/clinics then you should be able to call your insurance company to see if they are covered in your "network".

I always assumed the any emergency trip was covered by insurance but I learned years back when taking an infant with a 106+ fever to an ER that all hospitals are not covered!

My experience was that it went under major medical first since it was an out of network hospital and I had to pay my maj med deductible before any insurance would kick in.

I now try to find offices/hospitals that are covered before I go out of town so that I am not in a pickle if we need to see a doctor.

LMC said:
If you get the exact names of these hospitals/clinics then you should be able to call your insurance company to see if they are covered in your "network".
Good suggestion. I've got a suggestion that kind of builds on that. If you insurance company has a website, you should be able to find out from the website what hospitals/ clinics are part of their network. Many insurance websites have a search function that allows you to put in an address and the type of care you are looking for. Then it makes a list of the in-network places close to that address for that type of care. Sometimes the list will even be organized by distance and have links to maps. That way, you would have all the information you need before you go.
LMC said:
I always assumed the any emergency trip was covered by insurance but I learned years back when taking an infant with a 106+ fever to an ER that all hospitals are not covered!

My experience was that it went under major medical first since it was an out of network hospital and I had to pay my maj med deductible before any insurance would kick in.
They should cover it the same as they would if it was an in-network hospital if the child needed care (but it may take 2 or 3 denials and re-submissions to get that). The insurance companies bank on the fact that most people don't re-submit a claim at all if it's denied the first time. And, each time it's denied, less re-submit. Most insurance has a "reasonable person" type clause about seeking care. They may say a reasonable person would have taken the child to a doctor, but not necessarily the ER. I think most reasonable people would take an infant with a 106+ fever to the ER (and if you called a doctor first and were told to take them to the ER, that's more evidence).

I will have to try locating a facility on the web. I tried earlier this month via phone while were were at WDW and the people on the other end of the phone were useless. They wanted an address, zip code, etc and I'm in probably the biggest vacation destination in the US and they couldn't find me a facility w/o the above mentioned information. I was so frustrated! If I lived at WDW then I guess I would have been able to provide what they wanted; however, we were in a park and I had no information available.

Great suggestion! I'll make sure I take care of this before our May trip.

I had the occasion to use Celebration's ER with my then 2 year old. He had a double ear infection.

The care was top notch, the bill was much lower than expected and overall, the complaint I had is the same I've had at any ER-was there 5 hours.

Suzanne

I have used pretty much all the medical options, and found that Centra-care and the doctors that come to your room do not accept health insurance, so make sure you have a usable credit card. At least they did not accept Blue Cross-Blue Shield. Sand Lake Hospital did not take my insurance card, either, but this was about 10 years ago. Celebration Hospital is new, I don't know about them. If you use a Walgreen's at home, you can get your medicine wherever you are, and it's covered by your insurance. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter