Medical power of attorney

manning

Just for that I have requested it
We are planning to bring two great nieces, ages 8 and 10, (They're great too) to Disney next year. The parents won't be along. Do we need to get medical power of attorneys in case of an emergency?

Which DVC resort do you think they will enjoy?

I am not sure you would need more than a letter from the parents , dated that said you are authorized to approve medical care. Thats what my parents used to do, I am not sure if times have changed.

I think they would like BC or BW, maybe because they are my favorites!!

The best is to call your local ER and see what they would want included on such a letter. We leave one at my mom's and my DMIL whenever we leave the kids. The first time we went on a trip without our kids, our son (10 at the time) crashed his little dirt bike and broke his arm. My mom took him and the letter to the ER, and the receptionist laughed and said "These parents sure know their kids!" We had hoped no one would need the letter.......The receptionist said the letter saved so much time and work.

You should definitely have a letter stating medical consent, signed and dated by the parents, (don't forget to include any special medical conditions on the letter) and a copy of their insurance. Chance are you will not even need it, but why take the chance!

Have a great tirp!

A letter signed by both parents will work just fine. We had au pairs for years and the agency would include a form letter in our packet for us to sign in case of a medical emergency. I would also take a copy of the insurance card, front and back.

Also be sure to find out if the kids are current on all of their shots. Seems to be the first question I get asked at the urgent care center when I take my dds.

I personally would use a Medical Power of Attorney. You can find a sample on the internet and retype it for your nieces. No cost to you and only about 10 min. of work. Also most banks will noterize for thier customers for free, so no cost there either. That way you have a legal document that is noterized and no one can argue with you. Be sure to have the girls insurance card with you also.

On which resort, get the girls involved. Show them pics of each resort, and let them have a 1st and 2nd choice. All Dis resorts are kid friendly

Hope you have a magical trip!!!

We have done the letter for my parents who watched our son while we were out of the country. But we did get it notarized.

Just returned from a long weekend. I posed the question to the kids' mother, who is a nurse, and she said one is not necessary. The hospital/doctors have to treat them if needed. Is this right? Actually we baby sat them this weekend and they have a two story fort with an open side. We were afraid they would fall out. The parents were five or six states away.

I do think a simple letter signed by the parents and with pertinent medical information and insurance information is all you really need. I would not want to go without it though.

As to where to stay... I too like the idea of letting the kids help in that choice. We have always had a great time with groups that included children at OKW, because they had lots of variety and because they got so much space to themselves. VWL would be nice to be so near MK, and BCV would be best if they wnat the best pool experience.

We've vacationed with our neices as well...even outside the country. We get a letter from their parents stating we can make medical decisions for them. We feel more comfortable this way. From my perspective - I'd rather have something I don't need than not have something I do need.

By the way, the vacations we've had with our neices have been among the best we've had. Have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter