Medical providers seeing COVID in PPE then cruising

coloradocutie

DIS Veteran
Has any one in the medical field taken care of Covid positive patients within 14 days of the cruise, While in full PPE, and then been able to cruise? Does DCL consider it an “exposure” if you in full PPE?

Last edited:

Another thing to consider in terms of exposure is time. A 5 minute interaction isn't typically considered an official exposure, for example.

At the hospital where I work, exposure is defined as in close contact for 15 minutes or more without proper PPE. Appropriate mask for a contact with a known positive is a N95 mask or respirator. All other employees must wear a surgical/procedure (ASTM 2 or 3) mask at all time as we have an indoor mask mandate.

I don’t think hospitals will be changing their exposure time policies. However, some studies are showing it’s significantly lower for omicron:( I would follow what your hospital says though.

Same with us. We got off the 12/26 Fantasy yesterday. My husband is an anesthesiologist who deals with Covid patients daily since the pandemic started (he hasn’t had Covid yet). I contacted DCL prior and asked this exact question. They said was fine to sail and answer no to the question.

Sounds like a question for DCL, not random people on a forum.

I love that people can come to this forum and ask anything. I think most people understand that the answers provided here are not necessarily "official". But I don't think questions should be off-limits. There's a wealth of information here from people who have researched, already asked DCL, etc.

Has any one in the medical field taken care of Covid positive patients within 14 days of the cruise, While in full PPE, and then been able to cruise? Does DCL consider it an “exposure” if you in full PPE?

I work in a hospital and if you are vaccinated and wearing PPE you are not considered "exposed" at our institution. Good luck!

My wife is an infectious disease physician, and we faced this specific situation before sailing two weeks ago. As long as you're in full PPE, it does not count as exposure.
This makes the most sense otherwise working in a hospital setting you would never be able to take a vacation.

I love that people can come to this forum and ask anything. I think most people understand that the answers provided here are not necessarily "official". But I don't think questions should be off-limits. There's a wealth of information here from people who have researched, already asked DCL, etc.

I agree. But by the same token those asking and answering the questions should be aware that anything posted here is not the official word. Some people might take it as such. I've seen threads on other social media sites of people asking things that only Disney/DCL could possibly know, seriously expecting someone to respond with the actual answer. So, while it's great to ask questions here and get information, it's also good for everyone to remember that nothing posted here is DCL gospel (and as we've seen on other threads, one person's experience with an issue also doesn't guarantee that's how DCL would handle the same situation again).

Same with us. We got off the 12/26 Fantasy yesterday. My husband is an anesthesiologist who deals with Covid patients daily since the pandemic started (he hasn’t had Covid yet). I contacted DCL prior and asked this exact question. They said was fine to sail and answer no to the question.
Thank you! This is great information. Hope y’all had a magical cruise!,✨

They may need to change this anyway. Two nurses in the family. Both work with covid patients. Both wear PPE (full garb and sealed mask etc). One vaxxed, one not. Both got Covid at their work this week (different states) and both have very mild symptoms. There is no rhyme or reason with this latest variant. I really feel for those of you who might have to cancel at the port. Good luck to all.

Sounds like a question for DCL, not random people on a forum.
My family members works with Covid patients and only wear a face mask, as is protocol for their profession. I actually left OP a message in a different thread where she asked the same question. So maybe some random people already have the answers like I do. I was on hold for over 180 minutes two weeks ago and got good advise on pre-testing for asymptomatic Covid concerns. For example; take a PCR test 12 days before your cruise if you work with Covid patients so that if you still have the antibodies you can get a doctor letter to show your in good health. DCL also told me that because results can be inconclusive you should pad an extra 2 days into that number, so test 14 days prior to cruise. We are all here to help each other out, some answers although specific and/or rare occurring, usually can be fielded by someone. I'd never sell this group short with over 25 years of experience. Got me out of weird jams a couple of times(passports left on the plane, pre-paid DCL hotel rooms gone because of flight delays,..) I still trust this group over social media groups for information. They might have the larger member base, but this is where the experts with experience remain.
Hail DISboards!

I agree. But by the same token those asking and answering the questions should be aware that anything posted here is not the official word. Some people might take it as such. I've seen threads on other social media sites of people asking things that only Disney/DCL could possibly know, seriously expecting someone to respond with the actual answer. So, while it's great to ask questions here and get information, it's also good for everyone to remember that nothing posted here is DCL gospel (and as we've seen on other threads, one person's experience with an issue also doesn't guarantee that's how DCL would handle the same situation again).

Yep I totally understand that perspective too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter