Medieval Times or Pirate dinner reviews???

sitkamom

Mouseketeer
Has anyone tried either of these? I have a 10yr old daughter who loves horses--thought she might enjoy the Medieval Times. Pirate dinner looks fun too.

We have done Medieval Times several times. My kids all enjoy it (still!). There is a horse shoe with a theme of a grand festival and games in a royal kingdom. The horsemanship is very impressive. Dinner is OK - mass dinner service - while you watch the show. The OC entertainment book has a good coupon for a family. The website usually does too. Also check the anaheim visitors bureau. They may have a new coupon for Buy one get one. The current coupon there will expire before your trip.
Have not done the Pirate show.

I didn't know if the lack of responses was due to the lack of enthusiasm for the show or if it's just not very well attended. I did see a few youtube videos--I think we will give it a try!

Thanks again!
C.

If you can be flexible about dates...and wait until the last minute to book, you can save money by using Goldstar.

Pirates: http://www.goldstar.com/events/buena-park-ca/pirates-dinner-adventure.html

Medieval: http://www.goldstar.com/events/buena-park-ca/medieval-times-dinner-and-tournament.html

Neither of them have what I'd call good food.....think a tiny step up from convention food, lol. But the entertainment is always spectacular (if not a little campy, but kids eat it up, lol).

It's one of those events that you definitely want to do at least once....we've done Medieval 3 times in the last 13 years and never regretted the time. Not sure I'd ever consider it an every year must do, but every few years it's a lot of fun. Pirates we've only done once, only because I have girls and they like the Princessy more than the swashbuckle.

I've heard it's easy to take the bus to Knottsberry Farms, but how is it to the Medieval Knights dinner? Is it pretty close by? Are the bus drivers pretty helpful if you don't know where you need to get off?

I've heard it's easy to take the bus to Knottsberry Farms, but how is it to the Medieval Knights dinner? Is it pretty close by? Are the bus drivers pretty helpful if you don't know where you need to get off?

Going from Disneyland, as can be seen on this map, they are past KBF on Beach Blvd. Metro 460 goes right past them. The stop, immediately after the one for KBF, is announced as "BEACH BLVD & WAX MUSEUM", although the museum has been closed for years. You would be on the side of Beach Blvd that both attractions are located, at the far end of Medieval Times - you'd continue walking in the same direction to get to Pirate's. There is a stop across Beach Blvd for the bus to Disneyland. From looking a satellite picture, there is (or was) a crosswalk that you can take to get across Beach Blvd to this stop at the Movieland Wax museum site. If there isn't any more, you could walk down to and across La Palma (staying on the right side of Beach Blvd on the map) to the KBF stop in order to catch the 460 to DLR. The stop would be on your left after you crossed the street.

You can call Metro at 1-323-GO-METRO to get definitive answers about going between DLR & PDA/MT on line 460.

kbfmtpda.jpg

bus stops
A: exit here for Medieval Times & Pirate's Dinner Adventure
B: board here to return to DLR
C: exit here for Knott's Berry Farm
D: board here to return to DLR

I'd also check to be sure that the buses are still running after the show is over. Here in Phoenix by the time it starts getting dark half the routes are closed down.

Will be traveling alone with my 10 yr old--I'm thinking we could take the bus there but maybe catch a cab back to the hotel. Does anyone have any idea how much a cab might run from the Medieval Dinner back to DLR?

Two things to know:

Arrive a half hour to hour before the show and you can see the horses in their stalls on the side of the arena.

There is no "kids menu". Your daughter will get the same food as everyone else. If she's a really picky eater (I had one who only ate the dinner roll:rolleyes:) maybe pack a snack.

My kids enjoyed it. It's a bit pricey, but I looked at it as a "show" that happened to have some food, not as the price being reflective of the meal.

PHXscuba

p.s. We drove so I don't know about transport.

Will be traveling alone with my 10 yr old--I'm thinking we could take the bus there but maybe catch a cab back to the hotel. Does anyone have any idea how much a cab might run from the Medieval Dinner back to DLR?

$25

And yes, the busses are still running after the show gets out.

Coupons for Buy One Get One Free coupons for Medieval and Pirates:

The Pirates one is good until NEXT April.

The Medieval Times one is about to expire, but keep watch because I've seen them on this page before so they'll likely renew it, especially given that Pirates is good for another year.

Thanks for the link.

If you scroll WAY down, there are a couple fast-food coupons good for Subway and McDonalds on Harbor Blvd near Disneyland.

PHXscuba

We've been to both and had a total blast at both of them. They are right next door to each other and felt perfectly fine on the bus going back to our hotel after they were over.

Medieval times has really great pagentry and the horses are beautiful. For me its the tournament at the end that was the most fun.

Pirates is much more interactive, especially for kids. They get to be sworn in as pirates during one part of the show and fight the pirates in another part. The pirate ship looks like its in water because of the moat that goes around it.

I just checked with my son (now 13) who has been to medieval times in anaheim, dallas and orlando several times since he was six and to pirates in both orlando and anaheim. If he had to choose he said that he would flip a coing because they are both really cool. If I had to pick I would choose pirates, because it felt more well piratey pirate: (fun and exciting) where medieval times has a slightly more formal :wizard:(you are the guest of the princess and king after all) feel to it.

Hope that helps. :cool1:

Where/what is the pirates dinner? I just started planning our SoCal trip for next month and have not heard of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter