Mediterrarean - Barcelona to Rome

witson

Just can't get enough
June 2019, we're planning the 6-night Mediterranean Cruise from Barcelona to Rome. We have extra days pre and post cruise. I need the must-see, must-do and don'ts for the ports: Barcelona, Cannes, Genoa, Pisa, Naples, and Rome.

Thanks,

Clarence

That’s a lot of stops (although par for the course in the Mediterranean I think). I feel bad for your wallet :)

Montserrat for Barcelona. I believe there are tours that go there but diy is a viable option.

Park Guell is pretty cool as well. I think you need to book that ahead of time.

Naples-we loved driving along the Amalfi Coast with a couple of stops and Pompeii

We did the 7 night of this cruise also this past June. Barcelona we did La Sagrada Familia and Park Guell on our own (we ended up with only one day in Barcelona because we got stuck in Canada on the way there). We stayed at the Casa Camper hotel right off of La Rambla. It was fabulous.
In Villefranche (instead of Cannes) we went to Monaco on our own. I would not do that again. Not a big fan of Monaco. I wish we had just done the beach that day.
In Genoa we did the Galata Museo del Mare. It was a really well done maritime museum within easy walking distance of the ship. We actually rode the shuttle bus there from the ship and it dropped us off right out front. We didn't ride the bus back because we would have had to wait about 1/2 an hour for it to leave when we could walk back in about 10 minutes.
Pisa we did Tuscany bus from Livorno and bought tickets in advance to climb the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
Naples we did Pompeii on our own and then walked around Naples a little and got some yummy pizza.
We stayed in Rome for 3 days at the end. We stayed at the Appia Antica resort and LOVED it. We did the Colosseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and the Vatican--all on our own with the Rome pass and buying our tickets in advance for the Vatican museums and Sistine Chapel. We also walked and biked the Appian Way one day and went to the catacombs there.
We used the Rick Steves Audio Europe app for his audio guides for several of our stops. We don't really like to do tours, but we still wanted to know about places. With the Rick Steves app, we could listen to what we wanted when we wanted and not listen if we didn't want to.​

Last edited:

June 2019, we're planning the 6-night Mediterranean Cruise from Barcelona to Rome. We have extra days pre and post cruise. I need the must-see, must-do and don'ts for the ports: Barcelona, Cannes, Genoa, Pisa, Naples, and Rome.

Thanks,

Clarence

Booked on the same cruise.

Think were are doing Eze for sure and St. Paul de Vince if feasible doe Cannes

Genoa, train to Cinque Terre and back.

Livorno, quick Pisa and then Lucca. Going to see the Oak of Witches where Pinocchio was inspired/written, if it cam be done maybe another Tuscan town like San Gimignano.

Naples, Pompeii and Naples proper view the Veiled Christ and the Archaological Museum.

In Naples we took a private tour with two other families. I think there were 10 or 11 of us. The tour company provided transportation, and we visited Pompeii, and had a tour with a local guide there, then went along the Amalfi Coast for lunch in this little restaurant overlooking the Mediterranean, then went down to Positano for a visit/shopping, and a stop in Sorrento on the way back to the ship. The tour was fascinating, especially Pompeii. I highly recommend.

The contact email I used: claudio@limoinrome.com, and the website, in case you're interested: www.limoinrome.com

I believe we also used him for Rome, and we visited: inside of the Vatican museum, Sistine Chapel, short visit to St. Peter's Basilica, inside tour of Coliseum, inside tour of the Pantheon, stop at Trevi Fountain, and lunch. I think over by the vatican we were able to shop and remember stopping for gelato. Again, it was fantastic because we were able to go inside these places and did not have to wait in line.

Thanks,

Clarence
I don't know if you're a history buff, but Rome has a lot of history.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter