Meds

b0m5jgr

Mouseketeer
Hi to everyone again, question, when it comes to meds do you need to carry the meds in there original containers or can you use those pill containers.

I’m nervous about my first diabetic pen. (I only need one a week)

I’m nervous about my first diabetic pen. (I only need one a week)
Should not be a problem. I would suggest taking an extra pen in case there are issues with the first one. Depending on the insulin they are good for 28-42 days out of refrigeration. My endo suggested this many years ago and I have had a pen issue once where the insulin would not come out.

I always use a seven day organizer and have photos of the bottles on my phone. I have been doing this for about 10 years and have never had issues anywhere in the world. I am also diabetic and have no issues carrying just the flex pens I need.
that's a great idea, thank you very much

Should not be a problem. I would suggest taking an extra pen in case there are issues with the first one. Depending on the insulin they are good for 28-42 days out of refrigeration. My endo suggested this many years ago and I have had a pen issue once where the insulin would not come out.
I have all these irrational fears going on in my head.
They’re going to tell me it’s a liquid I have to prove it is medicine and shoot it in my body the moment I walk through TSA.
Port authority is going to throw me down on the ground and handcuffed me, because they suspect my pen is actually heroin.
I look especially nervous so they decide it must be because I’m trying to hide something and I end up going through a full body search.
I think I need to be heavily medicated! It must be 12:00 somewhere!

The TSA is fine with non-liquid meds not being in their original containers. If you want to use the exception to the 3oz rule for liquid meds, they have to be in the original container.

My daughter is on a variety of prescription meds. Traveling domestically, I use our pill sorter, but none of her meds are controlled substances. Controlled substances must always be kept in the original prescription bottles. When traveling internationally, which is what you are doing on a cruise, I always keep our meds in the original prescription bottles. Different countries have different laws and I would never want to go through customs with meds not in their prescription bottles. Plenty of people will say "I've done this plenty of times and never had a problem," but I don't want to be the one who has a problem with it. My daughter's meds are far too important for her health to risk having them confiscated due to not being in their prescription bottles. Nor do I want to risk being delayed and/or detained due to medications not in their proper containers. This is a case where you are better off being safe than sorry.

The TSA is fine with non-liquid meds not being in their original containers. If you want to use the exception to the 3oz rule for liquid meds, they have to be in the original container.

My daughter is on a variety of prescription meds. Traveling domestically, I use our pill sorter, but none of her meds are controlled substances. Controlled substances must always be kept in the original prescription bottles. When traveling internationally, which is what you are doing on a cruise, I always keep our meds in the original prescription bottles. Different countries have different laws and I would never want to go through customs with meds not in their prescription bottles. Plenty of people will say "I've done this plenty of times and never had a problem," but I don't want to be the one who has a problem with it. My daughter's meds are far too important for her health to risk having them confiscated due to not being in their prescription bottles. Nor do I want to risk being delayed and/or detained due to medications not in their proper containers. This is a case where you are better off being safe than sorry.

Not only that, but should something happen where you are unable to speak, having those bottles - or at the very least the name of everything you are taking on a card - will help medical people know what your conditions are and help prevent any kind of drug interaction.

I've never had a problem having my meds in a 7 day organizer going through TSA or getting on the ship. As far as the diabetic medication, my DD is Type 1 and we have never had a problem with taking her insulin or her Glucagon through TSA or on to the ship. Your diabetic injection should have the RX label on it, so no questions will be asked. It doesn't even have to be in a 3-1-1 bag since it is exempt.

I've never had a problem having my meds in a 7 day organizer going through TSA or getting on the ship. As far as the diabetic medication, my DD is Type 1 and we have never had a problem with taking her insulin or her Glucagon through TSA or on to the ship. Your diabetic injection should have the RX label on it, so no questions will be asked. It doesn't even have to be in a 3-1-1 bag since it is exempt.

Most people never have a problem exceeding the speed limit either. But every once in a while someone is actually checking it.

I have all these irrational fears going on in my head.
They’re going to tell me it’s a liquid I have to prove it is medicine and shoot it in my body the moment I walk through TSA.
Port authority is going to throw me down on the ground and handcuffed me, because they suspect my pen is actually heroin.
I look especially nervous so they decide it must be because I’m trying to hide something and I end up going through a full body search.
I think I need to be heavily medicated! It must be 12:00 somewhere!

Your diabetes pens (and all the supplies) will be just fine — TSA won’t even blink, they are used to it. I agree with PP who recommends bringing an extra pen just in case. And I recommend traveling with at least double the usual supplies and testing more frequently, at least until you feel comfortable that the travel, weather changes, foods, activity, etc. aren’t impacting your levels more than usual.

DH uses FRIO packs to keep his pens cool when traveling. He doesn’t trust hotel mini fridges.

Enjoy your cruise!

When traveling overseas, the State department always advises people carrying medications in their original containers, whether prescription or over-the-counter. Different countries have different laws about what medicines are legal, and how much of a medication one person can possess at a time.

Exactly why I keep my meds in their appropriate containers until I'm onboard. Since I usually do longer cruises, once I'm onboard I'll set up my daily pill minder from the medication bottles.
While I didn't have a problem going to Norway, I will be doing this on the Med cruise this summer.

One thing to note... Always take extra with you. There were stories of people stuck on ships during Harvey who had only brought enough for their scheduled time away who were having to see if the medical team had the meds or a suitable alternative or go without.

Don't be too worried about traveling with a pen! When I'm gone for more than a week, I have to travel with a cooler full of Humira (epi-pen style) and ice packs. I took them with me for study abroad (4 months worth) and while backpacking in Turkey for 6 weeks in addition to other shorter trips. Let me tell you, nothing says "cool" like a girl and her soft-sided cooler full of needles ;)

I do carry a note from my doctor but, in the 10 years I have been traveling with my meds, I have been asked for it one time while in Switzerland. I normally give TSA a heads up though ("Hey, this cooler is filled with ice and medical supplies") and they normally open up the cooler to look inside. If you don't have a cooler and ice packs, I imagine this is even more straightforward. I don't travel with any of my non-vital meds in their original bottles. I do travel with anything that is a) vital to my health or b) a controlled substance in its original bottle just to be safe. I've never had any problems.

Since it is cheaper to get 90 day scripts with our insurance we end up with huge pill bottles. I ask the pharmacy to label smaller bottles that I can fit a trips worth plus a few extra days in. Much smaller to pack, I don't have to worry they will be taken away and I can put them in a daily organizer once on board.

Since it is cheaper to get 90 day scripts with our insurance we end up with huge pill bottles. I ask the pharmacy to label smaller bottles that I can fit a trips worth plus a few extra days in. Much smaller to pack, I don't have to worry they will be taken away and I can put them in a daily organizer once on board.

Thank you! One prescription I take are tiny pills that come in a humongous container where the pills barely cover the bottom of the container. When I'm traveling I attempt to carefully peel off the label and affix to smaller bottle - never thought about asking pharmacy for a smaller bottle. Duh.

Thank you! One prescription I take are tiny pills that come in a humongous container where the pills barely cover the bottom of the container. When I'm traveling I attempt to carefully peel off the label and affix to smaller bottle - never thought about asking pharmacy for a smaller bottle. Duh.
Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. Our insurance covers a 90 day supply at once, also, and it's cheaper if we do it mail order. Comes in a large bottle. Like yours, just covers the bottom of the bottle. One time I took the bottle to the brick & mortar pharmacy and asked to have it put in a smaller bottle, and was told they couldn't do that. They'd only do it if they actually fill the prescription. For the full cost.

So I'm peeling the label off the large bottle and putting it on a smaller one I've saved at home.

I have recently been prescribed a liquid gel NSAID. I read the TSA site on medications (https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2014/09/05/tsa-travel-tips-traveling-medication) and it states that liquid meds are permitted in a reasonable quantity for the trip. I have no idea what reasonable quantity means, but my bottle is enough for a few months. It's the only bottle size I have and the way this is dispensed, the dosage is by number of pumps. I can't transfer it and even if I did, it would no longer be in the original container.

Anyone have experience with liquid medications they could share?

Also, I have TSA Pre-check. Assuming I can still use the pre-check line but just declare the medications. I don't really want to put it in checked luggage, even though I won't need it during my flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter