• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Meeting characters as an adult? Do they speak english?

dani77

Mouseketeer
This question may seem weird...still hope someone can answer it.
Even though I live in Germany I have never ever been do DLP.
I'm a huge fan of the characters when I'm in WDW but seems like character meets at DLP seem to be a little different (no queuing etc.). In Orlando I never ever got weird looks beeing an adult female solo traveller when I met a character and asked for a photo or autpgraph. Will that be different in DLP?
I'd love to meet Mickey, a princess and my favourite..Pooh bear pooh:. Will I be okay doing that as an adult? And do the face characters speak english? I hardly remember anything from the french class I took in highschool ages ago. Maybe I remember enough to ask for the way but for sure I won't be able to have conversations with characters. I'd love to meet Gaston but don't want to end up not beeing able to talk to him.
I am so excited for my first time ever trip to DLP march 23-26 but I'm also a little confused since so many things are different from WDW.
How about CM's at rides and the ones at ticket booths and the hotels...do all of them speak english?

if the face characters hear you speak english, they will reply in english :).

Same with the vast majority of CMs all over DLP - I speak no conversational French to speak of, and I've never had a problem making myself understood at DLP.

if the face characters hear you speak english, they will reply in english :).

Same with the vast majority of CMs all over DLP - I speak no conversational French to speak of, and I've never had a problem making myself understood at DLP.

Same here, I keep saying I want to learn some French before my next trip, but life gets in the way! :lmao:

This question may seem weird...still hope someone can answer it.
Even though I live in Germany I have never ever been do DLP.
I'm a huge fan of the characters when I'm in WDW but seems like character meets at DLP seem to be a little different (no queuing etc.). In Orlando I never ever got weird looks beeing an adult female solo traveller when I met a character and asked for a photo or autpgraph. Will that be different in DLP?
I'd love to meet Mickey, a princess and my favourite..Pooh bear pooh:. Will I be okay doing that as an adult? And do the face characters speak english? I hardly remember anything from the french class I took in highschool ages ago. Maybe I remember enough to ask for the way but for sure I won't be able to have conversations with characters. I'd love to meet Gaston but don't want to end up not beeing able to talk to him.
I am so excited for my first time ever trip to DLP march 23-26 but I'm also a little confused since so many things are different from WDW.
How about CM's at rides and the ones at ticket booths and the hotels...do all of them speak english?

In a word "Yes". I have never met a face character that does not speak perfect English yet. In fact, when we met Jack Skellington (or as he was then .... Sandy Claws) at Christmas he began by speaking to us in French and when I replied in my poor French he said "Oh my! You are English Madam and SOOOO very English too!" he had for some reason assumed us French. I still cannot tell you if he was English and could speak amazing French, or French and had an awesone English accent!

Peter Pan certainly speaks English. And Gaston does as he informed my daughter that she must be awestruck to have met someone as good looking as him. :bitelip: Mickey and Pooh don't speak when you meet then, but mime actions. We haven't really done princesses.

I have only encountered any degree of difficulty with English at a couple of hotel receptions and also a couple of restaurants and these were when things had not been as they should be and I was trying to get a CM to rectify them. The CM's all wear a badge with flags denoting which languages they speak too.

You will have no issues on rides, at booths etc.

By the way, there is now a queuing system at the meet and greets which is working very well. You just go and join the end of the queue for the character you would like to meet when you see them. If there is a CM stood at the end of the queue it means that the character is going soon and the queue is closing.

Nobody will think anything of you being an adult alone on rides or at meets. When we were there last month, my Mother In Law surprised us by taking herself on the tram tours ride in the studios and It's A Small World in the main park whilst waiting for us to be done on coasters. She is normally very shy and self conscious but realised that nobody thinks anything of a solo traveller.

ENJOY!!!!! :):):)

In a word "Yes". I have never met a face character that does not speak perfect English yet. .

Nobody will think anything of you being an adult alone on rides or at meets. When we were there last month, my Mother In Law surprised us by taking herself on the tram tours ride in the studios and It's A Small World in the main park whilst waiting for us to be done on coasters. She is normally very shy and self conscious but realised that nobody thinks anything of a solo traveller. ENJOY!!!!! :):):)

Thanks you so much for the detailed reply. I have been to WDW Orlando many times, always solo and never had a problem. I enjoyed myself and felt just like a kid again.
Now I was not sure wether it would be the same in Disneyland since in Europe, things just tend to be a little different. Beeing german and having vacationed in France a few times an not exactly loving it there I guess I just needed some reasurance that this last minute spontaneus first time ever trip to disneyland paris will be fun :-)

I travel alone as well. The only weird looks are from the other guest. Again the "Disney is for kids issue"

I go to DLP for the characters. Like you i do not speak french.
But i have amazing interactions with all characters, face characters and non-face characters.

All the characters speak English, sometimes the CM with the Character doesn't but that has never been a problem.

I hope you have a great time during your first ever trip to DLP. :)

Although I didn't travel solo I did at points split up from the rest of my family on my last trip and met Pooh on my own. I certainly didn't notice anyone saying this was unusual and the CM was great about taking a photo on my phone for me.

All speaking characters spoke to me in English, I don't know how some of them knew - I must look English! I found with some CMs that a little French goes a long way, I would try to greet them in French (which was to be honest so poor they replied immediately in English) but my DH was far too embarrassed to attempt any French definitely received a worse reception and 2 occasions where the CM either ignored him in the queue or refused (pretended not) to speak English.

I've been to DLP four times now, never with any kids, and have met lots of characters.

When faced with scrums and pushy parents, it often seemed like a case of "if you can't beat em, join em" but standing my ground and waiting for my turn usually meant the cast members eventually picked me to get a character photo :thumbsup2

I've read they've now implemented a queuing system, which sounds likes it's working very well and I'm hoping that DLP will make it a full-time change.

Like everyone else, I'd say don't worry about being an adult wanting to meet characters or about not speaking much French. You'll find a lot of us in exactly the same situation as you! :goodvibes

One last comment - when I went at Halloween, it seemed there were more adults wanting to meet characters than kids so it just proves that Disney is for everyone!

I've had it twice that characters spoke only French. Happened once with Alice and once with Cruella. With Alice I managed to make it work with using the little French I speak. For Cruella not even that helped, but thankfully the cast member with her spoke a little English.

On our very first trip we did the entire dress up in Disney all matchy matchy. We had a chance to speak to a handler for about 30 minutes. She said many characters come from the US, work hard, show up for work, etc.

Nearly everyone speaks English, but as good manners go I suggest you greet the language of the country you are in and also learn to say please and thank you. Hello and goodbye. Again, JMO good manners.

I hope you have a good trip.

I travel to Disney alot and most of the time I am on my own.

I really hate the 'Disney is for Kids' attitude, people should not take life so seriously! I'm rather suprisingly not a big fan of ride..at least the scary ones...I do have my fav's in DLP, so it's all about the Characters and pixie dust for me.

I have done character breakfasts, lunches and dinners on my own, I have queued on my own and ***sheepishly*** gave as good as I got before the new system when others where pushing in. I've also filled autograph books and I maintain that this is loads of fun...EVEN if your an adult.

I have always had positive experience with character interactions, it's all the same to them if your an adult or child and the crew members are great if you want photo's taken...although I love the photocard system, makes being a solo traveller that bit easier.

I have met a couple of characters who sign thier names in french but have never met any who can't speak english so I don't think you'll have an issue.

If you are there on a Sunday, go to inventions...that's where you get the best interaction in my opinion and they take time will all guests and all tables...well worth the extra euro's - and food is among the best in resort!

Go have fun :banana:

Just a little over a week to go before my DLPR adventure :)
Now I'm a lot more confident as far as character meets go...guess my basic french (VERY basic...) and english will do just fine. Thanks all, I'll make sure to report back how it was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter