• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Meeting Characters without Kids

I'm an adult traveler and met 45 characters on my trip last month, including some rare ones I've been looking for for years! And my character craving is still not satisfied, haha.

It can happen that someone is rude, but the vast majority of people you'll encounter in the lines are very polite and understanding. And it's not likely that you'll be the only adult without kids in line---adult character fans are more common than you might think! I talked to plenty of my fellow character-obsessed folk while waiting in lines.

As for the characters themselves, all of them were very sweet. Some interactions 'click' more than others, but they'll make an effort to interact at the level you want. You'll almost definitely get your hug from Mickey. :)

But it might help ease your worries if you start with an interaction where other adult-only groups will also be in line. You'll find a few adults without kids in most lines, but in my experience the character with the largest percentage of adult groups in line is Gaston. He's so gloriously hammy and hilarious that I could sit and watch him for hours. You won't be the only childless adult at that particular meet, guaranteed.

I actually booked H&V breakfast this year to see Doc and Sofia (yes, I watch too much Disney Jr).

Me, again, coming back to say that breakfast at H&V was a highlight of my trip! CMs and characters were all super nice to this silly lady. Doc McStuffins is adorable. I was there first thing, and she was hanging around near the buffet before the characters started visiting tables. I said good morning to her and warned her not to look at my unhealthy breakfast, and she gave this shocked 'oh, no!' reaction. She actually came around to my table twice (they weren't very busy). First time, we hugged and took pics (I told her to give Chilly a big hug from me because he's my favorite). When she came back around the second time, she stopped and gave me another little hug around the shoulders and I showed her I now had oatmeal and fruit and she gave me her thumbs-up seal of approval.

This year I went to see Mickey at the Epcot Character Spot and got to see Goofy and Minnie there, too. Minnie Mouse is my new BFF!! I was wearing my Imagination Movers "Live From the Idea Warehouse" Concert t-shirt, and when Minnie saw it, she went nuts, pointing and clapping and doing a little Movers-esque dance. I told her I'd seen them in concert 3 times, and she was all excited. Who knew Minnie was a Movers fan? :goodvibes

There is nothing wrong with meeting characters solo

I have done it even when I with friends they don't stand in line and I go alone

It's a quick moment in your life and no one looks down on you. ;)

It's Disney. Go for it!!!

I've done it before, no problem, but its even better if your DH agrees to go with you ( less chance of getting mobbed by all the kids waiting in line behind you :rotfl2:)

I do it every chance I get. Although the new mickey that blocks and talks freaks me out. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually

Check out the videos from See Ya Reel Soon on youtube. 2 grown ups who do all the character meet and greets. It's totally not weird at all! The beauty of Disney :)

I am completely and totally shameless about meeting with characters at Disney. I have to go see my main man Donald. No shame. I love it. And I'm not all business. I am big dork and I get so excited and giddy as I wait. And nobody acts like you are a weirdo. Disney is for everyone and no one is treated with anything but a welcoming smile and a hug. Love it!!!!

Possibly doing a 26th birthday, first time trip at the end of July and was wanting to get pictures as well as autographs for myself.

Would using a child Autograph book be the best or are there bigger, adult sized/styled ones?

I can always make my own with tips from the boards but keeping options open

i scrapbook so i get these pads that are about the size of an autograph book. last trip i got lucky and found some on clearance at target for less than $2 each. here is a link to the type of pad you would want, it fits easily in my handbag and at the end of the day i pull of the signed sheets, since i am scrapbooking them later anyway. http://www.target.com/p/essential-l...-15087666#prodSlot=medium_1_17&term=scrapbook pad

I always go and see the characters!!

Personally, I find it more enjoyable now at my age, especially since I now have a few characters that are my definite favorites (instead of as a kid when I thought every single character was my fav).

Plus now, I make a full day out of solely doing character photos. I'll dress up (b/c I'll admit it, I absolutely hate getting a photo next to someone like Aurora and having on a sweaty tank top and comfy shorts).

I still get giddy when Pluto gets on one knee and gives me a kiss on the hand. I died of laughter when Gaston told me to grip his bicep. I love talking with Aurora. Rapunzel and Flynn are the most precious couple. I still swoon over Aladdin.

To me, meeting the characters as an adult is one of the best ways to let that inner wide-eyed child in all of us come out :cutie:

Two years ago DH and I decided to get PhotoPass+ at DLR so I dragged him to hop in to character lines. May as well get our money's worth! Normally we don't bother with characters, but he went along with me and we got some great pictures. We also tried our first character meal and we were wondering if we (as just a couple) would be mostly ignored by characters, but we weren't. You can find a link to my review in my sig. So that was at DLR. We didn't wait longer than 30 min for anyone (Merida and Tink were the longest).

From what I hear, the character lines at WDW are crazy long! Since we had been to DLR a zillion times, we didn't mind waiting a little, but I don't think we will spend our time at WDW waiting in character lines when there are so many new things to see. If I saw a short line we might get in, but it sounds like the character set ups are different at WDW.

I love getting my photos with characters, but, beware of the parents who think you are invisible as you have no kids and push their kids ahead of you, you may think that is a small thing, but, I queued for ages to see Goofy at PotC was at the front when a kid ran ahead and the parents did nothing, then Goofy went for a break and I had to wait extra time while the queue jumpers could head off, so never again. If you point out to parents you are next they get really shirty so be prepared for that. However, that aside I love it and even plan to get my photos with Princesses and Fairies this year as I love Tinkerbelle and Frozen and if they think it's odd for a middle aged female on her own to have her photo taken with them then tough, I paid my money and I'm entitled to those memories too.

I love getting my photos with characters, but, beware of the parents who think you are invisible as you have no kids and push their kids ahead of you, you may think that is a small thing, but, I queued for ages to see Goofy at PotC was at the front when a kid ran ahead and the parents did nothing, then Goofy went for a break and I had to wait extra time while the queue jumpers could head off, so never again. If you point out to parents you are next they get really shirty so be prepared for that. However, that aside I love it and even plan to get my photos with Princesses and Fairies this year as I love Tinkerbelle and Frozen and if they think it's odd for a middle aged female on her own to have her photo taken with them then tough, I paid my money and I'm entitled to those memories too.

I had the same thing happen during Valentine's week last year. I was next for Rapunzel and Flynn when Flynn came over and took my hand. DMom behind me thought it okay to throw her DD with Rapunzel. Luckily Flynn caught what was going on and made a joke to Rapunzel about how she was having a Blondie moment. Poor Rapunzel turned bright red - you could tell she felt awful - realizing that it was just me and the little girl behind me wasn't with me, even though her mom pushed her up there like she was my sister.

I have been on mostly adult-only trips and have felt on numerous occasions that we were rushed along at character greetings or sped past at character meals. So unfair! Just because we're adults doesn't mean we don't want some face time with our favorite characters. Doesn't happen all the time though. Two notable exceptions were Tigger at the Crystal Palace on my trip last summer (or maybe the summer before that) and Lady Tremaine and the stepsisters this past December. Thanks for giving us more than our money's worth of interaction!

I'll admit, I've never seen the appeal of meet and greets with the characters. My best friend and his wife love to, as well as another couple we are
Friends with.

After reading these posts, I'm starting to think I'm not embracing my inner Disney dork enough!

My wife and I will give it a shot next time we go!

For me, it is more about having a picture of me with the character. I don't need an autograph and I don't need to spend time talking. I just want a picture. I have several I framed and put in my classroom. One of me with Minnie Mouse and one with Woody. My preschool students like to see those pictures. :) But no, not waiting more than 20 minutes for it.

Well I'm an adult I'm still obsessed with my Disney characters, so I'd hope not!

I plan to do plenty of my favorite character meets in the future! And I'm sure they'd be lovely all the same, no matter how old you are :)!

I don't seek out the characters. I'm a short person & although I'm over 50, Ive wound up getting the pat on my head, when I come across one Lol

But when I see pics of adult meeting characters, I always have to smile. They're always so excited. Go for it

Meeting the characters is possibly my favorite part of a WDW trip, other than a select few attractions. My favorite to meet is Marie, because I just love The Aristocats. They never had any Aristocats characters out when I was a kid, so meeting her now is like getting to be a little kid again for those few minutes. If they ever retire her I will be pretty disappointed.

Also, to any adult Disney fan who has never met Mickey- you should try it. Maybe I'm just lame, but that really is one of the most magical parts of the trip for me.

Went to WDW with my sister. We're both in our 30's. We took lots of great pictures with almost every character we found.
Sometimes I could see long faces from parents with kids, looking at us as if we we're "immature" or someting... but if that's what they think, that's their problem, not mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter