• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Meeting Covid Testing requirements Post cruise for travel to USA

MSGB1701

Earning My Ears
Hi,
my wife, daughter Mother, and I are taking a Disney cruise to Alaska on 23 May. Thankfully, the Canadian govt has authorized fully vaxxed passengers to enter with just the vax record. Getting to Canada I thought would be the hard part. Now I am working on reentry to the USA and it seems we have to take a test 1 day before flying back to the States. Does anyone know where that will be done? or is Disney going to do it on ship? how do I coordinate something like this in Canada before heading to the airport once the ship is docked? any solid guidance would be helpful.

I doubt Disney will do it. Once you debark in Vancouver you will have to deal with it.

This is from Disney's Know Before You Go Page:

Post-Cruise Testing Service for Guests Returning Home
Some Guests may be required by their home country or state public health authorities to show proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result before returning home by air. Inspire Diagnostics, Disney Cruise Line’s third-party testing provider, offers this optional service for $98.33 per person for PCR testing, and $41.40 per person for antigen testing. Guests are responsible for knowing what type of test their home country/state requires (PCR or antigen), and the window of time in which it must be conducted. Testing is conducted at the terminal after disembarking the ship. Results take approximately 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the type of test. This service is available for cruises beginning on or after January 31, 2022. For more information and to book an appointment, visit the Safe Passage website.

When you're filling out your Safe Passage information, it will give you the option to sign up for the Post Cruise Testing. We are going to need it after our Hawaii to Vancouver sailing... I've been hoping that the US drops the re-entry testing for vaxxed folks, but doesn't seem like it's going to happen in time for our sailing in early May.

You also could take ground transportation over the border and then fly out of Seattle. There's no testing requirement for ground transportation into the US. But it seems much easier for us to just pay the $41 each for a test than to deal with all the coordination of ground transfers to Seattle.

Order these and take with you. Super easy. Proctored tests with the navica app. My son has used them, multiple times for entry back to the US9497F7A4-0DCB-4469-A33D-B48AA422C460.jpeg

I believe the free tests from the U.S. government (iHealth brand if received) can also be proctored. I haven't personally experienced this but did see it mentioned in a group or thread for Alaskan cruisers as we cruise the 13th. I am looking at flying out of Seattle and taking a bus or car service there unless my Canadian family will drive me across the border to Bellingham to rent a car.

The problem with Inspire testing in Vancouver is that according to the DCL Canada protocols section, it doesn't open until 10 am. Our flight is at 1:00 and we won't have time to get the Inspire test in person and get to the airport. I sent an email to DCL since we are using their transportation -- their auto response said they would respond in 15 days.

We talked about using the proctored tests, but we are worried about having reliable internet for a video call. Has anyone successfully done this from the ship? Do you need a laptop or can you use a tablet/phone?

I believe the free tests from the U.S. government (iHealth brand if received) can also be proctored. I haven't personally experienced this but did see it mentioned in a group or thread for Alaskan cruisers as we cruise the 13th. I am looking at flying out of Seattle and taking a bus or car service there unless my Canadian family will drive me across the border to Bellingham to rent a car.
If you are using the government test kits, make sure to look at the expiration date. The ones we received from the federal govt and state govt had expiration dates in a few months -- could be why they are sending them out so freely.

If you are using the government test kits, make sure to look at the expiration date. The ones we received from the federal govt and state govt had expiration dates in a few months -- could be why they are sending them out so freely.
Definitely smart to check the expiration dates, but even the ones we purchased before the gov't offered them 'free' had expiration dates only months out - probably more to do with the chemicals used as part of the test.

The problem with Inspire testing in Vancouver is that according to the DCL Canada protocols section, it doesn't open until 10 am. Our flight is at 1:00 and we won't have time to get the Inspire test in person and get to the airport. I sent an email to DCL since we are using their transportation -- their auto response said they would respond in 15 days.

We talked about using the proctored tests, but we are worried about having reliable internet for a video call. Has anyone successfully done this from the ship? Do you need a laptop or can you use a tablet/phone?
Reach out to inspire diagnostics directly, their hours might be different on debarkation day.

I have done proctored tests on my phone. You cell coverage will probably depend on your carrier.

I'm sailing into Vancouver on May 13th. I haven't heard anything from Celebrity about this, so I'm following along here.

Sure, but how does that affect a particular iHealth test? Do we add some fixed amount of time to the original expiration date? What was the old shelf life?
Look up your particular test here.

https://ihealthlabs.com/pages/news#expiration

On Mar 29, 2022, the FDA granted a three-month shelf-life extension for the iHealth COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test, which extended the shelf-life of all iHealth tests with expiration dates on or before 2022-09-29 (YYYY-MM-DD) from 6 months to 9 months. For example, if the expiration date printed on your box says 2022-05-21 (YYYY-MM-DD), the updated expiration date is 2022-08-21 (YYYY-MM-DD). We will continue to apply to FDA for shelf-life extensions every three months based on our stability studies, and the new shelf-lives for our tests will apply to tests already produced as well as future production. [\quote]

Oh, this is awesome! I found the site, and it is only $25 for the proctoring. I have 3 boxes of tests - they literally hand them out at my pharmacy with prescriptions - and they all expire June/July 2022. I will pack those!

Oh, this is awesome! I found the site, and it is only $25 for the proctoring. I have 3 boxes of tests - they literally hand them out at my pharmacy with prescriptions - and they all expire June/July 2022. I will pack those!

Do you have more info on how the free government tests can be proctored? Thanks.

Do you have more info on how the free government tests can be proctored? Thanks.
It depends which ones you received, they sent out different brands. We have been discussing iHealth. Download the iHealth Test app and it gives you a pop up message.

Last edited:
If you do the iHealth test you will need access to a laptop or desktop. Phones and tablets are not allowed, for some reason.

Technical Requirements​

The device you use to complete the appointment MUST meet the following requirements:

Wifi
1. Have stable wifi access to ensure a smooth virtual meeting.
Laptop
2. You must use a device that is an internet-enabled laptop or desktop computer ONLY. Tablets and smartphones are NOT supported.
Camera
3. You must have a working microphone AND a front-facing camera.
Chrome
4. Browser Requirement:Google Chrome ONLY

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter