Member Svs Claims CANNOT put NO SMOKING FOR MEDICAL REASONS!

debbie in Seattle

Mouseketeer
After the terrible experience I had at the BWV (see my rant "First trip home/probably my last"), I called member services this morning to discuss my upcoming trip in December, this time to the Beach Club. I was told that DVC does not allow 'for medical purposes' to be put on any request for a non smoking room! I asked to speak to a supervisor, I did, Anthony, and he confirmed that it is a Disney policy NOT to put that down! I told him that when I made my original ressies for the Boardwalk trip in October, I was specific that it was for Medical Reasons, was told it was, told Anthony that when I called 3 days prior to arriving to confirm that my ressie said no smoking for Medical Reasons, it was....... I explained what had happened to me, and upon coming home, became very ill, missed 4 days of work due to being in the room I was in, and he told me that only 1%, yep, 1% of the nonsmoking requests are not granted, that means 99% of all nonsmoking requests are honored! This is sure not what I've been reading on these boards. I'm so frustrated with this entire situation and lack of consistency.
I read on these boards how folks want a specific room number, view of something specific, to be near an elevator or not and here all I ask for is the
hope that I will be able to be in a room smoke free so I do not get sick as I did.
ARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Gee that's funny because the last two times when went down on DVC our confirmation had NO SMOKING - medical reasons on the confirmation.

Maybe I should see if I still have a copy and fax them for you....

I have just checked our reservations (2 of them) and it DEF. says

** REQUEST NON-SMOKING FOR MEDICAL REASONS **

not unless their policy has changed in the last month

Yes, I always have this request down as I have asthma, and I have never had a problem. Please keep us posted, because, if this is a new policy, I'd definitely call to voivce my opinion.

Perhaps the change has more to do with folks putting down "medical reasons" when that is not truly the case. Maybe all requests for true non-smoking medical have to go through "someone else", like a WDW resort ADA supervisor or something.

But truly, in 12 years and 30+ DVC visits, I have only been given a smoking room once, and it was MY choice to accept it because it was ready for occupacy when I arrived and a non-smoking room would not have been ready for several hours.

Remember that even if MS puts down "medical" on the ressie, MS can not block off specific rooms, it is still basically a non-guaranteed "request", which is also probably a reason for the change.

That must be new, because I always request "non-smoking for medical reasons", and usually when I reserve, they ask, "non-smokiong for medical reasons?", and I say yes. Of course, I have been requesting that forever, and that is the ONLY request I ever make. I will be VERY disappointed if it can no longer be a request.

I've sent an email of concern to DVC and also rec'd a survey and voiced my frustrations there.

I offered "Anthony" the supervisor I spoke with (who told me DVC does not accept 'medical reasons' to get a note from my MD and fax to him and he said they can't do that.

All I've got to say is that anyone who THINKS they've got this issue resolved, be wary!

Last Fall we had 'Medical Reasons' noted on our ressie for our son - I too want to know if this has changed. One night - or even two, probably wouldn't be the end of the world for him - but if we're planning on staying a week somewhere it has to be non-smoking. I wonder if maybe they'll be requiring dr notes now? I was surprised they didn't ask for mine at the time.

debbie in Seattle said:
I've sent an email of concern to DVC and also rec'd a survey and voiced my frustrations there.

I offered "Anthony" the supervisor I spoke with (who told me DVC does not accept 'medical reasons' to get a note from my MD and fax to him and he said they can't do that.

All I've got to say is that anyone who THINKS they've got this issue resolved, be wary!
In over 20 stays with "non-smoking for medical reasons" on our ressie, I have NEVER been given a smoking optional room. I did once get a non-smoking room that had been smoked in, but they tried their best to clean it out for me after the first night. It still was a bit of a problem, but I think once in 20 isn't bad odds.

Is it possible that this is the policy of BCV? I wonder if "medical reasons" are accepted at some resorts but not others. I can understand that they may be feeling that saying "medical reasons" is overused, and their fear that some people are just SAYING "medical reasons", but common, some people really do have medical issues. So ask for a doctor's note or something to tighten up, don't ignore it. Doesn't Disney realize that by ignoring true medical issues, they could be setting themselves up for a lawsuit (for example, just think of all the problems/sickness Debbie in Seattle had)?

I just got back from OKW and still have my reservation, it clearly states for medical reason on it for non-smoking :confused3

I made ressies for Vero earlier this month - confirmation includes NS for medical.

Please keep us posted -- if this is a new policy it is definitely a problem for us.

Simba's Mom said:
Is it possible that this is the policy of BCV? I wonder if "medical reasons" are accepted at some resorts but not others. I can understand that they may be feeling that saying "medical reasons" is overused, and their fear that some people are just SAYING "medical reasons", but common, some people really do have medical issues. So ask for a doctor's note or something to tighten up, don't ignore it. Doesn't Disney realize that by ignoring true medical issues, they could be setting themselves up for a lawsuit (for example, just think of all the problems/sickness Debbie in Seattle had)?

I see no reason why Disney could be held liable. I am sorry about that fact that Debbie had a problem with her prior visit, but there are only so many things a company can control.

One any person can smoke in a NS room and it does happen. Also every person has to be accountable for their own safety. If a room is offered to move into, even if it is multiple moves and the guest declines, then the guest has chosen convenience over their own health. Again how could Disney be liable for that.

If this change has come about, it will not surprise me if it is due to abuse of the system.

I have seen many posts on these forums where a guest is wanting NS as a preference, only for someone to step up and tell them, request it for medical reasons, not even knowing if that is true.

I know Disney seems to be reacting very much lately to any abuse of their guidelines and regulations with changes that punish everyone. I guess they are getting tired of it and the fact that many think, Oh well it's Disney I can get away with it.

This last May we had non-smoking for medical reasons and we did not ask for it!! I told the MS lady I was not about to except a smoking room due to the discusting, revolting smell but that it was not a medical reason. She said that if I was that opposed to smoking she would list it as "medical reason" and did just that. If this many people ask for non-smoking rooms, why oh why does Disney just make them all non-smoking or again reduce the number of rooms and places to smoke?? I just don't understand it...smjj

If I needed NS for medical reasons, there would be absolutely NO way that I would accept a SO room. And if my allergies/asthma was that bad the last thing I would do would be to leave home without my inhaler. Both husband and I take medication and it is priority one!! People that I know who use inhalers carry their inhaler ALWAYS. Also, a large percentage of people get sick after being on vacation. I've always leaned towards blaming the plane not the room I was in.

IMHO, this is comparable to putting a wheelchair bound guest on a third floor walkup without elevator access.

I had heart surgery this past August and will be calling myself this week to add no smoking for medical reasons to my ressies. I will be glad to report back here.

Mary2816 said:
If I needed NS for medical reasons, there would be absolutely NO way that I would accept a SO room. And if my allergies/asthma was that bad the last thing I would do would be to leave home without my inhaler. Both husband and I take medication and it is priority one!! People that I know who use inhalers carry their inhaler ALWAYS. Also, a large percentage of people get sick after being on vacation. I've always leaned towards blaming the plane not the room I was in.
I was thinking the exact thing . :earsgirl:

We are renting points in the Spring. I just called and they added no smoking for medical reasons...no problems.

debbie in Seattle said:
...he told me that only 1%, yep, 1% of the nonsmoking requests are not granted, that means 99% of all nonsmoking requests are honored! This is sure not what I've been reading on these boards.

Commenting strictly on this part of your statement, there is some evidence to support his comments. I held a poll about 6 months ago, and the responses indicated about 2.5% of DIS MEMBERS did not get their smoking preference on their last reservation.

Bear in mind that only DIS members responded to the poll, so their 1% figure may be more correct. Realistically, I doubt DVC has immediate access to such figures, but taking those two pieces of data together, it sounds like 98-99% of people are probably getting their smoking preference met.

If you're getting a different impression by reading posts here, it's probably because people only take the time to post when they have a problem. Seeing 98 positive reports of smoking preference met for every 2 reports of not met makes for a pretty boring forum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter