Memorial Day Weekend Meal

mmackeymouse

DIS Veteran
Good afternoon, pals!

My mom and I are visiting for a quick Memorial Day weekend trip. I was able to get some excellent airfare, and had some DVC points to burn, so...decided to go for it, even though it will be a quick trip.

We will be staying at the Polynesian one night and Grand Floridian the next two nights.

Because of the quick nature of the trip, we will probably just do one sit-down meal, and then the rest will be quick-service, pool bar, Disney Springs every man for themself kind of thing.

I've narrowed it down to:

1) 1900 Park Fare Breakfast- never eaten here but it's been on the bucket list (to be fair, because of the characters, which they are no longer featuring) for a while, and with it being open shortly, I feel like it might be a sign. I don't think we necessarily *need* a buffet, but I do like that it would offer a different variety of options. The menu looks A+.

2) Grand Floridian Cafe Blunch- I've been, but Mom hasn't. Now, this was my initial plan, before we knew 1900 Park Fare was re-opening. I think it has a good variety for both me and my mom. I will say that some of the photos and videos I've seen lately have me concerned. Portions are looking kind of pitiful. Especially the chicken and waffle, which is likely what I would get...a recent video I saw, the chicken portion was tiny. So...I'm hesitant.

3) Hoop Dee Doo Revue- Another never done. But, I know the food is exactly right both of our alleys. I am not so sure on the show part of it. But...at the same time, it feels like as good a time as any to test it out with just the two of us, rather than a booking for the whole entire family and spend a boatload of money, just to find out it's not really the fam's cup of tea.

4) Boma Breakfast- I've been, Mom hasn't. I adore this buffet, and the price in comparison to 1900 Park Fare is a substantial break. It's also not quite as convenient. I think it gives us all the variety of 1900 Park Fare, but maybe takes my mom a small step outside her comfort zone, but in a good way. But...no strawberry soup, sadly.

Which would you choose and why? TIA!

Good afternoon, pals!

My mom and I are visiting for a quick Memorial Day weekend trip. I was able to get some excellent airfare, and had some DVC points to burn, so...decided to go for it, even though it will be a quick trip.

We will be staying at the Polynesian one night and Grand Floridian the next two nights.

Because of the quick nature of the trip, we will probably just do one sit-down meal, and then the rest will be quick-service, pool bar, Disney Springs every man for themself kind of thing.

1) 1900 Park Fare Breakfast- never eaten here but it's been on the bucket list (to be fair, because of the characters, which they are no longer featuring) for a while, and with it being open shortly, I feel like it might be a sign. I don't think we necessarily *need* a buffet, but I do like that it would offer a different variety of options. The menu looks A+.

2) Grand Floridian Cafe Blunch- I've been, but Mom hasn't. Now, this was my initial plan, before we knew 1900 Park Fare was re-opening. I think it has a good variety for both me and my mom. I will say that some of the photos and videos I've seen lately have me concerned. Portions are looking kind of pitiful. Especially the chicken and waffle, which is likely what I would get...a recent video I saw, the chicken portion was tiny. So...I'm hesitant.

3) Hoop Dee Doo Revue- Another never done. But, I know the food is exactly right both of our alleys. I am not so sure on the show part of it. But...at the same time, it feels like as good a time as any to test it out with just the two of us, rather than a booking for the whole entire family and spend a boatload of money, just to find out it's not really the fam's cup of tea.

4) Boma Breakfast- I've been, Mom hasn't. I adore this buffet, and the price in comparison to 1900 Park Fare is a substantial break. It's also not quite as convenient. I think it gives us all the variety of 1900 Park Fare, but maybe takes my mom a small step outside her comfort zone, but in a good way. But...no strawberry soup, sadly.

I agree with PP, Hoop Dee Doo would be my pick with Boma coming in second.

Hoop Dee Doo is more than a meal - it's a show, plus the whole experience of going to Ft. W - it's so fun! If you book, consider getting to Ft. W prior to 5 pm to see the horses at the stable and also consider booking a horse wagon ride after the show (I would try to book about 2.5 hours after your showtime) - it makes for such a fun evening.

I've been to both 1900 Park Fare and Grand Floridian Cafe. I am not a fan of the characters they are bringing to the new 1900 - they don't make sense together, IMHO. I was not a fan of the food at GFC the last time I was there.

Good afternoon, pals!

Hoop Dee doo by a mile. Hoop Dee doo will be memorable and something you won’t forget. Each of the other spots you mentioned will be forgotten by the time you walk out of the restaurant. Once you’ve been to one breakfast buffet you’ve been to all of them. Nothing else like hoop Dee doo on property along with the charm of the fort.

Thanks guys!

My only concern with Hoop Dee Doo is the noise. My mom has hearing issues. She is basically deaf without her hearing aids. The hearing aids are a huge help, but they can get a little glitchy, especially when there is interference coming through.

Even with the hearing aids, her biggest struggle tends to be in a crowd, or when there are multiple sources of noise coming from various areas. For example, when we get together with family at Christmas, and some people are in the kitchen playing a board game, some people are in the living room having conversations, the TV is on....she doesn't really hear any of it.....she just hears a swirling of all the noise together, if that makes sense.

Now, she can do shows. For example, we were on the Wish a year and a half ago, and she was perfectly fine watching the shows in the theater. But, with HDD, between the show and the audience noise and the music....I think it could be a lot.

Not ruling it out....it's just one concern I have.

Thanks guys!

My only concern with Hoop Dee Doo is the noise. My mom has hearing issues. She is basically deaf without her hearing aids. The hearing aids are a huge help, but they can get a little glitchy, especially when there is interference coming through.

Even with the hearing aids, her biggest struggle tends to be in a crowd, or when there are multiple sources of noise coming from various areas. For example, when we get together with family at Christmas, and some people are in the kitchen playing a board game, some people are in the living room having conversations, the TV is on....she doesn't really hear any of it.....she just hears a swirling of all the noise together, if that makes sense.

Now, she can do shows. For example, we were on the Wish a year and a half ago, and she was perfectly fine watching the shows in the theater. But, with HDD, between the show and the audience noise and the music....I think it could be a lot.

Not ruling it out....it's just one concern I have.
I was going to suggest Hoop Dee Doo too but can understand your concern. The singing can get pretty loud, and there’s some audience participation. But I think that if she enjoyed the shows on the Wish, she’d hopefully be okay with HDD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter