Memphis area Dissers

pooch

Still feeling special!!
DH has requested a road trip to Memphis for Blues & BBQ, end of sept So I turn to you all for everything I need to know to plan the trip, best route from CT (looking for interesting over fast). Where to stay, and especially the best BBQ!!! Ok, just checked & it's 1200 miles!!!! Too far to drive so scratch directions. We'll have to fly. But all other suggestions, tips welcome

I'm not from Memphis but I have stayed at the Madison Hotel in Downtown Memphis. Best BBQ Germantown Commissary. Loved Tamp and Tap for great coffee and breakfast. Also Restaurant Iris for a nice meal.

Our big Barbecue "Happening" is in May, I don't know what is supposed to be in September. I tried Google, but it wasn't helpful.

Doesn't have to be a "happening". Never been so it's all new to us

DH has requested a road trip to Memphis for Blues & BBQ, end of sept So I turn to you all for everything I need to know to plan the trip, best route from CT (looking for interesting over fast). Where to stay, and especially the best BBQ!!! Ok, just checked & it's 1200 miles!!!! Too far to drive so scratch directions. We'll have to fly. But all other suggestions, tips welcome

Beale Street, of course, for several Blues places. Lots of interesting museums downtown, tours of Gibson Guitar. Check the Memphis Convention and Tourist Bureau website for helpful info and coupons for several places. BB King's on Beale is cool, but music is everywhere.

Graceland is still a fascinating tourist site....it's visiting the 50's all over again.

BBQ is everywhere....best places are Cozy Corner (near downtown), and Corky's on Poplar Avenue. Most tourists like to visit the famous Rendezvous downtown for ribs....I don't care for them, though.

Lots of neat places to stay downtown....the Madison is awesome but rather expensive, there are a couple of nice chain hotels, and The Peabody with the famous marching ducks. There is also a very nice , but costly, hotel in Harbortown downtown, steps from the Mississippi River.

Keep in mind that our zoo is one of the top 5 zoos in the country.

Naysayers always come to these threads and talk about the crime in Memphis, and how dangerous we are. Use the common sense you would use in any large, urban city- lock car doors and be mindful of your environment.

I love Memphis...and the end of September it should be a bit cooler and less humid!

Great advice. Truly crime is present everywhere so that's no reason not to go. DD and I go to NYC frequently with never an issue Common sense helps!!

We were just in Memphis a few weeks ago and ate BBQ at Rendezvous. It was the best ribs I ever had. Also, definitely go to Graceland and do the Sun Studio tour. We actually stayed at The Heartbreak Hotel. lol

Visit the Peabody hotel at 11 or 5 to see the duck march.

My bbq votes go to Corky's and the Germantown Commissary. I would also recommend the zoo and Mud Island to visit.

I love to visit the Memphis area. Would love to go back soon.

so we'd have to fly & rent a car. How bad/troublesome is staying in a hotel say 10 miles away from the center of Memphis? Looking at a marriott property on 240? Would be about half the price of a downtown hotel. Are there parking issues?

so we'd have to fly & rent a car. How bad/troublesome is staying in a hotel say 10 miles away from the center of Memphis? Looking at a marriott property on 240? Would be about half the price of a downtown hotel. Are there parking issues?

Well, 240 is more likely the center of Memphis. But it's an easy drive to downtown from anywhere, there are plenty of public garages downtown (one near Beale, at the Peabody, one on Mud Island, etc.), lots of pay lots, metered street parking.

Which Marriott exactly are you looking at ( I am thinking of one near 240 where I wouldn't stay). And there are several nice Marriotts, Courtyards, Hamptons on Poplar, on Park, with easy access to interstate and downtown.

Fairfield inn I-240 & Perkins? Another on Macon cove? Sleep hollow dr in Southaven?

I, personally, wouldn't do the 1-240 and Perkins. Southaven is in Mississippi, but you'd be able to get to the downtown area quickly (however, be warned, that one is right off Goodman Rd., which is probably the most congested road in DeSoto County). I believe there is a Fairfield Suites downtown... Or maybe I'm thinking of a SpringHill. It's been a minute since I've been downtown.

My vote for BBQ is Central BBQ. (But everything else mentioned is good too. It's really hard to go wrong!) There are also alot of other great restaurants to check out too. Memphis has stepped it's game up lately in the food dept.

Definitely check out the zoo! Maybe also the Pink Palace? Stop by the Peabody Hotel and see the ducks! (Have a drink at the corner bar and people watch!) Memphis Redbirds games are fun at Autozone Park (though I don't know when the season will end).

I know I'm forgetting some things.

I'll step in here, it's the area on that I-240 and Perkins location. Don't make hotel reservations until you check here, really.

And I thought you were looking for a festival or something, called Blues & BBQ; there are some with that type of name, but we don't have one of them.

I love Rendezvous ribs, and the atmosphere there is unbeatable. Germantown Commissary is a long way from downtown Memphis. Central BBQ is a good place, and not as far.

A definite no to the 240 and Perkins area.....used to be a great, "happening" area, now no way. I've been in that hotel, too, and it is not great. No to Macon Cove as well. I have not been to the Southaven one, but am betting it would be okay, just in a busy area.

Yes, please check here and/or trip advisor.

Ok, how about Germantown? Area? Distance from where we'd want to go each day? Is that where the commissary is? Cannot thank you all enough for all the info. I really dislike going on vacation blind! Thank you all for being my eyes. :)

Germantown very good area, but certain times of the day trying to get downtown is ugly. There is a lot of construction on the interstate, so main traffic arteries are clogged. If you can avoid rush hours, Germantown would be your best bet, probably, if you don't stay downtown. And yes, the Commissary is there.

Germantown very good area, but certain times of the day trying to get downtown is ugly. There is a lot of construction on the interstate, so main traffic arteries are clogged. If you can avoid rush hours, Germantown would be your best bet, probably, if you don't stay downtown. And yes, the Commissary is there.

Agree...Germantown is a nice suburb, but a good 20-25 minutes from downtown. Traffic to and from Germantown can be time-consuming.

Let me name a few that are right in the middle of town and you can check out the costs...
Doubletree on Sanderlin
Hampton Inn at 5320 Poplar
Hampton Inn Walnut Grove Rd. at 33 Humphreys Center
Hyatt Place on Primacy Parkway
Marriott East at5795 Poplar
Marriott on Thousand Oaks
did you check the Comfort Inn downtown on Front Street
Residence Inn on Poplar Pike

(and most of these are close to Corky's BBQ and 10-15 minutes to Central BBQ)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter