Men, when growing up and playing sports

Even though this particular post was from 2019, I have to admit to a concern about the coach cup check. Seems a little strange to me. Where was that common?
When I played HS Baseball in the mid '90's the coach walked around with a little souvenir bat that was about 18 inches long and an inch or so in diameter. He would tap the cup with one end, if you were wearing one it made a distinctive sound. If you weren't, you either flinched before you got hit or it sounded a little squishy. He'd usually check the first week of practice and one of the first games, if everyone was wearing theirs then it wasn't checked again the rest of the year.
My two sons aged 6 and 9 played baseball for the first time this year. I made them both wear cups, they might have been the only ones on their teams that did.

Wore one when I was younger and parents told me to one wear one for baseball. Once I hit high school, I only wore one in baseball when catching. If I was playing OF or pitching, no go. I did wear one for football in high school. For college baseball, if anyone wore one, it was the infielders. But by that level, they know how to protect themselves when there is a bad hop.

Now that I coach high school age players in travel baseball, no one ever wears a cup unless they are catching. The umpire always asks at the plate meetings "are your players properly equipped?". Every coach always says yes and just gets on with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter