Menards Bah Humbug!

midwestdee

DIS Veteran
Christmas Eve, I purchased Christmas lights, # 2840957 - half price, $6.50. I went back today to get a few more boxes - they rang up $10.39!!!! I wanted to go home and look at my receipt. Went back - the little gal at Customer Service said, yeah, well, things go back up in price. Who in the heck heard of Christmas stuff going UP in price after Christmas! Total rip off. I hope American grandmothers everyone say to heck with Menard's Bah Humbug after Christmas sales!!!!

Christmas Eve, I purchased Christmas lights, # 2840957 - half price, $6.50. I went back today to get a few more boxes - they rang up $10.39!!!! I wanted to go home and look at my receipt. Went back - the little gal at Customer Service said, yeah, well, things go back up in price. Who in the heck heard of Christmas stuff going UP in price after Christmas! Total rip off. I hope American grandmothers everyone say to heck with Menard's Bah Humbug after Christmas sales!!!!

I guess I don't understand? You're upset because they gave you a discount on xmas eve but now you're upset because they want to charge you the price on the box?

Stacy

(accidentally posting under Chris' user name, ah the perils of being married)

Prices change. Did they advertise it as on sale? I would be glad for the price I got the first time.

One day, I saw a long sleeved tshirt for $5 on clearance at Walmart that had the name of our local high school on it. I didn't get it that day and went back the next. It was marked up to $11 and still on the same clearance rack!. I'm sure it said $5 the first time. I checked all of the shirts on the rack for size and price.

I was disappointed so I know how you feel, OP.

I went to my Menards here today and found the same thing! Almost everything was 50% off from 12/20-12/24 and now it was only 20% off.........Crazy! I left and went to Walmart and Ace Hardware. Never heard of a store increasing Christmas stuff prices after Christmas.

I went to my Menards here today and found the same thing! Almost everything was 50% off from 12/20-12/24 and now it was only 20% off.........Crazy! I left and went to Walmart and Ace Hardware. Never heard of a store increasing Christmas stuff prices after Christmas.

They aren't really increasing the price, the % off is a sale. Your items were on sale for 50% off 12/20-12/24 now that sale has ended and a different one is in effect.
20% off after Christmas sales isn't common but there is no rule that all stores have to mark their stuff down 50% or more after the holiday.

They aren't really increasing the price, the % off is a sale. Your items were on sale for 50% off 12/20-12/24 now that sale has ended and a different one is in effect.
20% off after Christmas sales isn't common but there is no rule that all stores have to mark their stuff down 50% or more after the holiday.

We bought lights at 50% off sale as well. Menards also does a Dutch auction which I believe (if I recall correctly) starts at 20% and then increases (daily?) for a little while (a week of so). It is a kinda funny sales practice but it clears the shelves of merchandise!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I have never heard of a retailer raising the prices on Christmas merchandise after Christmas. Can anybody tell me somebody else that does this? THAT is what is so aggravating. At our Menards, they don't have one of those scan for the price machines and the whole seasonal department is a hodge podge of sale signs, and I personally think the average person would just assume the price is lower than it would have been before Christmas. While they have the right to do whatever they want, I think it is deceptive. You sure don't see them advertising "stop in for our post Christmas price increases on seasonal merchandise!". I emailed all my friends right away to make sure they didn't put Menards on their after Christmas stops.

Menards treat their employees horrible, we rarely go to that store anymore..I would of returned them..

I have never heard of a retailer raising the prices on Christmas merchandise after Christmas. Can anybody tell me somebody else that does this? THAT is what is so aggravating. At our Menards, they don't have one of those scan for the price machines and the whole seasonal department is a hodge podge of sale signs, and I personally think the average person would just assume the price is lower than it would have been before Christmas. While they have the right to do whatever they want, I think it is deceptive. You sure don't see them advertising "stop in for our post Christmas price increases on seasonal merchandise!". I emailed all my friends right away to make sure they didn't put Menards on their after Christmas stops.

As was pointed out a couple of posts above, the 50% off was a dutch auction % off sale, that has now ended. That sale is over. They are now offering a different % off for their current sale. They did not raise the prices.
Now if the department is a mess and signs are not marked clearly, that is a different issue. My Menards store does have price scanners.

I used the wrong wording.....I fully understand they aren't increasing the price and have the right to do what they please with their sales. None of the other stores in my area (Nebraska) lowered their percentage off their holiday decor.......I just think it's weird.

I have a love hate relationship with Menards and I've determined that if I want to buy the stuff I want to buy there, I have to put up with their stupidity, but I really limit what I buy there - because they are stupid and it drives me nuts. NOTHING there is easy and sales do tend to be particularly random. And the two stores closest to me seem to carry different inventory.

We encountered the same thing yesterday at Menards. You would think they would want to rid their shelves of Christmas items instead of holding on to them as long as possible. I like stores who mark seasonal items down quickly such as Target and JoAnn's. It was so strange to see Menard's reduce their %off AFTER the season was over. SMH

My husband always teases me that Menard's is my favorite store - and I still agree! Just have to watch the signs to see what the prices are. It's not unusual to see prices raise and lower at Kohl's either.

My friend works at Menards. They don't clearance out most their Christmas merchandise. They save it and put it out next year.

I'm curious why people say they don't treat their employees well? I don't usually go there, but it's because their location isn't convenient for me.

Menards is my 2nd fave store - after Target. I have quite a few friends work there over the years and they rave about how good they are to work for. I have never run into pricing issues or unorganized stock, either. Kind of shocking to hear that the stores are not run consistently across the board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter