Merged Irma impact on The Fort threads here

At the risk of being flamed, I'm just going to say that YES I'd be very disappointed to miss my vacation but I'm not flooded, I have power, my house isn't destroyed - all things that are a real issue for those in Fla. I think it would be good to get all this in perspective. Disney didn't plan this and I am sure (since they are loosing a ton of money) they are doing everything to get back open as quickly as possible. We are supposed to check in 9/23. I did speak to our Disney travel agent today and she said reservations for Fort Wilderness and Hoop De Do Review opened up beginning 9/20 so WDW is planning to open up that day. Now I'm focused on finding out if I can find gas for the Moho In SC, GA & Fla

I'm not flaming you either, but I do want to be clear that the frustration has been about the lack of communication, not the fact that we might not be able to make our vacations. Absolutely the most important thing is the after-effects of the hurricane. As someone who went through it I am extremely thankful and blessed that we didn't have any damage. We just needed to get a straight answer because our check-in dates were so close. I hope that the opening date of the 20th is good and that this will be a memory for everyone soon.

checking into a cabin the 24th-1st....we are crossing our fingers and holding out hope that it will be okay by that point, but I hate not having any idea what we are suppose to do as far as our plan b options. Spoke to CM today who assured me that if the fort is not opened there would be rooms available. So, that's great.. I then asked, "Can I go ahead and switch for my own sanity?" of course i was told no (in the nicest Disney way possible) yes, I wanted to stay at the fort but id rather know whats happening and where we are staying... but I do get it, we have family and friends in areas effected by the hurricane, and i am thankful that this vacation option is still on the table. an But the communication factor that has been mentioned is an issue. and I am trying hard not to turn into a vacationzilla. LOL.

Also- question to anyone who is flying/ using magic express.. this is literally the first time we have attempted to use disney transportation for our whole trip and this situation most certainly will complicate it IF the fort is still closed on the 24th...when we arrive at the airport, are we still suppose to fly in and then ump on the magic express bus and go ... to the fort? And then if its closed, someone is taking us to our actual resort? Im curious how this works if anyone has done this yet.The CM wasn't really that helpful.. just kept assuring me they are trying to get it opened next week, but I'm like "yeah- but what if? id still like to figure this out " If I did't already have a flight booked Id probably feel more comfortable just driving the 17 hours so I won't be at the mercy of disney transportation in this unique situation. And i'm assuming the yellow magic express tags stamped with "Fort Wilderness" won't get to be used (if we want to see our luggage again, right?)

CthtuluMICKEY as someone that has a few 24's I suggest THE SERENITY PRAYER is might be an option to consider. I understand you are frustrated and unable to get the information you feel you are entitled to and that YOUR unique situation isn't being given the consideration You think it deserves. Just have to ask did DISNEY ask about your circumstances when you made your reservation When my old partner, she and her wife along with a straight female friend booked a few years ago they weren't, so I have to wonder if they changed policies ( FYI they had a great time sharing a room in The Caribbean Beach and Vacationing at Disney.) Right now I am guessing Disney is doing the best it can. Irma for only the 5th time since it opened in 1971 to close . Ft W and The Tree houses are unique in that each campsite , cabin, or Treehouse is a stand alone unit that does share a road,Cable, Power, Water and sewer line with the other units in the other loops While in most of the other resorts, if one section or a portion of a section that can can be more easily shut down and a second cookie cutter room substituted.
So again I suggest you recite THE SERENITY PRAYER and repeat as required. As my first sponsor one told me That may happen but it's not happening right now. Lets see how things come to be and well deal with it then!"

I cant tell how much of this is legitimate concern or not. I don't want to sound dramatic. Im not that frustrated.

DISNEY'S website has the resort I'm checking into in 6 days, listed as CLOSED INDEFINITELY and I haven't even received a phone call yet. I don't need PRAYERS, I need DISNEY to pick up the ball they've dropped. Let's be realistic. Any guest, not just myself is deserving of a phone call. The place has been closed for a week now. I'm sure the CM's are all doing what they are told and that includes what they are not doing.

I am also sure they are working around the clock to get the place up and running, but the only reason I even know any of this is happening is because I tinker around on message boards like these out of excitement for my trip. Let that sink. Disney still has yet to even tell me about the situation, directly.

Im surprised. I always find their Customer Service to superb and all I can assume is that the people on the Ground; the CM's, their supervisors and managers, have not been given the go ahead to address this properly from the powers above, in an effort to make them work harder.

No one reasonable expects everything to go their way all the time, but to suggest that I'm being selfish here is a reach. The hurricane was a tragedy for many. Let's not displace our upset over that onto Disney World. They have more contingency in their budget than any people in the hurricane's path can dream of. It's not selfish for Guests to expect a phone call or an email with options in lieu of the circumstances.

That said, I remain positive. I can have a great time at Disney even if I have to stay at the Hilton Orlando or something. I just hope that should it come down to something like that, Disney will at least honor the rest of the package.

Last edited:
There were several reports on Facebook today of guests showing up at Fort Wilderness to check in and being given options on where to stay until The Fort reopens. It's quite clear Disney has the situation well under control and have plans for everyone. It also appears clear they do not have the manpower right now to devote individual attention to every incoming guest before they get there. I'm guessing there will be some takeaways from this event of what they should do better, and communication seems a big one, but overall, the fact that they seem to have a spot for everyone coming in, and have gone out of their way for people who have managed to get through to make sure accommodations are acceptable, is pretty good given the circumstances.

There were several reports on Facebook today of guests showing up at Fort Wilderness to check in and being given options on where to stay until The Fort reopens. It's quite clear Disney has the situation well under control and have plans for everyone. It also appears clear they do not have the manpower right now to devote individual attention to every incoming guest before they get there. I'm guessing there will be some takeaways from this event of what they should do better, and communication seems a big one, but overall, the fact that they seem to have a spot for everyone coming in, and have gone out of their way for people who have managed to get through to make sure accommodations are acceptable, is pretty good given the circumstances.

I'm sorry, let people feel what they feel. There's no need for telling people how to feel during a time when everyone is stressed. And believe me, I still don't have power at home so I understand stressed. Disney communication for guests checking in at the Fort in the immediate future SUCKS and they dropped the ball. They've only been in Florida, for what, 50 years?

I'm sorry, let people feel what they feel. There's no need for telling people how to feel during a time when everyone is stressed. And believe me, I still don't have power at home so I understand stressed. Disney communication for guests checking in at the Fort in the immediate future SUCKS and they dropped the ball. They've only been in Florida, for what, 50 years?
Only 45. So we have another 5 years to go before their ability to shoot out a mass email goes into effect. :tongue:

We are scheduled to check in on 9/21 in a tent site. I'm torn between hoping they get everything cleaned up to open on 9/20, and thinking how nice it would be to stay in a resort (at tent price!) and not have to set up the tent and all that goes with tent camping, lol.

Maybe Disney
I cant tell how much of this is legitimate concern or not. I don't want to sound dramatic. Im not that frustrated.

DISNEY'S website has the resort I'm checking into in 6 days, listed as CLOSED INDEFINITELY and I haven't even received a phone call yet. I don't need PRAYERS, I need DISNEY to pick up the ball they've dropped. Let's be realistic. Any guest, not just myself is deserving of a phone call. The place has been closed for a week now. I'm sure the CM's are all doing what they are told and that includes what they are not doing.

I am also sure they are working around the clock to get the place up and running, but the only reason I even know any of this is happening is because I tinker around on message boards like these out of excitement for my trip. Let that sink. Disney still has yet to even tell me about the situation directly.

Im surprised. I always find their Customer Service to superb and all I can assume is that the people on the Ground; the CM's, their supervisors and managers, have not been given the go ahead to address this properly from the powers above, in an effort to make them work harder.

No one expects everything to go there way all the time, but to suggest that I'm being selfish here is maybe a reach. The hurrican was a tragedy for many. Let's not displace our upset over that onto Disney World. They have more contingency in their budget than any people in the hurricane's path can dream of. It's not selfish for Guests to expect a phone call and options in lieu of the circumstances.

That said, I remain positive. I can have a great time at Disney even if I have to stay at the Hilton Orlando or something. I just hope that should it come down to something like that, Disney will at least honor the rest of the package.

I am hoping the reason Disney hasn't contacted you yet is because they are confident that FW will be open by your arrival date. It seems like the initial closure was through 9/17 and that got bumped to through 9/19 to reopen on 9/20 and since then there hasn't been another date change that I have seen. So I have my fingers crossed that they are on track for the 9/20 opening and will be all set for you on 9/23!!

But I understand your feelings - we are set to check into the cabins on 9/27 and I am watching these boards closely.

If Disney isn't completely confident they are going to reopen on 9/20 then they should be proactively reaching out to people like you with upcoming check-in dates.

Maybe Disney

I am hoping the reason Disney hasn't contacted you yet is because they are confident that FW will be open by your arrival date. It seems like the initial closure was through 9/17 and that got bumped to through 9/19 to reopen on 9/20 and since then there hasn't been another date change that I have seen. So I have my fingers crossed that they are on track for the 9/20 opening and will be all set for you on 9/23!!

But I understand your feelings - we are set to check into the cabins on 9/27 and I am watching these boards closely.

If Disney isn't completely confident they are going to reopen on 9/20 then they should be proactively reaching out to people like you with upcoming check-in dates.

Just to provide a heads up, someone on another board has reported that Disney moved them to Coronado Springs and even let them keep their dog in the room. Im not quite sure where the info regarding these people not being helped is coming from or why most seem to be reporting positive experiences.

The writer also has been told the resort will reopen Wednesday. Fingers crossed!

I just read that Trails End restaurant was not taking reservations on the 19th but have many reservations available on the 20th! So that has to say something... right???

We have cabin reservations 9/21-9/25 and when speaking to many different CM's was told they are fully booked during those dates. So my options were to wait and see if they would be open on those dates or get a refund. Anyone else having this issue? My concern is when I will actually receive my refund. If I have to book with a nonDisney resort, I am fine with that so we can keep our vacation dates, but I need my refund to be able to do that. Anyone have any info on this?

My concern is when I will actually receive my refund.

I use my debit card to make reservations, and the few times that I had to cancel my refund was usually in my account in 4 - 5 days. I have heard the same thing about CC on other forums, but it won't show on your statement until the following cycle.

We were due to check in on Tuesday and have been moved to OKW for the one night. CM seemed very confident about the campground opening on Wednesday. Here's hoping it turns out to be the case :)

I hope you are right. All signs (people with reservations, Trails End ADR's, etc.) seem to be pointing to Wednesday.

Bama Ed

checking into a cabin the 24th-1st....we are crossing our fingers and holding out hope that it will be okay by that point, but I hate not having any idea what we are suppose to do as far as our plan b options. Spoke to CM today who assured me that if the fort is not opened there would be rooms available. So, that's great.. I then asked, "Can I go ahead and switch for my own sanity?" of course i was told no (in the nicest Disney way possible) yes, I wanted to stay at the fort but id rather know whats happening and where we are staying... but I do get it, we have family and friends in areas effected by the hurricane, and i am thankful that this vacation option is still on the table. an But the communication factor that has been mentioned is an issue. and I am trying hard not to turn into a vacationzilla. LOL.

Also- question to anyone who is flying/ using magic express.. this is literally the first time we have attempted to use disney transportation for our whole trip and this situation most certainly will complicate it IF the fort is still closed on the 24th...when we arrive at the airport, are we still suppose to fly in and then ump on the magic express bus and go ... to the fort? And then if its closed, someone is taking us to our actual resort? Im curious how this works if anyone has done this yet.The CM wasn't really that helpful.. just kept assuring me they are trying to get it opened next week, but I'm like "yeah- but what if? id still like to figure this out " If I did't already have a flight booked Id probably feel more comfortable just driving the 17 hours so I won't be at the mercy of disney transportation in this unique situation. And i'm assuming the yellow magic express tags stamped with "Fort Wilderness" won't get to be used (if we want to see our luggage again, right?)

Yeah, your question, "Can I go ahead and switch for my own sanity?" is something I'm very concerned about as we get closer to "opening" day. What I don't want to happen is to drive my camper down there for check in on the 23rd, and be asked to spend a couple nights in a hotel room, and then have to switch back to the campground. I'd rather just go straight down into a room vs. having to switch. I mean, it takes time to set up and I'd rather not spend my precious, carefully allotted minutes at Disney switching my lodging and setting up the camper mid week. So, it is concerning to me that they didn't give you that option. My husband has been busily looking at plan B's today and I am not liking my options.... I so wish they would post an update. I feel like if they don't open Wednesday, we're canceling.

Cccrys,

I'm here now. Relocated to OKW. I agree the moving on a park day will be a pain. We rearranged our plans since arriving to make the switch easier.

All things are really pointing to a reopening on this Wednesday. Unless they are really off, I wouldn't worry about the 23rd.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter