• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Merging on a Highway

This is a scenario where I love the fact that I am an early EV adopter.

My cars have the acceleration to allow me to safely put my car wherever I want to put it when merging.

If I want to be ahead of the person because that is where I think the safest merge will occur I can accelerate past them and merge before they even realize anything has happened.

It is the duty of the merging person to get up to speed and merge (safely!) into traffic. But, as others have noticed, if you are able to adjust (by changing speed slightly or moving over a lane), it's common courtesy. However, you as the driver already on the highway do have the right of way.

It seems to me people have forgotten this. I see lots of people trying to merge at whatever speed they want, and then get mad when others don't accommodate them (especially when traffic is heavier and people in the right lane can't necessarily get over to make room). If you are merging, then you need to get your vehicle to a point where you can merge into already-established traffic.

This is a scenario where I love the fact that I am an early EV adopter.

My cars have the acceleration to allow me to safely put my car wherever I want to put it when merging.

If I want to be ahead of the person because that is where I think the safest merge will occur I can accelerate past them and merge before they even realize anything has happened.
I don't understand what driving an EV has to do with that. ICE cars can accelerate too. And the merging driver probably thought OP was going to move over so didn't think there was a need to accelerate more than "normal".

My recent "poor driver" situation... near my home we have a one lane tunnel that goes under the interstate. If there's no oncoming traffic when you get there, you don't need to stop. If there is traffic waiting at the other end (and yes, you CAN see the traffic), you're supposed to alternate vehicles in each direction (one E bound car, one W bound car, etc).

I was coming E bound and a car also heading E was just exiting the tunnel with a W bound car waiting. So I waited for the E bound car to exit, and the W bound car to proceed. TWO other W bound cars followed. Not a proud moment for me, but I indicated those two other cars were "#1 in my mind" as they went by.

I don't understand what driving an EV has to do with that. ICE cars can accelerate too. And the merging driver probably thought OP was going to move over so didn't think there was a need to accelerate more than "normal".

I drive an eclectic hybrid. My car, which looks like an innocent Honda sedan, can accelerate instantly and blindingly fast.

I drive an eclectic hybrid. My car, which looks like an innocent Honda sedan, can accelerate instantly and blindingly fast.
True, but you as the driver still have to understand the concept of acelerating to match traffic. It does absolutely no good if your car accelerates really fast, but you don't see the need to do so.

(Please note I'm using the royal "you" and not commenting specifically on your driving habits. And I get too that there were comments about some on ramps being incredibly short and not allowing enough time to get up to speed. But in the end it ultimately comes down to the driver being prepared to get to a speed to safely merge into traffic.)

True, but you as the driver still have to understand the concept of acelerating to match traffic. It does absolutely no good if your car accelerates really fast, but you don't see the need to do so.

(Please note I'm using the royal "you" and not commenting specifically on your driving habits. And I get too that there were comments about some on ramps being incredibly short and not allowing enough time to get up to speed. But in the end it ultimately comes down to the driver being prepared to get to a speed to safely merge into traffic.)
I think what @kdonnel was saying is that he could stomp on the accelerator and zip past someone who wouldn't allow him to merge once he was at speed. The acceleration of an EV at speed is pretty amazing. I often forget that I have instant horsepower and drive like I still have an ICE ... which is OK since it's safer to drive like people expect you to drive.

There is no comparison between the acceleration of an EV and an ICE car until you get to the supercar territory.

If I feel like it is safest for me to merge ahead of someone rather than behind them, unless they are in an EV or a Bugatti, I can merge in front of them even in my econ box looking Bolt EV.

You were right.

I think a lot of drivers have completely forgotten HOW to merge, though. It's an ACCELERATION LANE, people. So often I get stuck behind someone who's STOPPED in the acceleration lane because they failed to merge properly.
Around here with old roads there are actually signs on the entrances in many places that say 'No Merge Area" and if there is a lot of traffic one HAS to stop.
My favorite are the braking mergers. Why.
I agree the OP was in the right, but obviously the person who wanted to merge needed to brake to slow down and merge behind him since he was right along side.

Around here with old roads there are actually signs on the entrances in many places that say 'No Merge Area" and if there is a lot of traffic one HAS to stop.

I agree the OP was in the right, but obviously the person who wanted to merge needed to brake to slow down and merge behind him since he was right along side.

Right I understand, I was speaking more in generalities and not really this specific circumstance. There are a couple short merges around here but most of them are abundantly long, and I'm not sure if people are fearful of highway driving or what, but they apply brakes in the very long merge area instead of getting their car up to speed to make a successful merge in flow of traffic.

I would speed up a bit but you don’t have to.
You legally had the right of way. But it's still a jerk move not to either speed up, slow down, or move over. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. In a case like you described, with light traffic, it costs exactly zero to be nice.

I was already doing 75-80 on a 65mph highway. This is a long on ramp with a ton of time to merge in. They had plenty of time to be anywhere other than exactly where I was.

There is no comparison between the acceleration of an EV and an ICE car until you get to the supercar territory.

If I feel like it is safest for me to merge ahead of someone rather than behind them, unless they are in an EV or a Bugatti, I can merge in front of them even in my econ box looking Bolt EV.
My son is on his third EV and there is no question they are quick. But when you stomp on the accelerator, the state of charge meter drops just like in an ICE car's gas gauge does when you stomp on the accelerator.

It is the duty of the merging person to get up to speed and merge (safely!) into traffic.
Unless you're driving a rental car on the Autobahn, apparently. When my ex's parents rented a car in Germany, the rental clerk asked if they were planning to drive the Autobahn. When they said yes, he said, "OK, here's what you do. When you hit the entrance ramp, close your eyes and hit the gas. They'll see the rental car and get out of YOUR way. Don't even try to figure it out."

They lived to tell the tale, so I guess it worked for them lol

You were right.

I think a lot of drivers have completely forgotten HOW to merge, though. It's an ACCELERATION LANE, people. So often I get stuck behind someone who's STOPPED in the acceleration lane because they failed to merge properly.
When I got my Driver's License in 1973 they were known as acceleration lanes. But now in California we have Ramp Meters that require you to stop at the very end of the ramp, so people are merging onto a freeway from a complete stop. Not a fan of Ramp Meters for that reason, they are a safety hazard. And since they are generally activated by time of day, not traffic flow on the freeway, they cause a backup of cars at commute times on the surface streets leading to the freeway, when many times, those cars could safely merge onto the freeway without stopping and traffic is flowing at the speed limit.

There is actually some nuance here. In many states/provinces, the Highway Act/Code will state that the vehicle already on the highway has a "duty" to facilitate merging - meaning, for the most part, if you are in the right lane and see a car on the merge ramp you are supposed to, if safe, move out of that lane to allow the other car into that lane.
That's what I do since I don't trust the other driver will hold back.

My recent "poor driver" situation... near my home we have a one lane tunnel that goes under the interstate. If there's no oncoming traffic when you get there, you don't need to stop. If there is traffic waiting at the other end (and yes, you CAN see the traffic), you're supposed to alternate vehicles in each direction (one E bound car, one W bound car, etc).

I was coming E bound and a car also heading E was just exiting the tunnel with a W bound car waiting. So I waited for the E bound car to exit, and the W bound car to proceed. TWO other W bound cars followed. Not a proud moment for me, but I indicated those two other cars were "#1 in my mind" as they went by.
Yes, I feel extremely comfortable accelerating on a dime in my ICE car. I can pass with the best of them if I want to :thumbsup2

When I got my Driver's License in 1973 they were known as acceleration lanes. But now in California we have Ramp Meters that require you to stop at the very end of the ramp, so people are merging onto a freeway from a complete stop. Not a fan of Ramp Meters for that reason, they are a safety hazard. And since they are generally activated by time of day, not traffic flow on the freeway, they cause a backup of cars at commute times on the surface streets leading to the freeway, when many times, those cars could safely merge onto the freeway without stopping and traffic is flowing at the speed limit.
I've seen ramp meters in CA as well, though I've always seen them closer to the start of the ramp, not at the end. I guess it could depend on which city and how highways are set up in their area.

But I agree, those meters do make it harder to merge at the right speed. Whether you stop at the start of the ramp or the end, you still have less time to accelerate than if there was no meter at all.

I live in Chicago, and some of the on ramps there are incredibly short. And they're cloverleaf shaped. There is just no way you could get up to speed on them. Of course then you have people zipping along way above the speed limit, which doesn't help. It's a real hazard in certain parts.

I always try to stay aware of the other people driving on the road with me. In the situation the OP describes I would definitely have adjusted my speed or changed lanes. The person trying to merge into my lane almost always has a short pathway to manage that merge. It can be dangerous to drive as if you can pretend that your rights mean you can drive as if no one exists on the road except you.

I think the OP is asking for honest feedback because perhaps s/he is a fairly new driver and doesn't yet understand some of the nuances of driving safely and courteously. It is a kindness to be aware that merging into flowing traffic can be difficult, and working together makes things flow more easily. It can also prevent a really ugly accident. We're all going to be the merge-er and the merge-ee throughout a week of driving. Sometimes you're the windshield, but nobody wants to be the bug.

I live in Chicago, and some of the on ramps there are incredibly short. And they're cloverleaf shaped. There is just no way you could get up to speed on them. Of course then you have people zipping along way above the speed limit, which doesn't help. It's a real hazard in certain parts.

True. Old roadways. And lots of cars passing on the right AND doing way above the speed limit. Really bad is the I-90/I-290-53 interchange, even outside of rush hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter