Metal Tray "Environmentally Friendly Initiative" @ All-Star Music And All-Star Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming they will wash the trays, how is adding a piece of wax paper more environmentally friendly than using a real plate?

I just don't get it.

And if the trays are not being washed/ sanitized then Disney will not be getting my business or my children's (their future "money source").

I agree! seems we are trading a paper plate with wax paper?? Is the wax paper going into the landfill better than a paper plate going into the landfill?

I agree! seems we are trading a paper plate with wax paper?? Is the wax paper going into the landfill better than a paper plate going into the landfill?
As far as I know, the amount of resources required to produce wax paper is greater than a paper plate, so the wax paper would take even longer to degrade and could potentially cause pollution if the wax is plastic or not.

Just speculating... they could be using a biodegradable wax paper like this..Biodegradable Deli Paper, 500 pc - Unbleached Natural ...
It's possible, but knowing Disney, 'going green' is all about the bottom line that's designed to make them look good to keyboard greenies, but misses the point at the same time. It's open season for greenwashing at the moment, so I wouldn't be surprised if it did turn out that the wax paper wasn't as environmentally-friendly as what some might like to think.

It's possible, but knowing Disney, 'going green' is all about the bottom line that's designed to make them look good to keyboard greenies, but misses the point at the same time. It's open season for greenwashing at the moment, so I wouldn't be surprised if it did turn out that the wax paper wasn't as environmentally-friendly as what some might like to think.

You mean how Plastic Bags were going to save all the trees and make everything better. the problem is we make changes quickly without gathering all of the variables.

As I understand it, it's not the amount of plastic that was the problem, it's that you can't recycle the old shaped plastic, but you can the new, so it's a net "gain" for green. lol

Exactly. And a lot of the problem with the straws is how easily they end up in various parts of the anatomy of wildlife. Which is another reason the straw/lid combo is a win.

Always amazed at how resistant to change people are.
So how do you handle 4 different orders and only one person carrying all of it? I do this currently and only use 1 tray, because I could stack the plates by putting an extra plate on top and stack and so on.

It amazes me how people can just except any change.

Like I said earlier, my solution to this change is that I will be telling them it's "to go".

Exactly. And a lot of the problem with the straws is how easily they end up in various parts of the anatomy of wildlife. Which is another reason the straw/lid combo is a win.

Yep, and they (Starbucks) aren't stopping with the new design, they've reported they are working to come up with new material for their cups, lids, etc... that are capable of being used with the high temp liquids they sell, and will be much more biodegradable. It will take us all some time and experimentation (as a society), but I think we'll get there eventually.

You mean how Plastic Bags were going to save all the trees and make everything better. the problem is we make changes quickly without gathering all of the variables.
Plastic bags have a higher reuse potential than paper bags, so they're more likely going to be reused than paper bags, and likewise any other 'disposable' item - paper or plastic. Even if bags may seem to be conflated with 'single-use' due to them, especially thin vest bags one would get in the average Walmart, often being used as a 'poster child' for plastic waste, there's the argument that they're actually reusable, and Disney ones in particular are often reused, due to them being better than, for example, Walmart's, for many purposes beyond that of a binliner.

I wonder if you request a plate would that wish be granted? I never ate off of wax paper on a tray but Ive never eaten at a BBQ place either. At the Poly in Oct I ordered the allergy waffles and they served them in a box. I should have asked for a plate but made the best of my box.

I had dinner the night they had fried chicken. I nicely told the girl I wanted my meal on paper plates as I didn't like the prison trays. She had no problem giving me paper plates and told me that they don't like the metal trays either. I was on the dining plan so received a drink/snack with my meals. I needed to use another tray to carry everything.

We had the breakfast flatbread for breakfast (which is delicious) and got it on a prison tray which then went on a
brown tray to help carry the breakfast and the OJ. DH went to throw the trash away and accidentally threw out the metal tray. I'm sure he wasn't the only one to accidentally throw one out.

Last edited:
Yep, and they (Starbucks) aren't stopping with the new design, they've reported they are working to come up with new material for their cups, lids, etc... that are capable of being used with the high temp liquids they sell, and will be much more biodegradable. It will take us all some time and experimentation (as a society), but I think we'll get there eventually.
Science is a wonderful thing after all. It'll find solutions that will please both sides and at the same time protect our precious planet without the need to lug around reusables all the time.

I am staying at Pop this summer so hopefully won’t affect me but I usually grab our breakfast in to go packaging to take back to the room for eating while we get ready. I assume they still have the plates with lids for that? Hopefully?

I am staying at Pop this summer so hopefully won’t affect me but I usually grab our breakfast in to go packaging to take back to the room for eating while we get ready. I assume they still have the plates with lids for that? Hopefully?
We will be at POP in November and I do the same thing. Our DDs wake up quicker when they know there's Mickey waffles in the room:)

Yes, there's still To Go containers available.

what???? is this real? that's just foolish..... what about all the plastic utensils and cup lids and paper cups etc etc etc? a true environmental move is switch back to regular plates and utensils and install dishwashers! this is just crazy.... the utensils just get to me IMHO so much wasted plastic

I assume they still have the plates with lids for that? Hopefully?
Yes.

World Premiere even has small boxes directly available for "dine-in" Guests to use as "doggie bags"-very convenient.:)

As of now anyway,Everything Pop is not doing what World Premiere and Intermission are doing,but no matter,to-go "packaging" will always be available I would think.

40007019313_dd83b7a13f_h.jpg

Yes.

World Premiere even has small boxes directly available for "dine-in" Guests to use as "doggie bags"-very convenient.:)

As of now anyway,Everything Pop is not doing what World Premiere and Intermission are doing,but no matter,to-go "packaging" will always be available I would think.

40007019313_dd83b7a13f_h.jpg
Thanks for posting. This is nice to know!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter