Michael Johns, American Idol alum, dies at 35

Robinrs

DIS Veteran
I'm sad and shocked, I was sooooo crazy about him....:sad:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...merican-idol-season-7-finalist-dies/13517573/

mjrobbed.jpg

Michael_Johns.jpg

MJEllenShow002_0001-1.jpg

This one is ironic: :sad1:

mjbanner.gif

A bloodclot :sad2: and so young. His poor wife and the rest of the family. Just goes to show how fragile life is.

Do the research and know the signs of a blood clot. I had one following the birth of my daughter in 1977, thankfully I got medical attention.

A bloodclot :sad2: and so young. His poor wife and the rest of the family. Just goes to show how fragile life is.

Do the research and know the signs of a blood clot. I had one following the birth of my daughter in 1977, thankfully I got medical attention.

My sister had a blood clot in her leg that almost killed her. She has knee problems and had traveled to a family reunion and was immobile for a few days when her son carried her to the hospital.

People don't realize that air travel for long periods of time can cause blood clots in the leg. I watch Dr G Medical Examiner on Discovery Channel,the ME for the county that includes WDW. She said she gets many tourists who traveled for long periods of time immobile and die when a clot forms and travels to the lungs or heart.

Thanks God my sister's was caught in time. She is on warfarin now and being closely monitored.

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/31/blood-clots-4-things-you-need-to-know/

2. Travelers have the highest risk

A large long-term study published in the journal PLoS One in 2007 found the more frequently a person travels, the higher their risk. This is because blood clots are generally caused by sluggish blood flow through the vein, usually from sitting in cramped positions for long periods of time. Experts say most cases of DVT develop on flights over four hours in length. Some studies show the cabin pressure of an airplane also plays a role. Most people think DVT strikes just older adults, but research shows that women taking birth control pills, people over 6 feet 1 inch tall, and adults under 30 are at increased risk.

More info from the CDC:
Protect Yourself and Reduce Your Risk of Blood Clots During Travel
Know what to look for. Be alert to the signs and symptoms of blood clots.
Talk with your doctor if you think you may be at risk for blood clots. If you have had a previous blood clot, or if a family member has a history of blood clots or an inherited clotting disorder, talk with your doctor to learn more about your individual risks.
Move your legs frequently when on long trips and exercise your calf muscles to improve the flow of blood. If you’ve been sitting for a long time, take a break to stretch your legs. Extend your legs straight out and flex your ankles (pulling your toes toward you). Some airlines suggest pulling each knee up toward the chest and holding it there with your hands on your lower leg for 15 seconds, and repeat up to 10 times. These types of activities help to improve the flow of blood in your legs.
If you are at risk, talk with your doctor to learn more about how to prevent blood clots. For example, some people may benefit by wearing graduated compression stockings.
If you are on blood thinners, also known as anticoagulants, be sure to follow your doctor’s recommendations on medication use.

It's being reported, that Johns sought medical attention. He saw a doctor on Thursday, due to pain and bruising from an ankle injury. He was examined and sent home. He was found dead the next day.

Ugh. This is so sad and horrible and tragic to read. I saw on FB that he had died but had no idea what happened to him. How terrible that he sought help and did not get it. Really liked him.

Very sad. DH(36) has had multiple blood clots starting at the age of 17. Every day is an absolute gift, and I am always sure to treat it as such. Prayers to his family.

I'm so sad about this. I'm 47 and to hear someone younger than me has dies is so horrible. Super talented and funny and by all accounts and nice guy. He was a tennis pro as well so I'm sure he knew his body.
Jessica

Oh Robin he was my absolute favorite that year!
I remember chatting with you about him because he was also your pick :guilty:

So sad...he was way too young. His season on Idol was a good one. Cook, Castro, Johns...made for a good show.

Here is what Reba posted on her FB page

My thoughts and prayers go out to Michael Johns' family. His sweet smile and beautiful voice will be missed. The angels in heaven have a new singer.

I had the biggest crush on him that season and he was one of the reasons I wanted to go to the tour that year (first and only time I have gone)

So very tragic :( :sad:

So sad...he was way too young. His season on Idol was a good one. Cook, Castro, Johns...made for a good show.

.....those WERE the 'good old days'....when the talent really WAS talented....not the 'soon-to-be-has-been' contestants of today...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter