• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Michiganders have you heard?

No way! :lmao:

Growing up in Michigan, our goal was always to get OUT of the state for excitement (and warmth). A Disney themed ski resort could be rather interesting though... :earsboy:

Grayling theme park in the works, Axiom predicts 700 full-time jobs, $25 million dollar payroll
Email this story · Print this story · Show/Hide Comments · No comments posted.
By James Martinez, Staff writerWednesday, May 30, 2007 9:21 AM EDT
GRAYLING TOWNSHIP — After several years of rumors, a large multi-million-dollar theme park inched one step closer to coming to Grayling, bringing with it 2,000 jobs and an estimated payroll of $25 million.

Grayling Township planning commissioners unanimously approved a concept plan for a $161-million, four-season theme park, essentially recommending the Michigan Dept. of Natural Resources (DNR) sell land to a Rochester-based group for the park.

The 5-0 vote came at Tuesday night’s meeting where Patrick Crosson of Axiom Entertainment presented a video and slide plan explaining the park’s features. He answered questions from both planning commissioners and the audience whose applause followed the evening’s proceedings, which lasted just over an hour.

“I think it’s the best thing that’s ever happened to the Crawford County area. If this project is not able to go (forward) I’ll be disappointed,” said county resident Linda Williams, who also serves as executive director of Crawford County United Way and is a local tour-related business owner. “It’s something that’s desperately needed here and it’s needed in the entire Michigan economy. ... It’ll provide jobs. I’m a person who takes phone calls every day from some of the people who don’t have money for heat or rent.”
- Advertisement -

Axiom has submitted a letter of intent to the DNR for purchase of approximately 2,200 acres of land located at I-75 and Four Mile Road and is in the process of securing the approval needed from area municipalities, like the planning commission, before the sale can be made final, said Crosson. He hoped to have the sale of the property finalized by next fall. If all things go as planned, Crosson said a June 2010 opening could be a reality for the park.

“We felt all the ingredients were here for a successful project,” Crosson said after the meeting when asked why Grayling was selected. He explained a combination of available land, location and traffic, and the “true” transitions of the four seasons made the location attractive for the business venture.

During the presentation, Crosson laid out a basic concept of how the theme park — designed for year-round, four-season operation — would function. The park featured several attractions, from a water park and roller coasters in summer, to winter events such as snowmobile racing tracks and toboggan lifts. Other conceptual features of the park included a shopping district, educational and entertainment exhibits like an assembly-line roller coaster, an indoor surfing venue, 500-person competitive video game center and oval race track.

Economically, Crosson said the park would employ 700 full-time employees, but have a total workforce of about 2,000, depending on the season. The minimum wage at the park would be $8 per hour, with many of the jobs, like operating a theme-park ride, requiring a college degree and paying approximately $36,000, explained Crosson. He estimated the planned annual payroll to be $25 million.

Initially, Crosson expected the park would generate about $1.2 million dollars in real estate tax revenue, which could later grow into $6 million to $8 million annually.

When asked by planning commissioner James Cox if preference would be given to local applicants for employment, Crosson said he thought approximately 95 percent of the hires would come from a 75-mile radius of park.

Another feature of the park included Crosson’s suggestions that the park would use several alternative energy sources including solar, wind and battery mixed with traditional sources like gas.

Crosson acknowledged that he would have to come before the planning commission on several instances if the project moves forward for specific zoning and site plan approval of certain components of the project.

Planning Commission chairman Curt Jansen echoed those sentiments after the meeting.

“A lot of details remain. It’s just getting started on it. The property, land which we have as a land industrial development, has been sitting unused for eight years since we put the agreement together with the DNR. That’s long enough to realize it’ll probably not be developed into anything else, so give this guy a chance,” said Jansen, who explained the commission was basically recommending the DNR sell the land.

Look for more details in Saturday’s edition of the Herald Times.

Link:

http://www.gaylordheraldtimes.com/articles/2007/05/30/breaking_news/doc465d7a444fa83535338911.txt

By Jil Schult Gaylord Herald Times Staff WriterTuesday, August 26, 2008 8:12 AM EDT
LANSING — The Michigan Natural Resources Commission (NRC) gave developers six months to obtain financing for the $161-million proposed Grayling theme park project, during their Aug. 14 meeting in Lansing.

According to Mary Detloff, DNR spokesperson, if developers meet the deadline, which includes a review of finances by the Michigan Economic Development Corporation and an independent third party, they have an additional nine months to get state and federal permits.

“Once (they) meet those two conditions, we’ll transfer the property,” said Detloff.

Gaila Gilliland, Crawford County Economic Development Partnership director, attended the Aug. 14 meeting and reportedly stated before the commission, “The people of Crawford County have a right to believe in the memorandum of understating that set this land aside for economic development.”
- Advertisement -

Gilliland, supportive of the theme park development, spoke during a telephone interview Wednesday about the economic impact to Northern Michigan, specifically in Grayling.

“I believe with a double-digit poverty rate, unemployment approaching double digits, nearly 70 percent of our land being state owned, we need economic development here,” she said.

“We need money, we need the jobs and we need the hope that a project like this gives us,” Gilliland added.

Patrick Crosson, project manager, believes the project can be an economic generator for the region.

Crosson estimates the park will generate $200,000 a year in taxes while under construction. Additionally, the first year of operation, the park is expected to generate an estimated $1.6 million and continue to grow larger in following years.

Developers claim the park, at Four Mile and I-75, could employ up to 2,000 people, 700 full time.

Though Marvin Roberson, Sierra Club forest ecologist, is not against economic development, he is against the sale of state land to Axiom Entertainment.

“What I’m against is selling public land for a project based on fantasy,” Roberson added. “(Crosson’s) plan is not optimistic — it’s fraudulent.”

“The problem with Roberson is, if he can’t validate it, it’s not true,” Crosson responded.

“We can validate everything and have answered everything,” he added. “They want to misrepresent it — his intention is to disrupt the process.”

The Sierra Club, the oldest and largest environmental organization in the country with approximately 25,000 members in Michigan, does not object to the land being sold for economic development.

“But selling the land has to be for a purpose that has some semblance of reality,” Roberson said.

Link:

http://petoskeynews.com/articles/2008/08/26/news/doc48b3f3110126e891175285.txt

I sure would like to see something like this come to Michigan. I'd be the first in line on Opening Day if it did. But I'm not holding my breath.

It would be great to have anything that draws people to MI and boost our economy. That said, we have a family cabin in Crawford and my in-laws live there and I will be shocked to see it!

I wish this were true. We have a family cabin less than an hour from there and I've hiked/canoed/fished/4wheeled enough to last a lifetime. It would be nice to have another option of entertainment. Walmart is getting old...

I live in Ludington and we had a pretty good summer with the number of tourists visiting this year. June was down a bit due to weather. Of course, many of the visitors may have been Michiganians (I hate michigander reminds me of a goose).
Now that falls has arrived, it's pretty empty.
Neat little something about where I live: my house seems to be on the route to the state park because in the spring every once in a while I'll hear a flock of Canada Geese or swans flying over my house headed to the park. In the fall, it's the exact opposite. Amazing sound to hear swans flying; just a whoosh-whoosh as they flap their wings.

As a Michigan resident who lives in the U.P, I think that it should be called Troll Land for all the crabby people who live below the bridge.:lmao:

The U.P. is a 4 season theme park on its own - Want a thrill ride? Take a boat out on Lake Superior during 6-10 foot waves. Want to see animals? Just check the side of the road as you drive - everything from squirrels to moose, with an occasional cougar thrown in. Want good food? You can get pasties or smoked fish every 10 miles or so... Blizzard Beach - any lake in winter, baby... :woohoo:

As a Michigan resident who lives in the U.P, I think that it should be called Troll Land for all the crabby people who live below the bridge.:lmao:

The U.P. is a 4 season theme park on its own - Want a thrill ride? Take a boat out on Lake Superior during 6-10 foot waves. Want to see animals? Just check the side of the road as you drive - everything from squirrels to moose, with an occasional cougar thrown in. Want good food? You can get pasties or smoked fish every 10 miles or so... Blizzard Beach - any lake in winter, baby... :woohoo:

:lmao:

If you search the rumors board, there was quite a thread on this last year.

Whether you believe the Disney rumor or not, that area (any area in Michigan really) could use a boost. Great if it goes through, but I'm not holding my breath.

Totally off topic and I apologize.

I'm speaking to pasties. One of our favorite foods handed down from my parents and grandparents! My father was a youper (Quinisec) as is my wife (Manistique) ... Me, I'm a lowly Michigander from down below, now living in the Florida Keys (way down below)!

Anyway, pasties are unknown to virtually everyone below Higgins Lake although we have intoduced them to many here in the Keys!:thumbsup2
pirate:

I would just like to remind everyone that DCA cost $1.2 billion to build and Disney is spending another $1.2 billion to fix it! This company is only looking to spend $161 million?!!? Sorry - but what can you get for that kind of money?? :rolleyes1

I would just like to remind everyone that DCA cost $1.2 billion to build and Disney is spending another $1.2 billion to fix it! This company is only looking to spend $161 million?!!? Sorry - but what can you get for that kind of money?? :rolleyes1

An amusement park?

Well, I did hear prices are a bit inflated in California compared to here in Michigan ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter