Mickey, My Sis (in law) and Me

DVC Kelly

Mouseketeer
It has been just over a year since my last trip to the world and to say I was excited to find out I was heading back is an enormous understatement. I was over the moon to be going back to see Mickey!!!! :banana: In what has now become my traditional response I bounced around the room excitedly until I hurt myself (yep I bounce into a wall again).
Similar to my last trip report I am going to try to do a recap at the end of each day, so please forgive any spelling or grammatical errors that may appear.

A recap of the great situation I’ve gotten into:

I am very fortunate to work for my father in law (known on here as Daddio) at David’s Vacation Club Rentals. Not only do I spend my days immersed in all things Disney but an ever bigger perk is that we occasionally get to take “research” trip to visit The Mouse and make sure we have fully experienced the Disney magic. This year’s trip to catch up with Mickey is even more exciting because it is my sister in law (who is also my boss) and me visiting the world together.

Cast of Characters:

DSiL – Disney Sister in Law (aka my boss)
And Me

Let’s begin:
We arrived at Saratoga Spring today around 4:00pm and will be spending one night here before checking into Disney’s Old Key West tomorrow for the remainder of our stay. Despite some rain clouds in the background seeing the front gate with the Welcome Home sign instantly puts a huge smile on our faces.

We were assigned one of the newly renovated rooms and the updated decor and linens are looking great. The new fabric and throw pillows on the sleeper sofa work wonderfully with the resort theme.

As usual I have to snap a photo of the Mickey heads which are part of the balcony.

DSiL will be using the master bedroom and I have the sleeper sofa in the living room. It is great to have two different sleeping areas so that I won’t need to tip toe around in the morning if I’m up first (which I expect to be up first on most mornings).

After tossing our luggage into the room we headed straight to Downtown Disney to begin enjoying this “research trip”. We plan to investigate the Food and Wine Festival, Mickey’s Not so Scary Halloween Party, Cinderella’s Royal Table and a whole lot more, but first it was time for dinner.

Day 1 Continued:
The walkways of Downtown Disney were busy! Thankfully when we arrived at Ragland Road (without a reservation) we were informed that it would only be about 20-30 minutes (which in my opinion was not too shabby). There was plenty of seating at the bar so we could hydrate while we waited for a table

I’ll be honest dinner was a shockingly good!!! DSiL had the braised beef and I went for the shepherd’s pie.

We both loved our picks. The shepherd’s pie was updated in presentation of this Celtic Classic, but for me it is about flavor and this dish was delicious.
Another aspect of Ragland Road that I enjoy is the constant live entertainment. Between the band and the dancers there is always something going on.

For the guests that are seated in one of the smaller rooms and not in sight of the main stage the dancers do come out and perform in the smaller rooms so everyone can see. Sorry that the photo is blurry it was a little challenging for me to get the picture with the sun coming in the window behind the dancers.

After dinner we strolled around Downtown Disney popping into a few shops to look around and then finished the night enjoying a Ghrardelli’s sundae. Yum! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2You know it’s been a good day when it began in an airport but ended at Disney with a hot fudge sundae

Tomorrow is lining up to be a busy day; we’re switching resorts, have reservations at Cinderella’s Royal Table (this is a first for both DSiL and I) and then will be attending Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t wait for the party; it is one of my absolute favourite things to do at Disney and to be running around the Magic Kingdom in costume with DSiL it going to be so much fun!

See you tomorrow.

Day 2:
We started the day with breakfast at the Artists Palette. I love the light fixtures that hang above the dining area. The pops of colour are gorgeous when the sun shines in.

As well the fact that they have an Artist of the Day board to display some of the master pieces that are created is a very nice touch.

Once we finished breakfast DSiL and I visited the DVC model homes (which are located at Saratoga Springs) to do a walkthrough of the highly anticipated Grand Floridian. I know there have been tons of photos of the GF models however now that I have walked through the photos do not do justice to the detailed finishes that are throughout the rooms. For the pull down trundle bed there are actually two different designs;
The Dumbo backdrop

And the Mary Poppins backdrop

We also couldnt miss the opportunity to see the model rooms for Aulani

I LOVE this lamp and so does my DMiL (mother in law). Hint hint Daddio this could be a great Christmas gift for DMiL :wave2:

Next up on our itinerary was to head over to Old Key West; it has largest 1 bedroom villas at the DVC resorts and I must say the space is noticeably larger. :thumbsup2

Once we arrived at the front desk our Cast member had great news for us. Our room was ready and it was only 11:10am!!! :cool1: This worked perfectly so that we would have time to settle in (update the trip report) before getting ready for the MNSSHP and our dinner reservation at Cinderella’s Royal Table.
I’m SO EXCITED for tonight. I LOVE being at Disney for Halloween and I can’t wait to see the parade, go trick or treating, being dressed up and enjoy all of the fun that is part of the MNSSHP.

CRT and MNSSHP
Ok so the rest of day two was absolutely amazing. There were so many things that I loved that I honestly don’t know where to begin. I find that any trip to Disney has so many things happen at once that sometimes it not until I get back home and have a chance to absorb everything that I can honestly appreciate all of the experiences that I have had.
We arrived at MK in full princess costumes (which were a first for DSiL and me) at 4:00pm and got in line just in time to see the Cast Member’s do the countdown to allow all of the MNSSHP guests into the park.
Snapped a few quick photos and then headed off to CRT for dinner.

Cinderella’s Royal Table is arguably one of the most popular reservations at Disney and it is a place that many of our guests have questions about. So when the occasion presented itself for DSiL and I to go, and it happened to be on the same night as MNSSHP when we would be be in costume, well this is a opportunity not to be missed.

I’ll be honest two 30 something year old woman dressed as princesses walk into a restaurant that is predominantly filled with families can make you self conscious. There was a moment when we thought, hmm perhaps being in a shiny glittery polyester ball gowns may not have been a good choice. :scratchin

Suddenly I started listening to the conversations around us worrying that I’d hear a small child ask “Mommy, why does Belle have so many wrinkles”? However the worry quickly faded as all of the Cast Members and princesses welcomes us like it was completely normal. They joked with us and we had a ball.

The food was delicious, I’d recommend the beef tenderloin, and we were able to cut it with a butter knife. However for presentation and taste the desserts were on top.
Here is DSiL’s caramel apple cheesecake

And my When the Clock Strikes Twelve

The detailing in this restaurant was great. Also it is located on the second floor of the castle and the room is filled with sun coming in through the stain glasses windows. Gorgeous!

Notice the mice Gus Gus and his friend observing from above

After dinner it was time to gather our goody bags and head out to start enjoying the party!

MNSSHP
By far this event is my absolute favorite at Disney! Between the decor, the music, the parade and seeing the excitement on the guests faces as they roam around the park I love it all!!! :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

The grave diggers dragging their shovels and sending sparks everywhere is one of the best parts of the parade unfortunately I can never seem to get a good shot of it.

This year with the addition of Jack and Sally at the event I was even more exited. They are located at the front of the park between City hall and the Chamber of Commerce and both characters did a great job interacting with people while they were preparing for the photos to be taken.

The park cleared out rather early so by 10:00pm we were able to walk onto the rides with no wait times. Notice the determination on my face to make sure I had the fastest spinning teacup.

Despite the heat we powered our way through the park to successfully fill our loot bags full of candy (which I’m enjoying while typing this report).

Also new this year they have swapped out the Stitch’s dance party for the Monster’s Scream-O-Wean Ball. We did a few dance moves with the Monster University Alumni and then continued on our trek for candy.

The night ended with both of us exhausted from trying to act like member’s of Disney’s Royal families and with a successful candy overload.

After all that partying I expect tomorrow will start off at a slower pace to help us rejuvenate before we head over to Epcot to start “researching” Food and Wine. :coffee:

Day 3

As expected we started today at a much slower pace. Once we were up and around we headed down to one of Old Key West’s quiet pools. Our room location is great because we have a bus stop one building over and the quiet pool is just passed the bus stop.
Nothing says I’m working hard researching on a Monday then lounging in a pool enjoying the beautiful sunny day :cool1:

We stayed poolside to enjoy our gourmet lunch of peanut butter and jam sandwiches (its gourmet because there was a layer of peanut butter, a layer of jam and then another layer of peanut butter) before getting ready to head to Epcot for the Food and Wine Festival.

Food and Wine Festival – YUM!
This was my first experience at Epcot during Food and Wine and I must say that I have learned a few things.

First, you need to have a plan or else all the options can seem overwhelming.

Second, remember to hydrate, that sun is hot and if you are not careful it can kick your butt! There were two couples that we saw whom I would say they forgot to hydrate.

Third rule is it never hurts to try something new. The Food and Wine Festival is a great chance to sample something new, if you don’t like no big deal your only out a few bucks rather than trying it when out for dinner and it’s a full price entree.

Finally the biggest thing I took away from tonight is that I LOVE food!!! This is something that I already knew but trying the different dishes tonight has reaffirmed that I still do and probably always will love food. The opposite side to that statement is that food also loves me’ it likes to stick around by adding a few inches on my waistline. But enough about waistline measurements, I needn’t spend time being concerned about those things while at Disney. I can worry about that sort of thing once I’m headed home.

We noticed that the wall next to the Monorail platform had a projection advertising the food and wine

This is DSiL patiently waiting and grabbing a table for us to eat at while I was in line at another kiosk.

Here are a few shots of the different items we sampled;
Brazil – seared scallop with ragout of tomatoes, peppers, hearts of palm and steamed rice. It was a great way to start my night

Singapore – Tiger beer. DSiL had it, enjoyed it and said it had a warm after taste. However be prepare that when you order it the Cast Member will make you “roar” before giving it to you. This shot has the Cast Member clapping at the great “roar” DSiL gave in order to get her bar.

China – Chicken potstickers. Not sure of what the spice was but it left a great aftertaste and I could take a bath in the dipping sauce it was so yummy!

Germany – apple strudel with Werther’s Original caramel and vanilla sauce. A great dessert choice, however it did make me wish that we had made dinner reservations for Biergarten

Poland – Potato pierogie pared with kielbasa and caramelized onions. Oh my goodness I could have ordered 10 of those servings. Oh so could can’t wait to head back to Epcot to have more.

Morocco – Kefta Pocket. It was exactly as described on their menu however it was a bit of a miss for me, because there wasn’t any spice or kick, it was “ok”.

France – Eiffel Sour Cosmo Slush. This icy slushy went down very quickly both because of its taste and the hot weather.

Scotland – Seared salmon with cauliflower puree. The salmon was cooked perfectly and when matched with the puree it was a great bite. This is Scotland’s debut at the Food and Wine festival and with an entree choice like that they have come out strong!

Storm clouds rolled in around 7:00pm threatening to release a downpour at any time. Thankfully it was only some sprinkles which allowed us to get around the world without having to put on those ever fashionable clear ponchos.
Tonight was a great time. I left with a full stomach and was really happy with the experience. In fact I enjoyed it so much that we’re going to be heading back before the end of the week to try some more.
If you have any recommendations on things not to be missed, let me know and I’d be happy to give them a try

Day 4: Conquering Fears Day
The day started with a plan to head to downtown Disney in the early morning and do some shopping; right now as you read this my husband shivers with the thought of me unattended at Disney shopping. :sick:

I popped up, looked up the hours online and saw that it said 8:30am-11:00pm. I quickly ate breakfast and headed out the door. Turns out that the shops don’t actually open until 10:00am (something new I learned).

This provided me the opportunity to try something that has always perked my interest, but being the scardie cat that I am I have also always chickened out. But not today, today I decided to ride in one of the largest hot air balloons in North America.

Tickets are usually $18, however if you fly before 10:00am it’s a discounted rate of only $10 (husband you should be happy I’m actually saving money while I spend it). I’m so glad I choose to do it. The views from 400 feet in the air were amazing! You can see every Disney resort and park from up there. Since it was so early I was the only rider so the chief pilot Dan was able to answer all of my questions. I had asked about weight limits and how many people they can carry, and he actually showed me the screen that helps them calculate those things based on wind, air currents and all things weather related.

It was a great peaceful way to see Disney from a whole new angle.

While shopping I did see the new Disney Collection bags be Vera Bradley. Lots of people looking at them although I did not spot anyone actually buying them.

After emptying my wallet in the Disney stores (man that happens quickly) I headed back to Old Key West via ferry (again the only person on the boat) to meet up with DSiL and head over to HWS.
Ok so back home we do not have salamanders which is why when I see them here I try really hard to make sure not to squash them (I think they are cute). When DSIL and I hoped into our car and started driving suddenly there is a Salamander sitting on the hood of our car.
This little guy stayed on the hood for the entire trip from Old Key West to HWS.

We’re here.

Fear #2 I have never ridden on an upside down rollercoaster. Occasionally my head gets spinney which brings on a headache and makes for a long day, so I avoid things that I think may trigger the spins. However my DH and DSiL have encouraged me to try it because they both think that I would REALLY enjoy if I could ever convince myself to get on one.
Well today was the day. Crowd levels were super low so DSiL and I only had a 5 minute wait before it was time to ride that super fast limo............................................ and I had a great time! Oh my goodness it was FUN. :cool1::thumbsup2:cool1:

We spent the rest of the day hopping from ride to ride and having a blast.

Ok quick shout out to my co-worker DVC Ange. Before coming on this trip she had informed me that “some people” report that when seeing any Toy Story characters roaming around the park if you call out loudly “Andy’s coming” they will freeze or drop to the ground. Well that is not exactly true. On our way into Toy Story Mania, I saw a green army toy roaming and so I stood in the middle of the road and yell out “Andy’s coming”. Well the army man looked at me shook his head no and then kept right on walking. In short I looked like a crazy lady yelling in the middle of the street. Thanks DVCAnge! :eek:

When we came back out from Toy Story Mania I saw another green army man and I’m not sure why but I decided to try it again. So here I am yelling “Andy’s coming” while my DSiL is trying to pretend like she doesn’t know who I am. This time the army guy stops looks at me, looks around for Andy and then gives me a hand gesture of “what gives, where’s Andy”? My response to him when smiling was “well it was worth a try”.

HWS has already begun setting up their Christmas directions. I can’t wait to have the chance to see them one year (yep I’m already trying to plan a future trip).

Before heading out of the park we stopped quickly for a snack. Yum gingerbread cookie.

I love that at Disney basically anywhere you turn there is always a store that can sell you a cookie.

I finished the night by heading back down to one of the quiet pools at OKW and it was peaceful. I had the whole thing to myself and just loved lounging in the pool up to the point that the bugs came out and it was time for me to go in.

Tomorrow we’re going to hit Animal Kingdom in the morning and then back to Epcot later in the day for round two of Food and Wine.

Love your costumes.

There is nothing better than one of the village pools at OKW...and having it to yourself. :goodvibes

Day 5: AK and Round 2 at Food and Wine

What a great start to our day. We made it to Animal Kingdom for 9:00am and headed straight to the Kilimanjaro Safari. Since the temperatures hadn’t gotten too hot yet the animals were out and it made for some great photo opportunities.

So the male lion was a little lazy by taking a nap, however I don’t think I want to be around when he’s not being lazy :eek:

Our Safari leader who introduced himself as “Stan, Stan the safari man” was a great source of knowledge as well as entertaining.

There was very little wait time for all of the rides at Animal Kingdom, so we were able to power through the park in a couple of hours.

By noon when the sun was beating down on us we decided the best course of action was to head back to OKW and enjoy the pool to help get through the hottest part of the day.

Refreshed from our time at the pool we were ready for round 2 of the Food and Wine festival! :cool1: Since we were going to be sampling some more of the drinks at the park we of course took the bus. I must say all week we have had great success with the Disney Bus system. We have not yet had to wait more then 10 minutes for a bus to arrive.

Here are more food pics from Food and Wine:

Hawaii – Kalua Pork slider with sweet and sour Dole Pineapple Chutney and spicy mayonnaise. OMG that was amazing!!!!! I see why it is a huge hit every year. You definitely don’t miss out on these.

Greece – Spanakopita. Also delicious, the crust was so light and flakey and the filling was flawless. I was also impressed with eh size of the serving we got at this booth.

Canada – Le Cellier wild mushroom beef filet mingnon with truffle butter sauce. The meat was so very tender and when we pared it with their Mission Hill Family Estate Syrah it complemented each other perfectly.

As we passed the Canadian Pavilion we paused to enjoy the music of off Kilter and then proceeded to find our next kiosk to continue our dining experience.

Morocco – Baklava. This was a huge portion, DSiL and I split it and I still find my piece a good size. From my first round at Food and Wine I was a little let down at Morocco for their Kefta pocket. They have redeemed themselves with a delicious baklava.

Florida Local – shrimp ceviche with fire roasted vegetables and micro cilantro. This is something that I did not enjoy. From the description I had imagined something else and then seeing the shrimp hanging out in a sauce that I’m sorry to say reminded me of salsa just didn’t work for me. Now keep in mind everyone has their own opinion so although I did not like, someone else may love it.

Since the shrimp dish did not go over well for me, I decided to finish my Food and Wine tasting by returning to Poland for another potato pierogie with caramelized onions and kielbasa. YUM!!!!!

Oh one other thing I wanted to point out is that they do have Festival Shop booth set up to buy artwork, speciality Food and Wine ears and a whole lot of other swag.

Before leaving the park it was time for another first. Until tonight I had never ate a Mickey Mouse ice cream bar. Upon hearing this DSiL insisted that we have one right away. Not wanting to be rude I of course agreed with her

It was when we were walking back to the bus stop that it hit me; my Disney trip is almost done. Only one full day left and they we’ll have to pack up and leave this wondrous place. It is natural for me to get a little sappy/sad when it’s time to leave, but I refused to let that happen tonight. Instead I will ignore that on Friday we’re leaving and instead I want to pack in as much as possible tomorrow.

Day 6: 24 hours before I have to leave so let’s fit in as much as possible.
I woke up early this morning ready to pack in as much as possible on my last day. For me the best way to hit the ground running is to literally go for a job. Another great thing about OKW is that they have a nature trail that runs from our resort, to SSR and onto Downtown Disney. It was about 3kms from OKW to DTD but you can add to the distance by jogging within the resorts.

After the energizing jog and a shower I gathered my stuff and decided to head back to DTD (this time on a bus and not jogging) to check off one of my “must dos” every time I’m here.
I LOVE Earl of Sandwich!!! There is always a line to order, but the food has always been worth the wait. :thumbsup2

I picked up a few more souvenirs and then headed over to Beach Club to see the resort (a little bit of work stuff had to be done). It was another gorgeous day so with the sun shining down you could not help but smile to be in such a beautiful place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter