Mickey Power!!! - July 2019 - Once Upon a Time When DHS Opened After Sunrise - 2/27

We added them to the 3 ADRs we wanted to and it didn’t impact our plans or the times in any significant way.

Awesome. Glad that worked out so well.

We stopped later on for lunch at the Cracker Barrel in Lake City, FL.

Cracker Barrel is one of my road trip staples.

I don’t think we made more than 1 or maybe 2 other restroom stops the whole drive.

Perfect! I hate stopping.

Truthfully, I need to get a full night's sleep after driving all night and when we stay on Disney property that first night, I always want to be out seeing or doing things and it is hard to make myself go to bed!

Agreed,

Sometimes pictures are deceiving.

Oh no.

The restaurant wasn’t half full, but they didn’t have enough servers so we had to wait 40 minutes for a table.

Wow. That's frustrating.

She went on telling us we should sell her our tickets and was telling us she could get us a better price... I don’t know, I was done talking to her or listening when I told her we had our tickets and weren’t interested. She went on this hard sell trying to get us to do something and after telling her “No, thanks” a few times, I just turned my back and walked away.

What on earth. That's beyond annoying especially for a good neighbor hotel.

The good neighbor situation is disappointing; good thing you weren't paying for it and weren't staying there for the duration of your trip. Could you imagine those families fighting the traffic after a long, hot day in the parks? Yikes.

Following along! :wave:

lol Love Mickey Power! That's a good idea about a non-Disney hotel at the beginning and end of your trip. That stinks about the hotel but at least the room was clean. I HATE when people try to sell me things and will not take no.

Looking forward to the rest of your trip report!

How wonderful that changing the ADR's was that easy! That's especially great news about the H&V switch - thank goodness for those alerts!

I'm so impressed that you get to Disney by driving all night - I don't think I could do it! I'm glad your trip down was so easy and the kids slept most of the way.

I know it's hard to complain when you are essentially enjoying a "free" night in a hotel... but, good gracious. I'm glad your room was nice and hope that helped the annoyance of the maneuvering, the check-in, the pool, and that super-annoying park ticket seller. (Imagine the poor people that don't have your amount of Disney knowledge that switch out their tickets! :eek: )

Despite the hotel hiccups, I'm glad you got to bed nice and early! You should be ready for a great Disney day!

I can't wait to read more! I love your trip reports and glad you are writing this one! And WOW! I can't believe how BIG the kids are!!!!! Amazing! :)

We ended up making it all the way to Calhoun, GA as the sun came up. The kids started stirring and the gas gauge started dipping too low to go much farther. I always like to stop for a restroom break before Atlanta anyway since you never know how long it will take to get through, so that was perfect. We grabbed breakfast from McDonalds, fueled up and sailed right through Atlanta at around 8 am on a Saturday morning.
Great driving! We live about an hour north of Toronto and drove straight through one year.....door to door in 25 hours. It was great going down but not going home.
We stopped later on for lunch at the Cracker Barrel in Lake City, FL. I don’t think we made more than 1 or maybe 2 other restroom stops the whole drive.
Cracker Barrel is a must for us on any US road trip!
While we were waiting, we were approached by a hotel employee from what appeared to be their concierge desk, trying to sell us park tickets. I told her we already had what we needed and weren’t interested, thank you.

Apparently, she works on some kind of commission.

She went on telling us we should sell her our tickets and was telling us she could get us a better price... I don’t know, I was done talking to her or listening when I told her we had our tickets and weren’t interested. She went on this hard sell trying to get us to do something and after telling her “No, thanks” a few times, I just turned my back and walked away.
That is awful...definitely would leave a bad taste in my mouth too!

Glad the drive down went smoothly!
That part is always a relief to get through.
Ah, your "good neighbor" hotel didn't sound all that good! Sorry about that. Especially the hotel employee being relentless about the park tickets.
It really wasn't. Honestly it didn't feel like it fit with the Brand either from the IHG group of hotels or as a place given good neighbor designation by Disney.
'm a member too but never tried this. Sounds like it worked well for you.
It worked great. This is the only time I've ever used that tool and it worked great. I wasn't planning to change our CRT reservation, but after this one worked I did put in a request just to see if one would open up but it never did.
You made real good time.
::yes::
Not too bad. When we have driven we usually hit bad traffic on 1-95.
We really have 3 different ways that we can reasonably go. 75 through Atlanta is the shortest and most direct, but with Atlanta traffic, you can often justify going down 65 through Alabama then across the panhandle or going up 95 then cutting across Asheville/Knoxville and on up through Cincinnati. I've found traffic through the Carolinas on 95 to be more irritating than Atlanta!
Not the Disney bubble.
Not at all
How frustrating! Again not the Disney Bubble.
:headache:
I'm looking forward to this.
:thumbsup2
Glad everything worked out!!!
Thanks! Me too! It was pretty painless.
:headache:
YEP. This is the hotel my family checked into the night before our DCP, and the Applebees that my co-workers and I went to once after a late night shift for some apps and drinks. We were the only six people in the entire restaurant and we saw our server maybe three times in the TWO HOURS we spent there. What a mess.
Oh... so you're familiar with it. I'm sorry. :sad2:
YEP! Oof, these people are the worst. The guy from "concierge" approached us while we were at the pool during my family's stay.
I've stayed at other Holiday Inn resort properties and never have I run across something like this at another of their properties. It felt like some sleazy time share pitch or something.
I hope you make it!!! Can't wait for the next update!!!
Joining in! Looking forward to reading along.
:welcome: Thanks for joining!
Joining in too! I can’t wait to hear about the rest of your trip!
:welcome: I look forward to sharing our experience!
I hate when the staff tries to up sell and doesn’t take no for an answer!
For real... it was ridiculous.
Looking forward to hearing about your trip! Totally stealing the gift card/choose a restaurant idea for our next trip!
:welcome: I don't even know how I came up with that idea. My good ideas are few and far between.

Awesome. Glad that worked out so well.
::yes:: I wasn't sure how it would go, but I knew ADR availability had seemed pretty good when we had to rearrange things well past 180 days.
Cracker Barrel is one of my road trip staples.
::yes:: It seems like we almost always hit the one there in Lake City.
Perfect! I hate stopping.
::yes:: Me too. That's why I like driving at night when they'll sleep!
Wow. That's frustrating.
::yes:: I almost felt bad for the host, because people were waiting and could clearly see what the problem was and were giving him an earful. I'm sure he didn't limit the place to 2 servers on that shift.
What on earth. That's beyond annoying especially for a good neighbor hotel.
Definitely! I wouldn't expect that from a good neighbor. You'd think Disney would hold them to higher standards to get that label.
The good neighbor situation is disappointing; good thing you weren't paying for it and weren't staying there for the duration of your trip. Could you imagine those families fighting the traffic after a long, hot day in the parks? Yikes.
I actually had that thought. It worked well for us to serve the purpose that we needed, but if I'd paid full price for that room, I'd have been frustrated and if I had to get back and forth to and from the parks, there would have been so much wasted time. No way on earth I could justify staying there for a few days in the parks.
Following along! :wave:
:welcome:
lol Love Mickey Power! That's a good idea about a non-Disney hotel at the beginning and end of your trip. That stinks about the hotel but at least the room was clean. I HATE when people try to sell me things and will not take no.
It works well, but there are a lot of things you can somewhat tolerate as long as the room is kept up nicely and clean! I just could not stay there for the course of a Disney trip nor would I recommend it.
ooking forward to the rest of your trip report!

How wonderful that changing the ADR's was that easy! That's especially great news about the H&V switch - thank goodness for those alerts!
We really had good luck the whole time from booking ADRs at the start to changing them (some more than once). I never used that tool before but it was pretty quick and easy.
I'm so impressed that you get to Disney by driving all night - I don't think I could do it! I'm glad your trip down was so easy and the kids slept most of the way.
The hard part is day 2 or 3 in the parks... :rotfl2:

No, really though, it does help to drive at night while the kids sleep. We get a lot of ground behind us and it makes it easy. I do have to make sure that I get some sleep for a few hours before leaving and then a good night sleep once we arrive. It makes the rest of the week easier. I once went to work on a Friday, drove straight through the night to be at Universal Studios when they opened Saturday morning and stayed all day for a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert that night. I was awake for over 40 straight hours... I was also about 23. That crap don't happen anymore. :lmao: That first night of sleep is now CRUCIAL!
I know it's hard to complain when you are essentially enjoying a "free" night in a hotel... but, good gracious. I'm glad your room was nice and hope that helped the annoyance of the maneuvering, the check-in, the pool, and that super-annoying park ticket seller. (Imagine the poor people that don't have your amount of Disney knowledge that switch out their tickets! :eek: )
No kidding... it was a bad look for a "good neighbor" in my opinion. I don't expect that kind of thing from IHG hotels or from a place that is given the good neighbor label by Disney. Having a clean room is pretty much priority number 1 and it at least held up on that end, but the rest was enough that I would definitely not stay there for a Disney trip just to save a few bucks.
Despite the hotel hiccups, I'm glad you got to bed nice and early! You should be ready for a great Disney day!
I can't wait to read more! I love your trip reports and glad you are writing this one! And WOW! I can't believe how BIG the kids are!!!!! Amazing! :)
:welcome: Thanks for the kind words! And yeah, they've got that growing thing figured out!
Great driving! We live about an hour north of Toronto and drove straight through one year.....door to door in 25 hours. It was great going down but not going home.
We're around 15 hours, so not quite that bad. But the drive down is a lot easier than the drive back. That's why we added a few beach days to relax after Disney World!
Cracker Barrel is a must for us on any US road trip!
That is awful...definitely would leave a bad taste in my mouth too!
It wasn't a good look, honestly. Made it seem seedy.

Yikes- that hotel sounds like a nightmare! My DH travels on IHG points as well, but I will have to remember that this one is a no-go!

Way to be quick on the trigger.
Most women view that as a negative.
You're right... they might price me out though. It's getting close. Not that they'll price me out 100%, but our trips seem to be becoming fewer and farther between.
Hmmm... do you think that's their intent?
They were happy, but it wasn't some kind of a big exciting reveal where they flipped out or anything.
Ah, okay.
Well, I wasn't sure. We had our plans made so I knew that I wasn't willing to just scrap our park days or FP or anything and that was part of the discussion from the get go. To her credit, she made it very clear from the start that they didn't want to have any kind of negative affect from that aspect. But I also knew that we could use a hand with R. Maybe even more. So I wasn't really annoyed, I wasn't really excited... I'd have been happy either way.
Understood.
I was fine with that. It just took some of my downtime that I intended to be resting, but if they're going to help with R... well, when is a 3 year old more of a handful than when you want to sit down to dinner?
Good point. I was glad to have girls when they were little. They were never too bad.
Of course they got even when they got older. :laughing:

I wasn’t even going to attempt changing our ADR at Cinderella’s Royal Table. Maybe I could have, but I didn’t even care to try.
That used to be the hardest ticket in Disney... not sure if it still is now that they have the other room open.
H&V was tougher. I couldn't find any availability,
Really! Huh. Bit surprised by that.
but I’m a member on touringplans.com so I used their ADR finder tool to watch for an ADR before I went to sleep.
I've used it with no luck. Then again, if I'm using it, I'm trying to find a hard table to get.
I woke up at about 10 PM, had something to eat and we finished loading the Suburban and headed out just after midnight.
Did you have to wake any of the kids to get them in the car?
We made it that far and I looked around the car and everyone was sleeping.
Awww. :)
I always like to stop for a restroom break before Atlanta anyway since you never know how long it will take to get through, so that was perfect.
Good plan
I don’t think we made more than 1 or maybe 2 other restroom stops the whole drive.
With that many in the car? Not bad!
For a 900+ mile drive, everything really went as well as it could have.
That's really all you can ask for. It's all I ask for!
In order to save some money to extend our stay a little bit at Disney, we booked our arrival night and a night after our Disney stay at a nearby hotel on points. I like this for our travel day so that we don’t have to be anywhere by a certain time. It gives us a little bit of wiggle room for our ETA and we don’t feel like we miss out on anything since it isn’t our time to explore our resort or anything like that.
Yeah, I can see that. For me personally, I like to maximize my Disney time so I don't do that... but I can definitely see where you're coming from.
Truthfully, I need to get a full night's sleep after driving all night and when we stay on Disney property that first night, I always want to be out seeing or doing things and it is hard to make myself go to bed!
Get that too. As a shift worker, I've left after working the midnight shift. Boy do I need sleep by the next night!
it looked like it had a nice pool and play area.

Sometimes pictures are deceiving.
Uh, oh...
And... yeah. None of that sounded very good. Glad the pool was okay (if small). I was sure you were going to say it was closed, being renovated or dirty.
The hotel had an Applebees attached to it so we went there for dinner, again, to avoid driving anywhere. They were WAY understaffed. I'd suspect that the rain brought people back form the parks early and they didn't want to go back out either. The restaurant wasn’t half full, but they didn’t have enough servers so we had to wait 40 minutes for a table. The front of the restaurant and the hotel lobby were packed with people waiting to get in.
Whoa. And... yeah, maybe you're right. Sounds like they weren't prepared for that many people.
While we were waiting, we were approached by a hotel employee from what appeared to be their concierge desk, trying to sell us park tickets. I told her we already had what we needed and weren’t interested, thank you.

Apparently, she works on some kind of commission.

:sad2:
You know it's bad when you just turn your back and walk away. Wow. Annoying as heck!
In fact, I got online and looked at changing our night after Disney to another location, but I wasn’t able to find anything else that was close available using points.
Yeah... that's really bad if it made you want to move to another hotel.
Sunday would be our first Disney day and our hope was to make it to MK for rope drop!
Woot!

Joining in! I have so much rage on your behalf on the way that employee behaved. I would have complained to a manager. But glad you were only there for two separate nights.

Yikes- that hotel sounds like a nightmare! My DH travels on IHG points as well, but I will have to remember that this one is a no-go!
I typically have really good experiences with them and that's why I used them so much. This is certainly not the norm and I think that's why I took such notice and exception to it. I wouldn't rule it out entirely if I did something similar where I just need 1 night on points... as I said the room was clean and I slept well. But I wouldn't plan a trip to intend on staying there.
Most women view that as a negative.
:faint: :rotfl2:
Hmmm... do you think that's their intent?
I believe so. And it might work.
That used to be the hardest ticket in Disney... not sure if it still is now that they have the other room open.
It is still difficult. That's why I didn't plan on or expect to change it.
Really! Huh. Bit surprised by that.
To be fair, I was only going to consider an ADR at 8:15 or earlier. I could have found one closer to or after rope drop.
I've used it with no luck. Then again, if I'm using it, I'm trying to find a hard table to get.
Well like I said I set one up for CRT just to see and nothing ever came of it
Did you have to wake any of the kids to get them in the car?
No:hyper:
Uh, oh...
And... yeah. None of that sounded very good. Glad the pool was okay (if small). I was sure you were going to say it was closed, being renovated or dirty.
well there was caution tape blocking off a set of steps and part of the deck....
You know it's bad when you just turn your back and walk away. Wow. Annoying as heck!
I do use the walk away method later on a trip for another (lesser) reason but that's just my way of telling myself to shut up. When I walk away it's just my reaction to keep myself from dropping all the 4 letter words known to man and maybe a few more I've made up.
Yeah... that's really bad if it made you want to move to another hotel.
Joining in!
:welcome:
I have so much rage on your behalf on the way that employee behaved. I would have complained to a manager. But glad you were only there for two separate nights.
I appreciate the sympathy rage. I had plenty. I didn't talk to the mgr because it wasn't worth my time. I just wanted to eat and get to bed and as long as check in took I didn't want to invest the time and negativity it would take to complain. However, I did leave negative feedback and explained exactly why I felt that way. I haven't heard anything back from them but I feel better.

I believe so. And it might work.
Yep... unfortunately.
It is still difficult. That's why I didn't plan on or expect to change it.
Ah. I don't know anymore since my girls are grown up and not so interested in characters/princesses anymore.
To be fair, I was only going to consider an ADR at 8:15 or earlier. I could have found one closer to or after rope drop.
Ah
Well like I said I set one up for CRT just to see and nothing ever came of it
Right. I think it works well where there's at least a chance of getting a table.
:laughing: okay. :)
well there was caution tape blocking off a set of steps and part of the deck....
Of course there was. :sad2:
I do use the walk away method later on a trip for another (lesser) reason but that's just my way of telling myself to shut up. When I walk away it's just my reaction to keep myself from dropping all the 4 letter words known to man and maybe a few more I've made up.
Whoops!
If we meet, I gotta see if you just walk away... :rolleyes:

Oh my goodness! It sounds like your drive really couldn't have gone any better! Send me some of that Disney road trip mojo, please! We leave to do our drive in a couple of weeks and we've got about 2000 miles to cover! We've never done it straight through before, but we're gonna try this time driving in shifts. Crossing my fingers we do okay and don't end up needing to stop somewhere.

Sorry to hear about your hotel, though. That really sounded pretty lousy. As you were describing one issue, then the next, I was getting that same bad taste in my mouth on your behalf! Especially with the employee trying to sell you tickets. It's one thing to push for the sale when you make a commission, but it's another entirely to not understand where the line is. She definitely went too far!

Oh my goodness! It sounds like your drive really couldn't have gone any better! Send me some of that Disney road trip mojo, please! We leave to do our drive in a couple of weeks and we've got about 2000 miles to cover! We've never done it straight through before, but we're gonna try this time driving in shifts. Crossing my fingers we do okay and don't end up needing to stop somewhere.
I hope it goes smoothly for you guys!!! I feel like our drive is long, but wow! Not even half of yours!
Sorry to hear about your hotel, though. That really sounded pretty lousy. As you were describing one issue, then the next, I was getting that same bad taste in my mouth on your behalf! Especially with the employee trying to sell you tickets. It's one thing to push for the sale when you make a commission, but it's another entirely to not understand where the line is. She definitely went too far!
It wasn't a very pleasant experience. At least the place was clean and comfortable so you can somewhat tolerate poor service, but there's still no excuse for it.
Following along!
:welcome: Thanks for joining!

Ok. I lied.
This was going to be the first park day, but I’m going to slide in a little extra update about R in here. Read it if you want or skip on to the good part. Something popped uo on DW’s facebook last night so I thought I’d just share a little bit of his backstory.
48430700102_79b23beabe_z.jpg
I thought I’d mention this because I just kind of jumped into this TR without any in depth Intros. I really didn’t expect there would be as many people follow as there are, to be quite honest. And I appreciate the ones of you who have jumped back in after my absence from the boards.
But I’m seeing some new names... I know some have said they’ve read past TRs and maybe didn’t comment, but just in case I want to give some background on this guy.
His background and the associated concerns cause us to have some stress during the course of our trip.
When DW was 20 weeks pregnant, we found out in an ultrasound that R had a hole in his diaphragm. It is called Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH). They basically said that in addition to the obvious problems, the biggest issue is that he would not have fully formed lungs because they form later in the developmental process and the abdominal organs that were spilling into his chest cavity would crowd them out. They said he had a 50% survival rate.
It became a pretty crazy year from that point forward. We had to go to a different hospital for delivery and neonatal care. That meant they wanted DW to “live” in a hotel adjacent to the campus a few weeks before her due date. They wanted him to go as full term as possible, but they didn’t want to take a chance on delivery occurring somewhere else. Ultimately, they made a surgery room right next to the NICU into a delivery room and whisked him away immediately. After he was born he spent 3 months in the hospital.
It was a series of challenges after he was born. There were surgeries, there were 10 days spent on ECMO (a machine that took the blood out of his body, filtered it, put oxygen in and sent it back into his body), and there were plenty of surprises.
These pictures are R on ECMO and the ECMO equipment
48430367846_b37fa5264b_z.jpg
48430367486_9310b77c0c_z.jpg
48430507832_1469c05d5e_z.jpg
Saw this picture... and I forgot we had Pluto there with him. Kind of explains why he loved Pluto so much on our trip!
48430507462_269b351e0e_z.jpg
48430507147_1c82025e53_z.jpg
2 months old... first time we got to see him without tubes or tape on his face
48430506637_dc46308e11_z.jpg
One of the challenges we had to overcome before he could come home was feeding. Babies with the issues he had, coupled with being fed through tubes and having tubes running down their throats tend to be slow to figure out oral feeding. By the time he was discharged he’d nurse some, but most of his nutrition was through a feeding tube, which is why he had the G-Tube put in. He figured it out, over time, and started gaining some weight through oral feeding. They had us keep the G-tube in until last summer when we were able to show his pediatrician that he had gained sufficient weight over the course of a few months without having to feed through the tube. He’s still a runt though. As of our trip, 3 year old R measured 35 ½" tall and a whopping 23 pounds.
Anyway... Last night marked 1 year since the tube came out.
R gives us a lot of challenges to this day relating to his medical history. Actually, going back to last year, his g-tube didn’t heal correctly and he did have to have surgery last fall to correct that. They also found another hole in his diaphragm around that same time. It could be due to the patch not being attached well or it could be a hole in the patch. They aren’t sure. Originally, they were going to repair that when he was in surgery to repair the g-tube site. Instead, they decided to let him grow more first. He wasn’t showing any signs of intestinal blockage and they wanted him to grow and give them more room to repair it and maybe more material to work with because the hole is very close to the esophagus and aorta so they need as much room to maneuver as they can get. So even more than normal, we’ve been keeping a close eye on him for any kind of abnormal digestive symptoms from him for the past year.
R also has a shunt that was put in during his time in the NICU. He developed hydrocehpalus, kind of out of the blue when we were close to being able to talk about coming home so we had that setback to overcome. They basically told us that this shunt would probably fail in some way after he got to be about 2 years old, because that just tends to happen when they put them in babies. So we feel like we’re on borrowed time before they’ll have to change out his shunt valve or tubing.
Basically, the result of his issues is that reflux is a bit of a problem and we have to constantly watch for any signs digestive problems. Has he pooped today? How long has it been since he did? What did it look like? These are just day to day concerns. We also are very much in tune with subtle behavior changes or irrational behavior that might indicate an issue with the shunt.

And of course, what better to mess with your natural food intake/digestion and irritable behavior than a week at Disney World?
I know several of you are in the medical profession. Over the course of his adventure, we’ve made friends with some of his nurses and doctors. They were heavily invested in caring for him, and for us. One of them worked at night and she was there the first night when he was born and the decision was made that he had to go on ECMO. She actually ended up picking up some extra shifts to come in and rock with him. She made a sign to help her co-workers better care for him.
48430644657_f81b3816be_z.jpg
He had nurses in the NICU that laughed with us, cried with us and some have been there for some of his milestones since. Those of you who are in this field, I just want to let you know I appreciate what you do. I know it isn’t an easy job, but you’re definitely in a position to make a real difference in someone’s life!

NEVER, Neverland

After a good night’s sleep, we woke up bright and early, excited to begin our fun!
I got up and prepared the park bags. We'd be carrying a backpack that had some snacks, wipes, diapers, etc that we’d keep close by. DW had a bag with some extra snacks and things that we’d leave with the stroller once getting through security. We also had water bottles, for each of us that we could hang from the stroller.
We made it over to the TTC and loaded onto the tram. It seemed like we were a little far back... we were in the Simba section, just past the row of trees. I didn’t realize the TTC was undergoing so much construction that the trams weren’t going all the way in. We hopped on the tram, rolled a few hundred feet towards the TTC and then stopped to get off. It saved us SOME walking.

Ok, I think I’m done with the trams.
We got through security easily and headed to the Ferryboat. It was still only about 8:15 so we were making good time and in good shape. We found a spot under the shade and waited to board the boat. It was a slow process that morning, and it seemed like they were only running 2 of the boats so the crowd had really gathered before the next boat pulled in to load.
I was pushing the stroller toward the boat in what felt like the running of the bulls.
I am mindful of my stroller. I leave room in front of it to keep from clipping heels.
All I’m gonna say is that if you see that open space and care to make it your space, I’m not going to worry about YOUR heels.
I had a lady cut right in front of me just before we made it to the choke point at the gate leading to the boat. She pretty much jumped over R to get in front of my stroller.
And she was carrying a baby. Then she turned around and started yelling for her mom who attempted to do the same thing and squeeze between the gate and the stroller.
I was sure she was going to end up sitting in the stroller.
I won’t lie though. I knew what was happening and saw it coming.
Part of the reason she almost ended up sitting in the stroller is because I sped up to close the gap.

Are we having a Magical Day yet???
The worst part about going to Disney World has always been the other people.
We made it to MK and were off the boat and through the tapstiles with plenty of time. We stopped for the first of many, many restroom breaks at the town square before rounding the corner and seeing the castle!
Here’s where the lack of pictures comes into play. Did anybody take a picture of the castle that morning? Of course not!
But we did get some in the hub. We had time to kill and a show to watch before the rope dropped.
48431023717_093d1eb31a_z.jpg
48431020527_4a5b5cc45e_z.jpg
48430880976_cc941df138_z.jpg
So here is where my first trip planning fail came into play. I didn’t take Early Morning Magic into account.
I also didn’t take the fact that 7DMT was going to be down into account, but I can hardly take the blame for that.
Our plan was to rope drop Peter Pan.
We did.
We also waited 35 minutes.
Not really the start we wanted...
Peter Pan has always been one that we try to hit early in our trip and then not worry about the ridiculous lines. We like it but it is always a one and done type of ride for us.

Turns out not everyone likes it.

R was with me. By the time we passed the Mermaid Lagoon, he was screaming for Mommy.
Good times.
Our original plan was to visit the Hundred Acre Woods next, but we made a judgement call to forego dark rides for a while.
I knew R was going to be close to making height for Barnstormer and B needed a restroom break so I measured him while they took care of that. He was tall enough so we decided to take him on his first rollercoaster ride.
He was either going to love it or we were really going to go all out and traumatize him!
We waited about 10 minutes to board. I’m not really sure why, but when we made it to the load station, I told the CM there were 5 of us. For some reason she sent me and R to a spot in the middle of the train and DW, L and B to the front where they’d have to wait for the next one. We didn’t even all get to ride together.
48430881331_1c6721d2df_z.jpg
48430881361_7234c0188b_z.jpg
48431021782_c3bec56667_z.jpg
Sorry for the shaky video. I was trying to hold him, keep an eye on him in case he got scared and still hold my phone. If you get motion sick, you might want to sit it out, but he did say it was fun!
20190707_094810 by arfix2273, on Flickr
When in Storybook Circus, what else does one do?
Fly with elephants, of course!
48430881776_9e3813537a_z.jpg
48430882146_973e2e41ff_z.jpg
Everyone enjoyed Dumbo. We’d only been in the park a little over an hour and the kids had already asked to ride the Tomorrowland Speedway.
It was hot. Did I mention it was mid-July?
90+ degrees every day with a heat index in triple digits?
We tried to be smart about using shade and AC to break up our time in the heat, so I wasn’t crazy about waiting in that line. It was only posted 15 minutes and didn’t look too bad. Might as well get it out of the way...
Thankfully the line did move well. Not a lot of FP coming back through and we were on in just under the posted 15 minutes.
48431022982_55c75f9668_z.jpg
We’d drained our drinks before riding the speedway, so after we got off I headed into Cosmic Rays to make use of the newly installed water fountains with the bottle fill station. I wish they had more of those around, it’s quicker and easier than even asking for a cup... only downside is you can’t get ice from them.
B had requested riding Under The Sea, so we headed back that way. Actually, she wanted to meet Ariel, but we didn’t quite have time for that. Under the Sea ended up having a 15 minute wait. Honestly the longest line I’ve ever waited in for that ride!
I was still nervous about the dark ride aspect after our ride on Peter Pan and was afraid Ursula would freak R out.

Being the world’s best dad and husband that I am, I handed him to DW and said he’s probably going to want to ride with you!
B was going to ride with me and just as she took the first step onto the moving platform to board, everything came to a halt.
It looked like there was something wrong with a clamshell at the unload station and they had maintenance there doing something to it. About 5 minutes later we finally got on.
The kids, R included, ended up enjoying the ride. He liked the colors and music and even the darker part didn’t scare him.
Our morning had gone ok. I’ll admit, it seemed like we were seeing longer lines than we’d expected based on past experience and seeing how low the crowds were “supposed” to be that week. I expected more walk on opportunities during that first hour like we’ve had on past trips, but obviously the early morning magic and 7DMT being closed really inflated everything in Fantasyland.
Since our plan had been to rope drop and then standby whatever we could in Fantasyland that morning, we’d actually gone with later FPs than normal revolving around our lunch ADR and check-in at CBR.
Our first FP was for Space Mountain. L, B and I went to ride first after grabbing a Rider Switch pass.
We started walking into the FP queue. I’m struggling to explain it, but when you enter the line you go down to a low spot and then go up a ramp... well, at the low point, we came to a stop. The FP line was backed up that far. Standby people just kept walking past. People in the FP line started questioning if something got screwed up and we were somehow in the wrong line. We ended up waiting about 20 minutes to ride. But as we’d find out, we were in fact in the FP line. We eventually caught up with those standby people that passed us. All the switchbacks on the left side were full of standby riders and FP was going to the right with none of the switchbacks open.
I love Space Mountain. Or I should say I used to love Space Mountain.
This time, it hurt. I don’t know what it was, but it just felt really rough. I’d usually try to find other FPs later in the week or find a way to ride again if I could, but after this ride, I just didn’t care to.
We went back out to find DW and R hanging out in the shade. She’d gotten him a frozen drink to help cool off and keep him occupied. We quickly learned a valuable lesson about paper straws, frozen drinks, and a toddler.
Just grab a handful of straws.
Frozen drinks seemed to be a little hard on those paper straws and on top of that, he tends to chew straws. I think we went through about 8 of them on that drink alone. In any case, it was hydration, it cooled him off and he was happy.
This is also when he discovered a new hobby. Chasing birds. I think he thought it was the coolest thing ever that birds would land within a few feet of him to pick up popcorn off the ground. And apparently he thought he wanted to catch one.
Thankfully, he didn’t.
But it was entertaining to watch!
As you can see, at this point R was in a pretty good while we were hanging around waiting.
48430877096_3aa3df8405_z.jpg
By this time, we were ready to head back toward Main Street.
It was almost lunch time and although I hadn’t received a text yet, we were hoping to be able to check in and unpack before returning to MK in the afternoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter