• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mickey's Fun Wheel, Ride or Not?

I hated the swinging cars and wanted off so bad... then the ride messed up and bypassed us getting off and we had to go around again. My husband thought it was worth it as we got one of those free any ride fast passes... I didn't think it was worth it and insisted on a nice safe ride that didn't leave the ground so if the ride broke worst case we would just get walked off... so we went with TSM

Okay, some people have a love/hate relationship with this ride. I personally don't mind the swinging gondola as long as I'm facing a certain direction. The first time I brought a friend who is WDW vet and enjoys roller coasters didn't like the swinging gondola at all. During the ride she said she was getting sick and wanted off but made it through the ride. I have never tried the non-swinging gondola but if I'm sure it's a piece of cake after my many times on the swinging side.

I'll stick to the regular. I'm not fond of that 'freefalling' feeling. If ToT's tiny little lap restraint worried you at any point, stay away. I can do more intense rides with that dropping feeling if they have good restraints in place. Over-the-shoulder or bust. But the idea of being high in the air in a swinging gondola that feels like it's completely out of control... noooo thank you.

I'd stay away from this one, the sliding feels like a car crash.

I hate the swinging gondolas, they scare me to death. Which is why I love the ride, makes me feel alive!

And it's the sun wheel, really don't like what's been done to the DCA entrance and theme. Bring back the letters!!!

I hate the swinging gondolas, they scare me to death. Which is why I love the ride, makes me feel alive!

And it's the sun wheel, really don't like what's been done to the DCA entrance and theme. Bring back the letters!!!

I never got to see the original theming at DCA in person, but from the many photos I've seen it looked rather... cheesy. I love the vintage California theme.

Okay, some people have a love/hate relationship with this ride. I personally don't mind the swinging gondola as long as I'm facing a certain direction. The first time I brought a friend who is WDW vet and enjoys roller coasters didn't like the swinging gondola at all. During the ride she said she was getting sick and wanted off but made it through the ride. I have never tried the non-swinging gondola but if I'm sure it's a piece of cake after my many times on the swinging side.

^^This. I love the swinging gondolas, but it's a completely different ride depending on which way you are facing. Make sure when boarding, you sit on the left side (facing towards King Triton's Carousel). That way, when your gondola starts to slide, you will be moving forwards. If you're facing backwards (facing the Silly Symphony Swings), the swinging is much more unexpected and a little scarier.

Just FYI, the California letters are now at the entrance to the CA state fair (Sacramento)! Just saw them last weekend. I'm glad they put them someplace public.

Thank you everybody for your responses!!! I searched videos and reviews, but could not find out all the things you all told me here. I'm not afraid of heights, but do suffer from Motion Sickness. So I guess I'll pass!

Thanks again! :D

We love it, but my kids tend to be sensory seeking (baby thought it was hilarious!) I was on it once with a poor woman who got quite sick. I tried to explain to her to look at the horizon rather than down, but I don't speak Japanese.

My son didn't want to go on the swinging car but the rest of us insisted that he would probably enjoy it. We were entirely correct. He did enjoy it. Unfortunately, the rest of us found it to be a truly terrifying ride and you cannot get us to go near the Wheel of Death ever again.

My 6 and 3 year old daughters loved it. I was fine with it until my husband the engineer started examining it and talking about how he connections they were using have failed in other places, fatigue, etc. he won't ride it again but the kids and I probably still would. I don't usually get scared on any ride but he did it to me.

I think it's a lot of fun. You get higher on the non-swinging cars, so if you want a better view, that's the one to take. But I find the swinging cars to be lots of fun.

I wouldn't ride it if the line is very long. It's not worth more than a 15 minute wait.

I never got to see the original theming at DCA in person, but from the many photos I've seen it looked rather... cheesy. I love the vintage California theme.

We went in 2001 when it opened. Although the park had problems (rides constantly breaking down), it had a magical Californian theme. A discussion for another thread though I suspect.

DISers! Thank you! I'm a ride chicken, so I know I wont do well on this! I'll just ride in the stationary ones!
Now I'm trying to figure out if California Screamin' is as bad as Rockin' Rollar coaster! I can't stand that sudden take-off!

I did the swinging side in 2006 - screamed so loud that people on the ground below were laughing their heads off at me. Ugh, I was terrified!! On our last trip in 2013 I insisted on riding on the other non-swinging side eventhough the wait to get on was about twice as long! Never again will I do the swinging side....

Omg I went on it years ago and still talk about how terrifying the swinging gondola was. I literally almost started crying lol and I was in my early 20s. I almost kissed the ground when it ended.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter