Mid-August vs Mid-September Heat/Crowds

lynzi2004

DIS Veteran
We have a trip booked for mid-September 17-22 with free dining right now. It’s a birthday trip for DD7 (birthday is on the 19th). They just realeased the school calendar and due to construction we are starting a full 2 weeks later than normal on Aug 28. DH and I are thinking about switching to Aug 18-24. Going in August gives us a couple extra days and DD didn’t mind not being there on her actual birthday. What is your opinion on the heat? I fully understand it will be hot both times, but is August that much worse than September? Our party is DH, DD7, DS6, and DS 18 months.

We have been in early Sept and yes it is warm, but doable. We always go early in the morning and take a break around early afternoon. Don’t wait until 3 because everyone else is doing that and pools can get crowded. I live in the south, so use to carrying hydration and worth investing in cooling towels for everyone. I put ice in a ziplock with the cooling towels. Just take it slow and it is worth the lower crowds.

Last year, it was actually hotter during our early September trip than our early August trip! I have never sweat so much! I would say the weather shouldn’t be significantly different, so go whenever works best for your schedule.

August will be hotternell. September will be HOT too. As PP said, not a huge difference, though IMHO the heat (but not humidity) breaks after dark more in September. _I_ would give a slight edge to September for that and because most schools will be back in session by then.

We went in mid-August 2017 and mid-September 2018. September felt hotter to us, actually, and crowds felt similar. I would do what works best for you.

Thank you for the replies...about what I was expecting! Not much difference. I went ahead and booked for August as well with the $200 deposit so that will give us a little more time to decide. I’m eyeing one of those cheaper MNSSHP dates as well in early August!

I have found crowds to be smaller during mid September vs. mid August. The weather is similar but cools off more at night during September. Also the advantage of mid September is the Food & Wine festival. You could snack around the world if you plan on exploring the world showcase one afternoon.

Lucy

We have a trip booked for mid-September 17-22 with free dining right now. It’s a birthday trip for DD7 (birthday is on the 19th). They just realeased the school calendar and due to construction we are starting a full 2 weeks later than normal on Aug 28. DH and I are thinking about switching to Aug 18-24. Going in August gives us a couple extra days and DD didn’t mind not being there on her actual birthday. What is your opinion on the heat? I fully understand it will be hot both times, but is August that much worse than September? Our party is DH, DD7, DS6, and DS 18 months.
There are anecdotes, there is weather data and then there is variation to all of that.

I find weather data helpful. See "Detailed Weather Data for WDW" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=23004631

:wizard:

When I was there in September it was (unknowingly) during the week of the lovebugs. And I'm not talking about the fictional car.

I'm talking about these things getting all over you during your entire trip. :laughing:

Last year, it was actually hotter during our early September trip than our early August trip! I have never sweat so much! I would say the weather shouldn’t be significantly different, so go whenever works best for your schedule.

We went in July 2018 and Oct 2018...they were the same!!! Literally, the exact same temps & humidity. The only difference was in Oct the sun went down sooner to lessen radiant heat sooner.

We were there this past September, the last week. The great news is that crowds were extremely manageable. We went in that sweet spot where school had started for everyone and it was too soon for most to pull their kids out for a quick trip, we missed the Jewish holidays by about a week (always a big vacation time for my area), and Columbus Day was a couple of weeks away. It was fantastic...as long as you can deal with the 90+ degree heat and humidity we had every day. Personally, I can deal with that, but be prepared to take midday breaks and be prepared to be at least mildly sweaty at all times, lol.

I live here....the heat/humidity is the same both months. We do NOT go to the parks at all during those times. Crowds will be less during the week during September and late August as school is back in session. As for love bugs, they're attracted to white so avoid white tshirts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter