• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mid-day Breaks with One Park per Day tickets

DiannaVM

DIS Veteran
Hi all. This is probably going to be a silly question but with all the changes that have happened with COVID19, it is a legitimate concern.

We will be traveling in March with our daughter who will be 20 months when we go. In order to keep expectations low and save a little cash, we are not getting park hoppers this time and only doing the one-park-per-day tickets. I know before if you left the park, you could come back to the same park on the same day. Does that still apply? I am not planning on really leaving the park during the day because we will probably leave early each day anyway, but if she needed a break, could I go to the hotel for a nap and then come back to the park later?

Also all the tips for doing Disney with an 20 month old are greatly appreciated lol.

Last edited:
I've gone with a 20 month old, at that age flexibility is key. Stay on top of diaper changes and keep her hydrated.

My kid hated every ride so we just stopped going on rides with a few exceptions for the adults (we had a non riding adult so we didn't need to rider swap).

Mine was a stroller napper, and we made it from just after rope drop to about 7 most days. (I think we did 4 park days with park hoppers).

This time around it's with a 5.5 year old and a 20 month old and we're doing 7 park days.

I've gone with a 20 month old, at that age flexibility is key. Stay on top of diaper changes and keep her hydrated.

My kid hated every ride so we just stopped going on rides with a few exceptions for the adults (we had a non riding adult so we didn't need to rider swap).

Mine was a stroller napper, and we made it from just after rope drop to about 7 most days. (I think we did 4 park days with park hoppers).

This time around it's with a 5.5 year old and a 20 month old and we're doing 7 park days.

Yeah, we are only doing 3 parks because that's the best we could afford on such "short" notice and because also we will be renting a car this time because that seems more feasible with a toddler than trying to maneuver Disney transportation with her.

I really hope she naps in the stroller so we can avoid leaving the park at all, but she is also a horrible napper period, so who knows what will happen. We do plan on doing rope-drop, but because we plan on doing dinner at either the hotel or somewhere out of the park, I am thinking about 6/7 will be when we leave each park.

I think she will be OK with the rides because she loves that kind of stuff anyway, so I am more concerned about her loosing her paitence when shehas to wait in lines.This will also be our first time using rider swap because there are some rides all adults will want to go on, so we shall see how well that works out too.

Yeah, we are only doing 3 parks because that's the best we could afford on such "short" notice and because also we will be renting a car this time because that seems more feasible with a toddler than trying to maneuver Disney transportation with her.

I really hope she naps in the stroller so we can avoid leaving the park at all, but she is also a horrible napper period, so who knows what will happen. We do plan on doing rope-drop, but because we plan on doing dinner at either the hotel or somewhere out of the park, I am thinking about 6/7 will be when we leave each park.

I think she will be OK with the rides because she loves that kind of stuff anyway, so I am more concerned about her loosing her paitence when shehas to wait in lines.This will also be our first time using rider swap because there are some rides all adults will want to go on, so we shall see how well that works out too.
one thing to remember even with a rental car you will still have to use Disney transportation for MK. you can not walk from parking lots. that means if you leave mid day allow at least 30 minutes to reach your car from the front gate. another thing to think about how does she do when she falls asleep in car and is woke up shortly? thinking about your plan for dinner after leaving parks

one thing to remember even with a rental car you will still have to use Disney transportation for MK. you can not walk from parking lots. that means if you leave mid day allow at least 30 minutes to reach your car from the front gate. another thing to think about how does she do when she falls asleep in car and is woke up shortly? thinking about your plan for dinner after leaving parks
Yes, that is actually going to be the last park of our visit, so I am hoping by then we got the kinks figured out so we won't have to leave MK at midday. That day we also won't be staying on property, but yeah we already took into account that we gotta do the ferry or monorail from TTC to the park and back to TTC to the car.

I never found it difficult to use Disney transportation with little ones. Our first trip was when our kids were 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 years old. We both went on that trip, then the next 2 years I took both toddlers by myself and used Disney busses. It was great to not have to worry about driving and car seats. That is one of the main reasons why we love WDW so much, you don't have to worry about driving around with a bunch of other tourists that have no idea where they are going. LOL

My son was under 2 the first time we went; yes to a stroller; but also yes to Disney Transportation. That was never an issue, except when pretty much ALL the kids (and some adults too) fall asleep on the bus after park close, and then they turn the lights on when they arrive at your resort, and all the kids start crying :(

I would say that hydration and packing snacks well are super important. Use the stroller as home base (remember a cover in case of rain); hungry kids at Disney is no fun, and lines can be unpredictable. There will definitely be attractions that are fun for that age; enjoy the reactions and take lots of pictures!

As far as leaving and coming back - for us, Animal Kingdom and Holly wood at that age might be short day parks (park open-ish to after lunch). Magic Kingdom and Epcot would be the two parks where I might consider a mid-day break - MK for sure. You may find that nap times are unpredictable - my son always fell asleep in both the stroller and the car, so you might not need to return to your room if that's the case. Use nap time to grab a snack, Starbucks, stroll through World Showcase. Just enjoy the memories!

My son was under 2 the first time we went; yes to a stroller; but also yes to Disney Transportation. That was never an issue, except when pretty much ALL the kids (and some adults too) fall asleep on the bus after park close, and then they turn the lights on when they arrive at your resort, and all the kids start crying :(

I would say that hydration and packing snacks well are super important. Use the stroller as home base (remember a cover in case of rain); hungry kids at Disney is no fun, and lines can be unpredictable. There will definitely be attractions that are fun for that age; enjoy the reactions and take lots of pictures!

As far as leaving and coming back - for us, Animal Kingdom and Holly wood at that age might be short day parks (park open-ish to after lunch). Magic Kingdom and Epcot would be the two parks where I might consider a mid-day break - MK for sure. You may find that nap times are unpredictable - my son always fell asleep in both the stroller and the car, so you might not need to return to your room if that's the case. Use nap time to grab a snack, Starbucks, stroll through World Showcase. Just enjoy the memories!
just watch leaving snacks in or under strollers, the Disney freeloaders know where to look with strollers. I have even seen them licking tops of sippy cups left in the trays. this was with people walking right beside the strollers

Honestly, part of our issue with Disney transportation is COVID (although I realize its silly since we will be around people during the day at the parks :rolleyes2), but also I've always used Disney transportation when going to WDW, and because we are staying at a Value Resort, I always find that it becomes very hit or miss. Especially when you are in a hurry to get back home. Im just trying to save the meltdown that may happen when leaving the parks at night time and she is tired but we have to wait for our bus. Epcot tends to be the worst with this in my experiences.

The snacks thing, we are travelling by plane (her first time!) and so I have been well-adviced about making sure snacks are always plentiful lol. And I love being able to take my own stroller for sure. Its one of those fancy umbrella strollers, so it actually reclines in case she falls asleep, but like I said she is so random with naps. Even at home I cant get her on a proper nap schedule and some days she even skips her nap because she fights it so much. I am hoping that all the excitment tires her out to do stroller naps. If not, pretty safe bet she will sleep in the car. I will definitely be purchasing a cover for it for sure.

just watch leaving snacks in or under strollers, the Disney freeloaders know where to look with strollers. I have even seen them licking tops of sippy cups left in the trays. this was with people walking right beside the strollers

That is great entertainment right there. Watching the squirrels dig around strollers. LOL

That is great entertainment right there. Watching the squirrels dig around strollers. LOL
LOL. The last time I was at Disney with a stroller was when I was the one in the stroller (anyone remembers the metal-frame blue strollers Disney had in the early 90s? Lol) , so its going to be interesting. Food may be the only thing we leave behind with the stroller, but it will probably be the food we will no longer consume or is sealed. Squirrels are funny, other Disney-freeloaders not so much, so the diaper bag is pretty much coming on the rides with us.

LOL. The last time I was at Disney with a stroller was when I was the one in the stroller (anyone remembers the metal-frame blue strollers Disney had in the early 90s? Lol) , so its going to be interesting. Food may be the only thing we leave behind with the stroller, but it will probably be the food we will no longer consume or is sealed. Squirrels are funny, other Disney-freeloaders not so much, so the diaper bag is pretty much coming on the rides with us.
it is fun to watch the squirrels going stroller to stroller. make sure you either have a cover/lid for any sippy cup to leave on stroller. have seen them going stroller to stroller licking top of cups besides grabbing snacks. no way to tell if that has happened

Invest in a baby carrier! I prefer Kinderpack and you can find good deals on BST and Ebay just pay attention to the sizing. It was so easy for me to back carry while waiting in line they can easily get over-stimulated and want to be held and your arms will be so tired. I did like to keep the bag with the stroller and carry a smaller bag with phone and money on the rides. I clip a strap to the frame of the stroller it could still get taken but it's going to not make it easy. Don't bring an expensive diaper bag just get a $15 large tote and pack with pouches so you can easily grab out what you need. Find some way to make it easy to find your stroller since cast members are constantly organizing and rearranging your stroller won't be where you left it. My son was 20 months for his first trip and was a little scared during some of the dark rides.

Invest in a baby carrier! I prefer Kinderpack and you can find good deals on BST and Ebay just pay attention to the sizing. It was so easy for me to back carry while waiting in line they can easily get over-stimulated and want to be held and your arms will be so tired. I did like to keep the bag with the stroller and carry a smaller bag with phone and money on the rides. I clip a strap to the frame of the stroller it could still get taken but it's going to not make it easy. Don't bring an expensive diaper bag just get a $15 large tote and pack with pouches so you can easily grab out what you need. Find some way to make it easy to find your stroller since cast members are constantly organizing and rearranging your stroller won't be where you left it. My son was 20 months for his first trip and was a little scared during some of the dark rides.

We have an ErgoBaby we had since she was an infant and she is not a fan. She is the type that likes to be free lol (we are now practicing the whole "hold hands when its unsafe" thing and its not going well lol. She throws herself on the ground half the time when I get her to the car door >_< ) I may try it again and see how she does with it to see if it's worth taking it. I did get a leash for her though lol. I always swore I wouldn't be the parent to use a leash backpack, but honestly its the best compromise in a crowded area when she wants to explore. She will probably want to either be held or be in the stroller most of the time though so we shall see.

And yes, my sister is going to make a nice laminated sign to go on the stroller to help us distinguish it from amongst the sea of strollers. Also, balloons are so expensive, but seriously considering one as well to tie on to the stroller.

We have an ErgoBaby we had since she was an infant and she is not a fan. She is the type that likes to be free lol (we are now practicing the whole "hold hands when its unsafe" thing and its not going well lol. She throws herself on the ground half the time when I get her to the car door >_< ) I may try it again and see how she does with it to see if it's worth taking it. I did get a leash for her though lol. I always swore I wouldn't be the parent to use a leash backpack, but honestly its the best compromise in a crowded area when she wants to explore. She will probably want to either be held or be in the stroller most of the time though so we shall see.

And yes, my sister is going to make a nice laminated sign to go on the stroller to help us distinguish it from amongst the sea of strollers. Also, balloons are so expensive, but seriously considering one as well to tie on to the stroller.
with the leash be careful that she does not catch someone using a cane or other device in the leash when in crowds. you will need to keep leash short in crowds so it may not help as much as you think

with the leash be careful that she does not catch someone using a cane or other device in the leash when in crowds. you will need to keep leash short in crowds so it may not help as much as you think
Yes I did get told this, which is why they told me the backpack/harness is better than the wrist ones as those have more give lengthwise and aren't as easy to scale back as the backpacks. I will mostly be resorting to the leash in the event she refuses to hold our hands, but I am working on that with her now so hopefully, she won't be too resistive in time of the trip.

And no, she doesn't really go anywhere, which is why she has little practice being in public spaces that require hand-holding (also because usually if she goes in public she is either in a stroller or someone is holding her).

Yes I did get told this, which is why they told me the backpack/harness is better than the wrist ones as those have more give lengthwise and aren't as easy to scale back as the backpacks. I will mostly be resorting to the leash in the event she refuses to hold our hands, but I am working on that with her now so hopefully, she won't be too resistive in time of the trip.

And no, she doesn't really go anywhere, which is why she has little practice being in public spaces that require hand-holding (also because usually if she goes in public she is either in a stroller or someone is holding her).
at small park I work at had a mother upset when her toddler ran around me and leash caught on my cane causing her toddler to fall. she was sure it was my fault that I tripped her child. Ps it was a backpack not a wrist leash

At that age we would drive to the park early for rope drop (we were always parked very close to entrance), we would go back to resort for a nap break using Disney transportation then back to the park until closing time or when the kids would have enough. We loved the fact that our car was parked close to entrance/exit and didn’t have to wait for the bus when all we wanted was to get the kids in their beds asap.

Never had to use a leash but had a lot of success with a tagalong handle. We put a Mickey Mouse sticker on it and my kids knew that if they wanted to walk, they had to hold Mickey’s handle.
Tagalong Stroller Handle |Detachable Stroller Accessory to Keep Kids Close| Promotes Child Independence | Works on Shopping Carts and More! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F2XNQNC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_N1VPTC14CXWF3Z3WQA79

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter