Might be putting kitty down today...update post #18

Alberta bound

Mouseketeer
:sad1: My 10 year old kitty was diagnosed with feline leukemia about 6 weeks ago. She is indoor only and the only pet so it came as a shock. Always had her yearly vet care.
Anyways when she was diagnosed I didn't think she was going to make it through the week. Very listless, etc. with lots of TLC she perked up. I know she was on borrowed time.
Last Thursday she started slowing down again. She has neurologic symptoms. She will be walking and just stop and stand staring for 5 minutes or so. She reminds me of someone with dementia. ( That's the RN in me talking.)
Anyway she only weighed 9 lbs to begin with but I can feel her ribs quite plainly. She won't eat and barely drinks. Not much happening in the litter box. Im afraid her organs might be shutting down.:(

We go in to the today at 2:20 PST. This is to see if anything can be done or if we should let her go. I'm in tears just typing this. I've been around dying patients for many years you would thing I would be better at this. But I'm emotionally involved with Annie my kitty.
Sorry for this downer post. I just wanted to reach out to someone even if you are just on the web!
I will let you all know what happens to Annie in a few hours. Almost noon for me here. Am just holding my kitty for now. :sad:

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I have had animals all my life, aging and illness with them is never easy. I put my 16 year old Sphynx kitty down on January 29th. It was soooo hard.

You are in my thoughts, please have strength for her no matter the outcome today.

Had to put our almost 18 year old kitty down right before Christmas. It is so tough. let me tell you!!! :sad1: :hug:

I'm sorry. Losing a pet is so hard. They are truly a family member and full of unconditional love. :hug:

So very sorry. Have been in your shoes many time over the years, with several cats. They trust you to do what is best for them, even when it's an impossibly sad decision. Sending prayers and hugs to you and your sweet girl.

We lost our 17 1/2 Simba a little over a year ago. It is so hard letting go of our fur babies, the decision is very very hard. Sending hugs to you!

I'm so sorry. We had to have our 14 year old kitty put down in January and I can't remember the last time I cried so hard. Now our other (12 year old) girl was just diagnosed with kidney failure, and I'm dreading going through it all over again. So hard.

OP here. Thanks so much all of you. We have a couple day reprieve. The vet gave her a steroid shot and they gave her some sub q fluids. She is alert but just wants to be curled up. The vet said to give her until Thursday to see if she perks up. Or if she deteriorates before then to come back and and that will be it.
She's laying on my bed where she has been spending her days. She has refused newly opened canned food, solid food and her favorite snacks. I guess we will see.
I will let you all know what happens.

Thanks so much for the support!!! :hug:

Sending healing thoughts to miss Annie! My cats are my kids, right along with my real kid. So I understand the kind of love you feel for her and how hard it is to watch her decline.

Sorry that your kitty is on her way out :( It's always hard to lose them, especially since you wish they could live as long as you do. Just know that she had a good, long life, and you took good care of her until the end.

Aww, I am so sorry. I lost my tabby when he was only 10 years old. He developed kidney failure. It was terrible; you don't expect that you'll lose them so soon.

I've had my girl for seven years now (she's eight). I'm hoping that she'll live for a long time because I can't bear the thought of losing her.

I am so very sorry for what you are going through right now. I just, this past Thursday morning, had to take our family feline of nearly 19 years, also named Annie, to the vet for the last time. I woke up and found her paralyzed, struggling to get up. We knew that her health was declining, in fact, very recently she had neurologic symptoms similar to your pet's, but did not expect this at all. The first day was SO HARD. Taking her to the vet was the "easy" part. I knew it was the right decision and I didn't want her to suffer further in the condition she was in. The hard part began when I came home afterwards and there was "always something there to remind me." I kept waiting for her to jump up on my lap when I sat down, meowing at my feet while I prepared supper, and calling to wake me up in the morning. Finding a tuft of fur on the stairs or even just looking into her special corner and finding it empty, continually brought tears to my eyes.

It is never easy when we are faced with the hard decisions concerning our pets. I was raised on a farm and experienced the "circle of life" many times over where our animals and pets were concerned, but none of that compared to the heart-break that I experienced this past week. No amount of mental preparation, knowing she was growing older and was starting to have issues, could prepare me for the grief I experienced. I am sure that your vet will help you come to the right decision and assist you in what you can do for your pet. Sometimes the best thing that we can do for them is to let them go, hard as that decision may be.

Again, I am so sorry for the decisions you will be facing today and my heart goes out to you. It is never easy saying good-bye to those we love, especially when they weave themselves into the very fabric of our daily lives and bring us so much comfort and happiness.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for your thoughts, prayers and stories!
Last night Annie just looked awful. She was hanging her head looking unhappy. She wouldn't eat a thing even smelly tuna fish! She wouldn't drink either. I kept her on my bed on me all night. This morning she was so lethargic. I carried her to the litter box. She peed a bit but that was it. Her tummy was tense and she looked uncomfortable. I called the vet and they said come right on down. It took 3 needle sticks to get into a vein because despite the fluid last night she as so dehydrated. But during the needle sticks she never even stirred. I had her in my arms with my face in her fur as she was put to sleep.
Im absolutely gutted but I know it was the right decision and time.

Good bye my beloved Annie. My heart went with you. I'm so sorry we couldn't help you. You will be remembered and loved always.

Last edited:
:hug: anyone who's lost a pet knows this pain. We all feel for you.

You did help her, you let her go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter